Builds Wilson's FJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will have to check this out next week at Fall Crawl, I think last time you had the 100 down there. Are those 285's?

I thought so too, but they are 295s.

Yep, was 100 last time. Not sure what I'm driving yet. 🤪

My truck spent some time with @Pacer and came back much improved. Before he took it home a few weeks ago we removed the rear sway bar to install an HD one from whiteline. It didn't match up so will need holes drilled in it, but he wanted to test drive it without the sway bar and the ride improved remarkably. So I've been driving it without it until we have a sec to get the new one on.

He addressed a lot of problems I didn't even know I had and the truck is much happier. He also swapped out my MTs for smaller ATs that were on his 80 and the truck is working a lot less now.

Enjoyed a perfect weekend at Yankee Toys' Fall Gathering. The truck is such a pleasure to drive off-road. And -- as you probably could have guessed -- having real difficulty considering parting with it now.

View attachment 3137123View attachment 3137124View attachment 3137125View attachment 3137129
View attachment 3137134
Damn. Sold my 92 recently and already miss it, seeing that pic of yours with the dogs in it.

6FC3C745-1365-4114-9144-A444818CD41D.jpeg

Likely from front flexing over the years. This is a common issue with the 80 Series as the axle tabs for the sway bar are thin and only partially welded. I cut mine off and replaced with heavy duty sway bar links from Wits End. Heavier gauge steel and fully welded to the axle housing.
Yeah I heard about this. @landtank makes HD replacement brackets for the front sway bar. I got a set just in case.

Do you think disconnecting the front sway bar any time you go offroading will eliminate the chance of breaking the stock sway bar tabs? I imagine there’s not THAT much stress from street driving but I could be wrong, what do I know.

Damn. Sold my 92 recently and already miss it, seeing that pic of yours with the dogs in it.

View attachment 3138430

Sorry to hear it! Driving it this weekend convinced me to sell the 100 instead.

I had a pack at Fall Gathering!

Muppet + dingo + German. Zoo!

PXL_20221007_153637548.jpg
PXL_20221008_151401579.jpg
PXL_20221008_155220671.jpg
PXL_20221007_195238941.jpg

I’ll miss your 100. Loved seeing photos of you pulling the horse trailer with it and all the offroading trips.

Yeah I heard about this. @landtank makes HD replacement brackets for the front sway bar. I got a set just in case.

Do you think disconnecting the front sway bar any time you go offroading will eliminate the chance of breaking the stock sway bar tabs? I imagine there’s not THAT much stress from street driving but I could be wrong, what do I know.
I forget who makes a front swaybar disconnect kit, and it would relieve the stress on the mounts when flexing. However, it's one more "thing to do" and remember to undo before and after a trip. FWIW, I have no issues climbing with it connected.
I will say that if the front right side pulls off the axle, the swaybar can cut into the brake caliper line on that side and you will lose brakes, so it's better to be a little pro-active regarding the swaybar tabs.

I forget who makes a front swaybar disconnect kit
LandCruiserPhil.

LandCruiserPhil.

Yup that’s the one I got

I bought my UZJ100 in 2015. While I think the 80 is a much better looking truck, the towing capacity and side curtain airbags sold me on the 100.

I really love the 100--I wheel it, tow with it, take it on vacation, drive it across the country at least once a year. Rolling up to 250k and 140k of those miles are mine. I won't get rid of it until I'm told it isn't safe to drive anymore. And my husband is @Onur so I usually take his word for things even tho it's fun to argue with him. 💙

But I always wanted an 80.

Three years ago at Coal Mine Cruiser Classic, I swapped trucks with one of my husband's friends -- @BlueCruiser84 -- who has an 80. Listen, I was smitten with that mtn goat. I've been wheeling with 80s ever since the 100 got some armor, so I've noticed there's a tiny little difference.

Plus, an additional Cruiser is always a good idea.

Even though the blue 80s are beautiful - I really had to have white. And husband insisted on rust-free FZJ80. So he got some of what he wanted, and I got all of what I wanted, which is all that matters:

View attachment 2692696
View attachment 2692700
View attachment 2692701
View attachment 2692699

1992 FJ80. Onur picked it up for me on Saturday and got home to NY this AM. No issues. As far as I'm concerned we stole this truck.

He's already tossed the roof rack monstrosity and those decals and tires are next. He's ordered a bunch for this truck even though a lot of it probably won't go on for awhile because he's busy with his own projects.

He assured me I would hate the 3FE, but I love driving his lawn mower of a 70 so he's full of it.

After it gets baselined, I'll eventually do a 4" lift, skids, and front and rear bumpers. I'll also need lockers, cuz I'm so tired of @jonheld saying: "Engage the lockers! Oh, that's right, you don't have any."

I plan on spending a lot of time snooping around here to try and learn as much I can. Happy to finally

I bought my UZJ100 in 2015. While I think the 80 is a much better looking truck, the towing capacity and side curtain airbags sold me on the 100.

I really love the 100--I wheel it, tow with it, take it on vacation, drive it across the country at least once a year. Rolling up to 250k and 140k of those miles are mine. I won't get rid of it until I'm told it isn't safe to drive anymore. And my husband is @Onur so I usually take his word for things even tho it's fun to argue with him. 💙

But I always wanted an 80.

Three years ago at Coal Mine Cruiser Classic, I swapped trucks with one of my husband's friends -- @BlueCruiser84 -- who has an 80. Listen, I was smitten with that mtn goat. I've been wheeling with 80s ever since the 100 got some armor, so I've noticed there's a tiny little difference.

Plus, an additional Cruiser is always a good idea.

Even though the blue 80s are beautiful - I really had to have white. And husband insisted on rust-free FZJ80. So he got some of what he wanted, and I got all of what I wanted, which is all that matters:

View attachment 2692696
View attachment 2692700
View attachment 2692701
View attachment 2692699

1992 FJ80. Onur picked it up for me on Saturday and got home to NY this AM. No issues. As far as I'm concerned we stole this truck.

He's already tossed the roof rack monstrosity and those decals and tires are next. He's ordered a bunch for this truck even though a lot of it probably won't go on for awhile because he's busy with his own projects.

He assured me I would hate the 3FE, but I love driving his lawn mower of a 70 so he's full of it.

After it gets baselined, I'll eventually do a 4" lift, skids, and front and rear bumpers. I'll also need lockers, cuz I'm so tired of @jonheld saying: "Engage the lockers! Oh, that's right, you don't have any."

I plan on spending a lot of time snooping around here to try and learn as much I can. Happy to finally be here!
Nice Rides...have fun with your new 80!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom