Will they fit? Tire size question! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.powerwagonlocker.com
Alright,

I searched the forum archives for every thread related tires and wheels and didn't find the answer to my question.

I am planning to run a 17" x 7.5" wheel on the FJ60. I am shopping for tire sizes and I am trying to figure out what will fit with the BDS lift that is on the truck. Should I go with the 285-70-17 (thoretical height 33.25") or the 305-70-17 (theoretical height 34.43")?

I am currently running 33 x 9.50 BFGs. There is a lot of room left in those wheelwells.

Have other people run 35" tires with a 2.5" SUA lift?

Thanks for your advice!

Dan

DSC02265.JPG

2.5 is too small for 35's unless you trim the fenders or get more lift with shackles and a small body lift.

I think that the 315-70-17 is techically the 35" equivalent. From some other sites the 305s run pretty close to 34" tall and 12" wide. And the 285s run 33" tall and 11.25" wide.

So, the 33 x 12.50's that a lot of people run on 15s fall right in between these two options.

Could someone who has run 33 x 12.50s on stock wheels (I know how evil that is, but I know that lots of folks have done it) comment on how they fit and how much they rub?

Thanks!

Dan

Any other comments on these tires? I am leaning toward the 285/70R17 because I don't want to trash the sheetmetal if they rub during articulation. But, at the same time, I would love to hear some comments on the larger size. I would love to run the ~34" MTRs if I thought they would fit!

Thanks for all the info!
Dan

Why do you want to run 17" wheel vs. 15" or 16"?

If I remember right, you are planning a trip to Mexico. Seems like it would be hard to find 17" tires there.

2.5 is too small for 35's unless you trim the fenders or get more lift with shackles and a small body lift.

You are correct, Chase. I have a 2.5" OME SUA setup with 1" body lift on my '84 FJ60. I run 33X12.50X15's with no problems at all, but they're NOT stock rims, so I can't answer that part of the post. I have put 35" tires on and they rub at full turn, but not bad. I'm going SOA and with that 37's.

dshock....I think 34's would probably be fine. :cheers:

Youre gonna need an inch of body lift unless you really cut the fenders up. Granted my tires are a full 34" and measure about 13" wide, but there is no way they would clear without my body lift.

NorCalFJ60, I plan to be running 17"s because I found a wheel that I like that clears the tierod ends. I was not satified with the look or fit of any of the 15/16" options. Not ideal, but I will be carrying two spares and a tire repair kit to get me through...

Where were the 35"s rubbing for you, bigndn? On the springs, or on the body? During articulation or on the level?

Agent Orange - what is it about the body lift that improves the situation? It seems to me that a body lift would only help when the tires were stuffed, and if that is the case then it may be more effective to lower the bump stops. I have never cared for body lift.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Dan

I would stay 285 cause they will fit better on the wheels, also what back spacing are you lookin at

Kling-on. I will report on wheel specs once they are mounted up and verified. I have some very good information that they will work, but I want to get them on the truck before I post that info. Don't want a big blunder in the archives if I am wrong!

Yep, I know that the 305 is one size over for the 7.5" wheel, but I just think that the 34" tire will look and wheel awesome! There are a lot of FJC guys running the 305 MTRs on their stock wheels, so that is kind of what I am basing fitment on.

Thanks again for all the info!

Dan

Agent Orange - what is it about the body lift that improves the situation? It seems to me that a body lift would only help when the tires were stuffed, and if that is the case then it may be more effective to lower the bump stops. I have never cared for body lift.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Dan

I like the body lift because i can run a full 34" with the stock bumpstops. I did a minor bit of trimming up front but otherwise they stuff just fine. You could drop the bumpstops, but i would rather do a modest body lift then unecessarily give up an inch of travel. Plus, it give you more room for SOA shock mounts, more room under the rockers, and it keeps the CG down.

They arent for everyone but i like em a lot, plus even with the bumpstops lowered i think you might get into issues with the wheels turned in.

Where were the 35"s rubbing for you, bigndn? On the springs, or on the body? During articulation or on the level?

They were rubbing on the back of the wheel well (or front of the slider), during articulation and hitting potholes. It really wasn't much as far as rubbing goes, but it was enough to know I need more clearance to run 35"+ tires. :cheers:

Agent Orange,

If I go the bumpstop route, do you think that a 2" spacer would do the trick? Surely that would be plenty.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Dan

im running 34 10/50 ltb swampers no lift what so ever got saggy ass syndrome like ya wouldnt belve and with the stock bumbstops i can stuff them all the way no rubbage. heres pics of my 62
2006-03-0231.jpg

2006-03-0229.jpg

im running 34 10/50 ltb swampers no lift what so ever got saggy ass syndrome like ya wouldnt belve and with the stock bumbstops i can stuff them all the way no rubbage. heres pics of my 62
2006-03-0231.jpg

2006-03-0229.jpg
WickedM, Are those wheels similar to stock or what? Height, width, backspace setting or offset?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that a sagging stock suspension has almost no uptravel at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom