Winch - ComeUp Vs Warn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone;

Any thoughts on this one?
Im adding a winch to my ARB Summit bumper for the 200.

ComeUp comes prewound, with remote etc, and as far as I know Warn everything is an extra

Which would you pick and why

I'd choose the Sherpa Colt , or if your winch tray can handle 17k, the Sherpa Steed.
Of course this isn't what you asked. Between the two you suggested both review well, I lean Warn, but I think that's marketing and the fact it's a PNW company.

I'd choose the Sherpa Colt , or if your winch tray can handle 17k, the Sherpa Steed.
Of course this isn't what you asked. Between the two you suggested both review well, I lean Warn, but I think that's marketing and the fact it's a PNW company.
FWIW Warn may be a PNW based company however some models of Warn are NOT made in America. Full disclaimer, I own 3 Warns all American made.

FWIW Warn may be a PNW based company however some models of Warn are NOT made in America. Full disclaimer, I own 3 Warns all American made.
I doubt the sub $1k mass market will be US made by any company.

Warn's non-VR winches are assembled in Oregon with some globally sourced parts. They continue to manufacture substantial parts of their winches at the Oregon factory, like machining cases and gears. The Warn VR line is fully made in China.
** from the internet . . .**

I didn't see that restriction, sorry.
no, not a restriction, just a generalization. OP didn't specify a $, just a couple brands.

I'm looking at Sherpa because it was the lone survivor on duty cycles (survived six, a select few others made it thru five) in a 5 years ago winch test that was standardized (tractor pull sled, equalized power source, etc.). It didn't win because it has a conservative gear ratio (slower pull). Of the actual winches in the test, not many models are still available that were tested, and even the Sherpa has redesigned it's control box.

I also peaked at Ironman4x4's offering.
And the badlands apex is a thing too.

It's really hard to differentiate between them all in the $1k and below market. I guess warranty is a good indicator perhaps.

It's just risk management. Everything can and will fail either thru misuse, operator error, lack of PM or the little electrons go on vacation. I would venture that 60 to 70% of the installed winches have never done a pull beyond the initial spooling of wire/rope. Would it be tacky to hope for an oil thread? :rofl:

I went through this exercise last year. Have had 3 Warn winches before with minimal issues. I assumed going in that I would go with a Warn Zeon 12S. In talking it over with my local go-to shop, they convinced me on a Comeup Seal Gen2 12.5rs. With similar specs, they are cheaper, come standard with wireless remote, and are much easier to work on and fix if there's any issues. I guess Warn often wants you to send the winches back when under warranty and are sometimes difficult to work with to get warranty parts. They often want their hands on it to confirm issue and fix. So, there's a lot of added costs for labor to remove and to ship back and forth. Just sounds like Warn is sometimes a pain to deal with and Comeup is easy to work with. I appreciated the honesty as there's obviously more money for the shop in selling me a Zeon 12S, but they recommended Comeup.

I’ve had both the come up sealed 12.5 and the Xeon platinum. I would do the Come Up every time. Warn customer service is inept. The remote on the warne dies every 48-72 hours. You will have to leave it on a charger. There is no corded backup. The Come Up does not have the issue and it has a corded backup as well

I have a cheap corded warn VR12 synthetic, and it has worked well the few times I've used it on trail. It isn't fast. I have a bias against cordless remotes (driven by a trusted 4wd instructor's well informed opinion). I received it with a solenoid cover cracked, customer service was great and sent me the part without issue. The warn reputation and warranty played strongly into my purchasing decision. The warranty is the same, regardless where in the globe your warn winch was made.

Last edited:
There may be some insights for you in the winch section of Mud too, since it’s not just a 200 series question.

I installed a Warn VR EVO 10S last month.

The latest VRs come standard with full wireless remote capability. It's powered by 3x AAA batteries. The same remote controller can be used in wired mode with the provided cord.

I installed a Warn VR EVO 10S last month.

The latest VRs come standard with full wireless remote capability. It's powered by 3x AAA batteries. The same remote controller can be used in wired mode with the provided cord.
Good point. My ~1 year old Warn can be used wirelessly too, I forgot about that. I don't use it that way in the field, but I have at home, for respooling after cleaning the line.

I would consider your likely use - will you install and then use regularly or will it be bumper art until called upon? I have seen too many videos where guys found themselves out with a non-functioning winch (Come Up and Warn as well as others) when they needed it. If you are going to install it with the ounce of prevention method in mind, then be prepared for it to not be good to go when called upon after three years running about in the elements - meaning regular tests to save WTF moments in the wild. I have used two Warns in the past and never had a problem. They functioned well the few times they were called upon, however there are many examples where that is not so. I think a case can be made for the cheaper brands making a lot of sense as it is not as frustrating when they fail - at least financially. Matt's Off-road seems to beat the heck out of their Apex winch with daily use - as far as I've seen without issue. They are usually available with a coupon for around $500. I would prefer to buy American, but much like my LC, sometimes the best fit is not domestic.

Last edited:
I would consider your likely use - will you install and then use regularly or will it be bumper art until called upon? I have seen too many videos where guys found themselves out with a non-functioning winch (Come Up and Warn as well as others) when they needed it. If you are going to install it with the ounce of prevention method in mind, then be prepared for it to not be good to go when called upon after three years running about in the elements - meaning regular tests to save WTF moments in the wild. I have used two Warns in the past and never had a problem. They functioned well the few times they were called upon, however there are many examples where that is not so. I think a case can be made for the cheaper brands making a lot of sense as it is not as frustrating when they fail - at least financially. Matt's Off-road seems to beat the heck out of their Apex winch with daily use - as far as I've seen without issue. They are usually available with a coupon for around $500. I would refer to buy American, but much like my LC, sometimes the best fit is not domestic.
I would agree, Matt's is a resounding advertisement of the HF Apex unit. Also agree periodic use and maintaince are essential, same goes for First Aid/ Medical kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom