Will stock Lexus pads go fine on aftermarket rotors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrX

Threads
I'm not a fan of aftermarket stuff on cars, just a preference. However the PO of my truck replaced the rotors with high quality slotted and drilled, and aftermarket pads as well. To dude's credit, they are great brakes.

Well, that's all well and good but now the rears are just about metal on metal and nobody will install aftermarket brake pads. At least none of the places I've called.

And that's fine but I'm just going to have Lexus rear pads installed by an Indy Lexus shop. I don't see how that would be an issue, does anyone else?

The rotors are in great shape, there is zero indication that they need anything at all. I just need some rear pads and am wondering if OEM will fit. My gut tells me everything should be fine.

Thanks, didn't think so.

But aren't there these rods or sticks that come with the rear pads?
Not necessarily. On road-salt areas replacing the slide pins for the rear calipers can be a good idea. But if no corrosion just make sure they are lubed and reinstall to the correct torque.

I'll plead with you to get the rear rotors turned or replaced. If you are so picky about non-aftermarket parts, you should want a proper brake job done or performed by yourself. You're gonna say "there's nothing wrong with the rear rotors"....that's great, they should be able to be turned the minute amount to get them machined perfectly smooth again.

Also...this would be a great time to flush the brake fluid, at least through both rear calipers.

I'll plead with you to get the rear rotors turned or replaced. If you are so picky about non-aftermarket parts, you should want a proper brake job done or performed by yourself. You're gonna say "there's nothing wrong with the rear rotors"....that's great, they should be able to be turned the minute amount to get them machined perfectly smooth again.

Also...this would be a great time to flush the brake fluid, at least through both rear calipers.

They are drilled, no way to turn them. Drilled and slotted.

Sorry, I didn't assume the rear rotors were slotted and drilled. Kinda odd to me, but whatever. If it were me and I had the money, I'd replace the rotors and pads with OEM, but I'd also be doing it myself and wouldn't have the labor cost, so I would be replacing the pads and rotors for the cost of your pad slap...

Sorry, I didn't assume the rear rotors were slotted and drilled. Kinda odd to me, but whatever. If it were me and I had the money, I'd replace the rotors and pads with OEM, but I'd also be doing it myself and wouldn't have the labor cost, so I would be replacing the pads and rotors for the cost of your pad slap...

I’m not a fan of aftermarket anything trust me. But I will say the brakes are excellent, or were until the rear pads went. I am replacing them with OEM Lexus pads but i actually like the rotors, they look just as nice as any on a car with OEM slotted and drilled rotors. I’ll snap a pic once I get it back tomorrow.

Pads are determined by your Calipers. If you are using stock Calipers, Pads will fit

I switched to drilled slotted Rotors and the stopping power is much improved. I tow a lot over the mountains and drilled/slotted rotors stay cooler and so the Rotors are less likely to warp. Cooler rotors have better stopping power

Nothing wrong with OEM. I would price Toyota and Lexus as I think they are the same and Toyota parts are typically cheaper for the same part from the same factory with different packaging

Nothing wrong with OEM. I would price Toyota and Lexus as I think they are the same and Toyota parts are typically cheaper for the same part from the same factory with different packaging

Every single Toyota/Lexus OEM Part I've ever bought, whether it be mail order from a Lexus/Toyota Dealer or pick up in person at a Toyota Dealer, comes in a box with Toyota/Lexus stickers/printing all over it. All the part numbers are the same.

People that blindly and ignorantly walk in to a Lexus dealer and buy parts for their Lexus and pay more deserve whatever they get. I do buy some Lexus-only parts and that is from Bell Lexus of Scottsdale because they have a very aggressive online parts sales. 99% of all my Toyota/Lexus parts come from Lagrange Toyota, which I buy online and select store pickup because they are another aggressive online parts seller and they are fairly close to me.

The only foreseeable problem you may have is rotor hardness vs pad hardness. I have had several over-the-counter non-OEM rotors begin to prematurely groove or "record groove" if you get what I'm saying, due to the apparent softness (?) of the composition of the aftermarket rotor, vs the OEM pads. I typically see aftermarket rotors prematurely rust as well, where OEM seems to just hold up better to road conditions. A high quality aftermarket brand may not do it, but you did not specify what brand your rotors are.

Wham bam thank you ma'am they installed stock OEM pads on the aftermarket rotors a couple weeks ago, brakes are great.

I'm glad I noticed it rubbing because THEN I'd be paying for rotors after not a long time.

Pads are determined by your Calipers. If you are using stock Calipers, Pads will fit

I switched to drilled slotted Rotors and the stopping power is much improved. I tow a lot over the mountains and drilled/slotted rotors stay cooler and so the Rotors are less likely to warp. Cooler rotors have better stopping power

@Romer can you share with us what rotors you are running? I have a feeling you are a discerning buyer. Thanks.

I just installed EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and EBC orange pads over the weekend. Still in the bedding in period, but braking performance already is drastically improved over the OEM. I have a '21 with 20k miles and the OEM rotors were already beginning to warp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom