Will the Rear Hatch Open if Alarm is Armed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Ugh. So had the Summit on the Ram broken into this week in Portland. No surprise, right? What's odd is they didn't take any of the tools or recovery gear in the wolf packs but spent a good deal of time trying to open an (ironically) empty hard-mounted gun safe. Summit wasn't exactly designed with security in mind. Though the safe did withstand the effort and, while destroyed, did prevent a breaching.

Anyway... has me thinking about changing up vehicles and security. One thought I had was with the drawer configuration on the 200, it is completely below the window in the back. With the hatch having no exposed mechanical lever, is it possible to unlock the hatch without the fob when the alarm is set? That is, if a window were broken, could the power lock button be pressed and gain access? If not, that would make the drawers relatively secure.

I suppose I could test run myself, but don't want to 'alarm' the neighbors, pun intended.

1676007314518.png

Last edited:
I had my rear window smashed last year. They were not able to open the upper hatch. They tried to pry the upper hatch, dented the d pillars pretty good, but eventually gave up?

When I got to the truck, the "alarm" was still on. All doors locked. Just the rear window busted out.

Can't answer about hatch opening while locked, but I did install the Genuine Toyota glass break sensor. Simple install, and should make enough noise with a glass break that they don't stick around.

Can't answer about hatch opening while locked, but I did install the Genuine Toyota glass break sensor. Simple install, and should make enough noise with a glass break that they don't stick around.
Good idea. Looks like this is the install path. Thanks for the suggestion.

GBS Install

Will that work on my truck?

Mt Bonell, spicewood trail, bull creek, practically everywhere else is littered with glass every time ive been. Things are only going to get more dicey from here too.

I had my rear window smashed last year. They were not able to open the upper hatch. They tried to pry the upper hatch, dented the d pillars pretty good, but eventually gave up?

When I got to the truck, the "alarm" was still on. All doors locked. Just the rear window busted out.
That seems like a lot of work for them! Did you have a drawer system that they wanted into? Or what do you think their goal was?

Mt Bonell, spicewood trail, bull creek, practically everywhere else is littered with glass every time ive been. Things are only going to get more dicey from here too.

Instructions say 16+
1676041353994.png

But the part shows that it fits earlier.
1676041327150.png

The other thing to keep in mind is if it will be effective. Trailheads are more problematic as there's often no one to hear the alarm. Sometimes urban areas carry the same risk, i.e. busy parking lots where no one takes the time to investigate sounds. Smash-and-grabs thrive in urban numbness. In my case it was parked directly under my hotel room during the quiet of the night, so it would have been beneficial.

Last edited:
one install note.. actually read the directions about setting the baseline sensitivity. I didn't and had to open things back up to dial it to a level where it actually worked. They actually design it to have the sensitivity adjusted without removing the unit, but the kick panel cover does need to come off.

Much of that is from vehicles left alone after dark, or with valuables left out in the open.

But yeah @OregonLC makes great points.

Instructions say 16+
View attachment 3244516
But the part shows that it fits earlier.
View attachment 3244515

The other thing to keep in mind is if it will be effective. Trailheads are more problematic as there's often no one to hear the alarm. Sometimes urban areas carry the same risk, i.e. busy parking lots where no one takes the time to investigate sounds. Smash-and-grabs thrive in urban numbness. In my case it was parked directly under my hotel room during the quiet of the night, so it would have been beneficial.

Oh sweet. Thanks!
The eventual carplay install will have me basically tear down the entire dash. Ill address some other tidbits too once im mentally prepared for that job, like my passenger door speaker induced rattle.

Also, apparently need to pull the other door card as well, since removing the chrome weather strip to paint requires it to be unscrewed.

And then, ill do the drivers mirror wobble too, since that needs to be removed while im in the door from inside the pillar.

This is usually how my installs go, giant messes lol.

Lastly, I was parked where this black Taco is in the pic. Location was purposeful as the main lobby is directly behind that glass and the hotel is staffed 24 hrs, by folks who call their buddies to break into cars. My room was behind the upper left window. Assuming thieves risk analysis matches mine was a mistake; in Portland they know the game better than I do.

View attachment 3244522
Fixed that for you. At least that's been my experience. Very frustrating, sorry to hear!

I just had a giant deja vu, I swear weve had this exact conversation before…

by folks who call their buddies to break into cars.

Fixed that for you. At least that's been my experience. Very frustrating, sorry to hear!

Yeah, I did think about that. Honestly, the gal working the front desk was a little too apologetic and a little quick to respond that there were no cameras on that side of the building.

That seems like a lot of work for them! Did you have a drawer system that they wanted into? Or what do you think their goal was?
Their goal? remind me of my stupidity for leaving a box/plastic crate in the cargo area :) I think they saw the box. I do have drawers, maybe they were trying to get at those once they saw them.

Their goal? remind me of my stupidity for leaving a box/plastic crate in the cargo area :) I think they saw the box. I do have drawers, maybe they were trying to get at those once they saw them.
Yeah, there'd be no motivation to pry if they didn't want into those drawers. The crate was probably all theirs once the glass was gone.

Is this something to install in a 2013 LX? Does it come from the factory with it? There is not much about security system in the owner's manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom