Winch cable theft prevention ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got new synthetic winch line for my Warn M12000. Cost a bundle. I have been thinking about how easy it would be for someone to just steal it. And my cruiser get's parked at my office garage for like a week at a time. It is secure (in theory), but about 500 folks pass by every day. Has anyone done anything to make the cable itself tougher to steal? I hate thieves!!!

You could try putting a padlock thru the cable eye and lock it to something else on the front bumper.

Is there any quick way to make the knob removable on a new warn winch? I think that would do it. I have thought about locking the front thimble. But I am worried someone could just cut it off, and take the rest of the cable.

You could try putting a padlock thru the cable eye and lock it to something else on the front bumper.
0582012_450_CC_321c1.jpg

I'd have to agree about the cover. Out of sight, out of mind. I've never seen it done, but maybe you could get a lock box fabricated to cover the roller fairlead and hook. Just an idea......

Spray paint the synth rope black and sprinkle rusty iron dust all over it.

Nobody wants to steal rusty steel line!

Where, exactly, do you park?:D

Were I a thief I sure wouldn't waste my time unspooling all that cable to steal it. I'd be taking the whole winch; maybe the whole truck. Kinda a PITA to steal just the cable IMHO and most thieves are lazy SOB's... What's the street value of a stolen winch cable anyway? Gotta be less than a stereo or CD's or other more easily stolen item.

Nick

Were I a thief I sure wouldn't waste my time unspooling all that cable to steal it. I'd be taking the whole winch; maybe the whole truck. Kinda a PITA to steal just the cable IMHO and most thieves are lazy SOB's... What's the street value of a stolen winch cable anyway? Gotta be less than a stereo or CD's or other more easily stolen item.

Nick

I tack welded the nuts that secure the winch and bumper on my 40. I can still grind the welds off if ned be but I'm hoping they will be enough to deter a would be theif.

As far as the street value of cable, they may just want it for their own use. Not all off roaders are as nice as LC people.

i dont have a warn winch, but if i winch the cable on mine till its tight i would brake the clutch lever off before it would release, unless i give it some slack first.

But if you could keep it covered- out of sight out of mind.

The only other bad thing would be if someone spooled about half the cable off and then wrapped it around a lightpole or another vehicle or something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom