winch 12.5 + Platinum install + Blackened grill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed my Superwinch Talon 12.5 a couple weeks ago and blackened the grill while I was at it. Had to trim the front fairing a little (see pic) fits nice and snug in my Metal Tech bumper. I also installed a Sears Platinum Die Hard 34/78DT battery recently and replaced the negative terminal with a Tsunami brass one. The terminal fixed my intermittent starter problems. I had to cut the tie wraps holding the battery cables down to get them to fit the battery. My only disappointment is that the winch is made in China :confused:
P1040019.jpg
P1040025.jpg
P1040027.jpg

couple more pics
P1040026.jpg
P1040023.jpg

Mate,

Looks great, liked the blacken grill, might do the same thing, and put some mesh behine it too.

winch looks good too, how much was it, if its rated and you test it should be fine.

Let us know how the winch works

Jas

I also run the same 12.5k Superwinch and I wasn't thrilled that it was made in China. I looks like only Warn and Ramsey are made in the USA anymore. Keep in mind Superwinch designs their stuff in house and has a manufacture in China produce them, unlike T-Maxx, Smittybilt, etc who just re-label Chinese designed and built winches. I've also never heard any bad things about Superwinch's reliability so I assume the build quality is good regardless of made in China. I honestly have never used mine and probably never will but I did choose Superwinch due to the low amp drawn under load.

Some of the super winches are made in china, the Husky ones have the motors built by their devision in England and then sent to the US for assembly.

As long as there is to QC on the productions floor it doesn't really matter where it was built. (But I still prefer to buy from just about anywhere else)

Truck looks good.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I had to pull a Tacoma to spool the rope and it pulled it like nothing to where I had to pull the parking brake a bit.

Anton

Very nice truck. Nice to know a 12 will fit in the MT cradle. I just put a m8000 in mine.

Looks great.

How'd you blacken your grille? Prep? Paint?

Looks great.

How'd you blacken your grille? Prep? Paint?

Greentruck,

To prep it removed the grill, side marker lights, and other chrome parts.
I sanded it with 120 grit sand paper Masked the parts I didnt want painted with blue painters tape and started painting with plastic spray paint from Home Depot not sure of the brand maybe Krylon or Rustolium it was satin black color though. I added about 5 to 6 coats, and on the emblem I then coated it with some hammered paint from Rustolium dark grey color.

Anton

Anton,
Thanks, sounds pretty straightforward.
:beer:
I've been considering blacking mine out when I find some spare time.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom