Will this work for relocating the spare tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to relocate my spare tire so it will not rub. The fancy rear bumper with swing out tire carrier was line item vetoed from the "Supplemental FZJ80 Repair and Upgrade" bill that was submitted to the prez. in my house. Luckily, several other portions of the bill were signed into law :D .

I have come across this item

I know that it will be hard to get in and out of the back and it says it is for a front reciever, but the tire will be out of the way and may be a inexpensive way to get the tire out of the way while out on the trail and keep it out of the back. I only worry that it will cause a new style of rubbing, as I already drag the trailer hitch and will probably rattle like crazy.

Ross
5441.jpg

Why not just put the tire inside? Awhile back I built a carrier that bolted to the cargo area where the 3rd seat mounts used to go - pulled the mounts and bolted it there with the top being bolted to where the 3rd row hand rail was. Cut it up for scrap later and used the tube for something else, but it didn't take long and was pretty easy.

GeoRoss said:
I want to relocate my spare tire so it will not rub. The fancy rear bumper with swing out tire carrier was line item vetoed from the "Supplemental FZJ80 Repair and Upgrade" bill that was submitted to the prez. in my house. Luckily, several other portions of the bill were signed into law :D .

I have come across this

I know that it will be hard to get in and out of the back and it says it is for a front reciever, but the tire will be out of the way and may be a inexpensive way to get the tire out of the way while out on the trail and keep it out of the back. I only worry that it will cause a new style of rubbing, as I already drag the trailer hitch and will probably rattle like crazy.

Ross

you better use smallish tires with that thing on the trail or it's gonna swing wildly and put some serious stress on the receiver and the mount...

not to mention the reduction in departure angle (or whatever that's called)...

Depending how strong that is, if you had a front bumper like mine you could put it there and not obstruct your view much. My buddy who helped me make mine could make another, not right now, but you could put in an order. See you tomorrow nite :cheers:

PS I redid my exhaust!! HI flow cats and Flowmaster 40 series muffler, no resonator. Definetly got more juice now, and it sounds more like a truck.

Yea, I guess it was not a good idea. Just trying to keep the tire out of the back.

Those interior mounts look really good, too bad a Helen Keller with two broken arms has better fabricating skills than I do. I will jury rig something in the mean time.

Heading out to the land of blackhawk helicopters, drug smugglers and illeagal boarder crossers tomorrow, aka my field area. Its always a hoot. See you tonight MB.

Ross

I think it's a great idea. I had thought about making something similar, adding a little swing down hinge with a pin on the bottom so if you needed to access the rear you could pull the pin and let the tire drop/swing down. I can't put the tire in the back because i let my dog ride back there all the time and it's just too in-the-way. Just my 2cents.

Hopefully you won't need to get into the cargo area too much. That thing will be VERY heavy with a tire loaded on it. Depending on your tire size, and your strength, it might be challenging to get that on if you need to pull it to access cargo.

I'd be concerned of the overall strength of the carrier too. The constant vibration of miles of corregated roads might take a toll on it.

Just my 2cents.

I think it'll be fine. Stock size wheels weigh only 65lbs. I see bike carriers look flimsier than that and hold 2-3 bikes at 45-55lbs each. As for stress on the receiver, the class 3 hitch is rated at 6,000 lbs and 600lbs of tongue weight. I don't think it's going to be a problem.

hoser said:
I think it'll be fine. Stock size wheels weigh only 65lbs. I see bike carriers look flimsier than that and hold 2-3 bikes at 45-55lbs each. As for stress on the receiver, the class 3 hitch is rated at 6,000 lbs and 600lbs of tongue weight. I don't think it's going to be a problem.

well, remember the receiver is rated for a large axial force and a smaller vertical force. Here you could talk about violent swing sideways with a big lever arm, i.e. high torsional stress, a completely different problem that the receiver was not designed for...

You guys are too picky. I doubt that a 65 lb. tire mounted on a 3ft. metal post will exibit 600+ lbs of shearing force. Perhaps if you were in a crash going 80 mph.

I am sure I'll get abused and flamed for this BUT, against the opinion of most of the folks on Mud, I threw my tire on the roof about 3 months ago. Several wheeling trips and lots of miles since then, no problems. Even off camber, with COG considerations.

Just glad to have it out from underneath (where it would blow where we wheel locally) and not in the rear where I too need dog, fishing, hunting, etc space.

Rear bumper with tire carrier is the best solution and it's coming soon, but until then this is my flawed solution...

I won't flame you for that at all. My compliments to you on your ability to get the tire up there to begin with.... :D It's all I can do to get my 105 lb Wheel/tire up on my Slee carrier.. :eek:

The only caution is be sure the tire is well secured up there so it does not go into orbit in a collision or a roll-over.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom