Winch cable replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a pretty nice model 8274 Warn winch. The previous owner had apparently screwed up the winch cable and cut it off right at the drum.
I was going to just by some new cable when a friend suggested going with a synthetic rope instead.
Anyone have experience with this stuff? Does it hold up?
The winch came with a roller fairlead. Would this be a problem with synthetic?

When I replaced mine, the consensus I came up with was to replace the rollers - small burs on the steel roller can abrade the line, also, the line can get torn between the rollers in hard angle pulls.

Personally, I think it's a great upgrade - stronger and MUCH easier to work with.

If you do it, check out 'Rockstomper.com'. They have the best prices and great service. Scott spent about half an hour with me on the phone answering questions before I ordered my rope.

Synthetic cables are great... but there are pro's and cons to each...

Synthetic...
Safer to use in instance of break (does not store energy, it absorbs it)
Lightwieght to handle
No more slivers from cable

Cable...
better abrasion resistance around rock
cools winch better
Doesn't crush (as badly) as rope does on the bottom layers...

If you have a cable and use your winch sporadically (sp?).. then stick with the cable, since you are in need of an upgrade, go with the rope from either Rockstomper or Rocklogic4x4.com, both are very knowledgable.

As for fairlead, I would go with a Hawse style when using a rope, rope can get caught in the corners of the roller-style fairlead and bind/tear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom