Will this 1993 pass emissions in CA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt Ferguson

SILVER Star
Threads
Here is what the CA DMV states the emissions label must say for a vehicle to be CA emissions compliant. It should have CA specific language on the emissions label, as noted in the pic below.

emissions_cert.jpg

I'm looking at this 1993 for sale in CO and here is a pic of the emissions label

93 emissions tag.JPG

It says it meets all FEDERAL requirements.

Is there is no CA specific language because back in 1993 that was before they established having specific language for CA on the emissions tags? Thanks for your help.

Dan

CA specific compliance applies to NEW vehicles. Assuming it has more than 7,500 miles it would be considered a used vehicle and should be fine. Somewhere on the DMV web site there should be a page to verify this, but I haven't found it so far in my brief searches.

But, of course, YMMV when dealing with the DMV. I was trying to register an ELECTRIC motorcycle from out of state (Zero), but it had less than 7,500 miles on it, so they considered it new and it didn't have a CA-specific emissions label. The first DMV I took it to refused to register it and gave me a scary piece of paperwork saying I could never register it in CA, or sell it to anyone in CA. They didn't care that it literally has zero emissions and there's a dealer for these bikes a couple miles from them. I took it to another DMV where I had a nice chat with the inspector about electric bikes, and got it registered.

A California noncertified vehicle (CNCV), formerly known as 49-state, is manufactured to be first sold in all states, except California, and meets only federal emission standards. A CNCV cannot be registered to a California resident who purchased the vehicle with less than 7,500 miles unless the owner qualified for an exemption. Refer to the CNCV/Direct Import Vehicle Exemptions section in this chapter for exemptions and to the California Noncertified/Direct Import Vehicle Registration Referrals section in this chapter for refusals.

Maybe they no longer (or never) outright said it, but rather it's implied, that if it has more than 7,500 miles, it's ok. Since they only like to talk about how you can't register a 49-state vehicle with less than 7,500 miles, but they don't explicitly talk about a 49-state vehicle with more than 7,500 miles.

Yes that is unusually vague. Thanks for the link and follow up!

there must be someone out there who has brought an out of state 80 into CA from this same era that can comment on their experience......Bueller?......Bueller?......

Haven't looked at my label to compare but my Texas-purchased 1995 cruiser has passed CA emissions before. I actually need to get re-tested, mine was up for renewal right when the lockdowns started in March so I didn't feel up to having some random guy have his way with my rig. Paid the registration, just no new sticker until I suck it up and have it tested again.

Well, get this, I checked out a 97 in the Bay Area this afternoon and this was the emissions tag I found

28BA14D6-47A8-4992-9683-6E0E11EBE217.jpeg

This vehicle started and has always remained a CA vehicle, so maybe the CA specific language does only apply to new vehicle registration and after 7500 miles it’s inconsequential?

Will it pass? That depends on the condition of the vehicle. Is it compliant in regards to your question, 1,000%, YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom