• cab control only

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • hand held control only

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • both possibilities

Votes: 31 70.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
Some might by now realise that I'm installing a winch on my truck. I'm curious as to how useful having the ability to control the winch from within the cab is. Since the hydraulic only uses to solenoids totally a 2amp draw, it's basically running 3 wires up to a SPDT momentary rocker switch. Nothing like what is posted on Slee's site.

The other option is to install both possibilities, cab control and also the hand held unit. This would require a relay to automatically cut out the cab control when the hand held unit was plugged in. Again this isn't really a big deal as the hand control has an extra pin which could be used for this purpose.

landtank,

I think it is more important to have an in-cabin shutoff than full control. Hand held + in-cabin control + in-cabin disable/enable is my plan.

-B-

Beowulf said:
landtank,

I think it is more important to have an in-cabin shutoff than full control. Hand held + in-cabin control + in-cabin disable/enable is my plan.

-B-

-B-

Could you expand on your thinking? Just curious as to the situations each set-up would be handy. When you say disable, do you mean a kill switch in an emergency?

landtank said:
Some might by now realise that I'm installing a winch on my truck. I'm curious as to how useful having the ability to control the winch from within the cab is. Since the hydraulic only uses to solenoids totally a 2amp draw, it's basically running 3 wires up to a SPDT momentary rocker switch. Nothing like what is posted on Slee's site.

The other option is to install both possibilities, cab control and also the hand held unit. This would require a relay to automatically cut out the cab control when the hand held unit was plugged in. Again this isn't really a big deal as the hand control has an extra pin which could be used for this purpose.

Rick - With an eye on budget, is the hand-held long enough to simply haul back in through the drivers window when "in-cab" control was needed?

Nate

I have both.

What the Wulf is refering to is an "arming" circuit that powers up the in-cabin control. That is what I have done. I have a conventional remote cable connector under the hood and in the cabin I have an arming switch and a cable control switch. The arming switch is in the dash and the cable in/out is in the console.

I see, wouldn't want to hit the switch by mistake. It might be just as easy to provide a socket that you plug in a control to. I'll have to hit the electronic store on the way home.

So Dan, does you arming switch have a flip guard on it?

Nate, the cable is long enough for it to reach the cab. I'm just thinkin if you typically operate the winch from behind the wheel it might be easier to have a mounted contol to work with. A hank of wire and a switch doesn't cost much. Besides I've got to stretch this mod out and make it last as it's the last one for a while.

Here is a shot of the arming switch and the cable control switch.
winch2.jpg
winchbuttons.jpg

I've got an in-cab in the 40....I never ever ever ever bother to use the handheld anymore....ever. One of my absolute favorite and most useful mods.

Lighted armed switch.....momentary in/out switch...3 wires off the winch solenoid. very simple.

Got both and use both depending on situation.

landtank said:
Dan, I'm thinking a rear window rocker out of a 4Runner for winch operation. Is that close to what you used?

A standard power window switch would work wouldnt it? (One without the auto down feature). Seems like the window swtich would be intuitive as well, pull up to reel IN and push down to spool OUT. Having the control on the center console seems to be a more comfortable spot then the dash and an arming switch also seems very smart.

Both is nice. Just don't do what a buddy did and start unspooling your cable as your cruising through the Lincoln Tunnel :doh: :D

Both-

remote incase the incab fails or some other unforseen reason.

in cab so there is one less thing to do/unpack/find before you're unstuck.

landtank said:
Dan, I'm thinking a rear window rocker out of a 4Runner for winch operation. Is that close to what you used?

The cable in/out is an 84-88 truck power antenna switch. The arming switch is an old non-US Cruiser fog lamp switch.

Wouldn’t you want the hand held so you could neatly/properly re-spool the cable for storage with only one person?

Since you have the ability/skill to easily do so I would think both would be best, options are always good. But I don’t have a winch so what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom