Will the 4x4 from an '88 SR5 easily go on a 92 2WD? Needed parts???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I got this truck ('88 4x4 5sp) for the engine, but decided to do the 4x4 conversion as well. The 2wd ('92) has a w55 transmission, which I read somewhere is the same tranny behind the '92's (with 4x4). I have the complete rear axle, transfer case, locking front hubs, cross member (are they interchangeable?), shifters, 6-hole SR5 rims, decent tires, 4x4 steering box(???), shocks/springs (which I need) etc. from the '88 (I'll have the complete donor truck here tonight!), and just want to know about compatibility issues prior to tearing into it. I need to know if I have a complete usable parts list or not.

I've also read that now would be the time to replace the IFS with a solid front axle. I'd like to do the swap, but I need to research it better with, again, a parts list/compatibility issues.

Any info/tips/links anyone can impart to me would be greatly appreciated, and as always, thanks in advance.

have you considered just leaving the engine in it's frame and just move the cabin and bed from the 2wd... i'm not sure but my guess is that 2wd and 4wd have different frames.. atleast if the 4wd is an mk2 and the 2 wd is mk3....

ps.. i'm no expert....just guessing

have you considered just leaving the engine in it's frame and just move the cabin and bed from the 2wd...

No, I hadn't, but it's a great idea! Maybe I leave my perfectly good 92 alone, pull the 22r motor from the 88 (I have separate plans for this engine), discard the cab/bed of the 4x4, and WAIT FOR A SUITABLE 2WD 4RUNNER SHELL! While every thing's off and out, I'll clean up the frame's surface rust and find a 6 cylinder engine to rebuild and install. Should be fairly easy with no tub! Which is the better of the sixes, anybody?

Does this sound like a plan, or did somebody slip some cr@ck into my Wheaties?

Turns out, it was the cr@ck in the Wheaties! Frame is totally rotted in parts, so looks like the original plan is in place...

The 2WD frame is a lot different than the 4WD, but the conversion has been done many times. You don't want to swap over the IFS crap, get a real front axle.

The FSM has good diagrams in the back that has all the dimensions of things, and you can get a better idea of the differences.

Assuming both trucks have 22RE engines, the W56 from the '88 will bolt right up to the '92 engine, but I think you said that you're swapping the engine too. The W55 is a close cousin of the W56, although I'm not sure if the tailstock/t-case adapter from the W56 will swap over to the W55. They have different 1st & 2nd gear ratios. Marlin will be able to tell you all the differences.

...get a real front axle...

Best links you recommend?

Assuming both trucks have 22RE engines, the W56 from the '88 will bolt right up to the '92 engine, but I think you said that you're swapping the engine too. The W55 is a close cousin of the W56, although I'm not sure if the tailstock/t-case adapter from the W56 will swap over to the W55. They have different 1st & 2nd gear ratios.

For the 4x4 swap, I'll continue to use the '92 engine.

So if the W56 will bolt to the engine, I have the entire donor truck here and could use from the tranny back to (and including) the rear axle, that would eliminate the tailstock issue? (sorry, I'm very new to all this, and trying too keep up!) DUH! I figured out what you meant now, KLF...thanks!

From somewhere, I think with an acknowledgment to Marlin:

The W55 5-Speed manual

I believe this one was only used on 2WD models with 22RE engine:

& 1st 3.566, 2nd 2.056, 3rd 1.384, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.850 Reverse: 4.091.

The W56 5-Speed manual

This tranny was used in 4x4 models with the 22RE engine:

1st 3.954, 2nd 2.141, 3rd 1.384, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.850 Reverse: 4.091.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom