Will the 80’s ever be a collectors dream? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the real test will come when the zombie apocalypse comes. I have come to peace with the notion that I would likely be murdered and thrown aside for my rig on like Day 4, if I could even make it that long. All I would ask is that they gave it a tank of premium once every three tanks or so and keep an eye on the temp gauge and coolant level. ;)
Keep enjoying your 80 while smiling and knowing that cocked and locked is normal.

I think the real test will come when the zombie apocalypse comes. I have come to peace with the notion that I would likely be murdered and thrown aside for my rig on like Day 4, if I could even make it that long. All I would ask is that they gave it a tank of premium once every three tanks or so and keep an eye on the temp gauge and coolant level. ;)

If the zombie apocalypse comes, I'll be on a bicycle or in an electric vehicle. You can draw the herd away from me while you noisily try to start a vehicle on old jelly fuel.

I think they will always be appreciated for what they are, well built, capable and comfortable off-roaders but I just don't see them ever going through a "boom" equal to the one the 40 series saw a few years back. I think they will always be valuable relative to other SUVs of their era but I doubt they will ever set the world on fire. Hopefully I'm wrong but thats the way I see it.

EVERY vehicle ends up as a collectors item.

Hell, even the 72 Ford Pinto is a collectors item! (If you can find one that didn't blow up!)

I’m interested

I don't see a way where they won't be considered a classic. The 80 is the last "real land cruiser" for more than just one reason. It was created at a time that intersected a thriving Japanese economy, "overbuilt" engineering culture, and non restrictive safety regulations and mandatory overt technology. This led to arguable the most versatile 4x4 of all time....the peak of 4WD. A time like this will never exist again. The freedom, ability and flexibility to create something as "pure" as the 80 will never happen again.

The 80 was the peak of land cruisers. Enjoy it while it lasts boys.

I enjoy mine every night when it’s parked in the garage and I just tinker with it. I don’t know what it is about the 80, but I always find something that I can do or redo to make it just that much more better.

Yup enjoy it boys, I hope, if I can still get in and out of it, mine will still be used as it’s being used everyday in 15 years. I’ll aim for 5-600k miles total miles by then and if some want to make it a trophy out of it, Then I’ll respect that, because I’ll just be part of it’s history.

Last edited:
IMHO, prices are high now because people want to daily drive them and show that they are more unique than the Jeep crowd. If gas goes up to $5, the prices on these things will plummet.

IMHO, prices are high now because people want to daily drive them and show that they are more unique than the Jeep crowd. If gas goes up to $5, the prices on these things will plummet.
Depending on how much you have into your 80 and whether or not you need some or all of its utility, the gas issue really isn't that big of a deal when you compare the cost of something newer and more efficient. Overall cost of ownership on an 80 really isn't that bad and you can avoid paying interest on a car loan if you just maintain and care for the 80.

It does eat up more of your time though and that does matter. That's another good reason to run with a two car system though. If one goes down for a week, you have a back-up. Once you get any used car truly dialed in, the ongoing costs of ownership is in line with or much less than with what most people pay for just a car payment.

The cheapest car is always going to be the one you have unless it is completely used up or you can't fix it.

No.

When the overlanding/expedition fad runs its course, there will be a flood of used, slightly modded, driveable 80s hitting the market for ever decreasing asking prices as the owners move onto the next hot thing.
:lol:

Or some other new cheesy name for camping will come about and values will shoot up again!

Yeah, I weighed out the gas thing. I’ve been daily driving an 80 well before the George Bush Gas era when we were paying $4.50 a gallon (aka $90.00 fill ups). Hasn’t stopped me. I look at all the MPG that all these Overlanding rigs do and they all surprisingly get anywhere from 12-16 mpg’s After they put on all the aftermarket stuff.

My 80 stock 13mpg, my 80 on 37’s-13mpg.

If the zombie apocalypse comes, I'll be on a bicycle or in an electric vehicle. You can draw the herd away from me while you noisily try to start a vehicle on old jelly fuel.
Honestly, that is one of the things that bugs me about shows like The Walking Dead. I mean, come on, where did all of the mountain bikes go? Road bikes? Not a single cyclocross or fat bike made it? All the kit that goes with them? I would have like 6 bikes roped to the LC and I would hope to negotiate keeping at least a couple of them if I let them have the 80.

Also, zombies eat horses all the time. Unless there is a huge plot hole that they are covering up with the idea that the walkers also eat bikes, I call BS. Apparently someone still has a helicopter but all the bikes got thrown into the sea or something? The more I think about this, the more it frosts my balls ball. (I only have one now thanks to Uncle C.);)

With a decent mountain bike and a repurposed kid hauler trailer, you could navigate most of what would be around in the event of said apocalypse. Plus, you can cover way more ground than you could with a horse and the bike doesn't need to be fed. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
When 200 series prices drop to $6k..... and used 80 parts have dried up......everyone will be hauling 80s to the metal recyclers with their 200s for some change to buy 3d printed titanium parts for their long travel titanium suspensions.:)

If gas hits $6.00 I’m getting one of those Hybrid stickers for ALL my cruisers. I’ve only got it on one now. Hopefully they don’t go up in price too.

Drive it like you stole it. You’re driving history.

how about the 100 series???:cool:
Nah, I think the collectibility will stop with the 80 series. Less than 60k FZJ80s were sold in the US. Last of solid axle, straight 6, unique look. The 100 is a great vehicle but watered down for the masses, just another nice big, nice, IFS V8 SUV. Looks like a Sequoia and sold about 90k of them.

When 200 series prices drop to $6k..... and used 80 parts have dried up......everyone will be hauling 80s to the metal recyclers with their 200s for some change to buy 3d printed titanium parts for their long travel titanium suspensions.:)
Couldn't I just 3D print up a mess of titanium parts for the 80 if that technology becomes available?

Only very clean trucks, lower miles...
Good drivers will top out at around $25K. Superior, low mile, original and fully refurbished will be low $75-90K. Something like the Rogan rig might fetch $200K if someone really, really wants it. There are people around that think that type of money is pocket change.

Me? I am just a regular dude that bought a Land Cruiser because I thought it was the best car that I could afford. Mine isn't worth what I have into it right now, but I know it will still be around in 25 years unless I rack it up or I die. It's worth something in the ballpark of the $18K I have into it though and I have it insured for $20k and I doubt I could find a truck in as good of shape with as many things rebuilt than the one I have now for that.

The real issue is going to be the availability of fuel. The 80 will still be running and driveable when gasoline becomes a boutique item that people buy along with fireworks to fire up Grandpa's old sled for a lap around the yard once a year on Independence Day.

Couldn't I just 3D print up a mess of titanium parts for the 80 if that technology becomes available?

Titanium 3d printing is already available.....but by the time the 80s become collectors items, the gubment will have hacked all 3d software and will be alerted you are ti printing banned toyota parts.....and you will be targeted for Drone strikes by GM/CIA Alliance. :)

Heres a 3d printed titanium bike dropout (with snake on it ): finish is similar to casting. Im not sure of strength tests/analysis yet...but these are $500ea. @cost,

32425595-858E-43CA-A56B-37255B4F348B.jpeg

All Land Cruisers will be worth more than the other makes of 4x4s but if the value of the 80 increases in relation
to it's original sticker price in the way the 40s did, a '96 would have to sell for $500,000. It's common for a '73 40 to go for
$45.000. They sold for about 3500.00 new. By comparison, a 40 is much easier to restore. The plastic and electronics
in the 80 present far more hurdles than the all metal 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom