Will steering wheel from '03 - '05 fit '99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The top of my steering wheel is worn through the leather on my '99. I believe that my wedding band is the culprit. I was thinking about having the top half re-skinned but I saw a wood wheel on Ebay. I like the wood wheel in our GS430. The wood wheel on Ebay is for a '03 - '05. The only problem is that the airbag cover on the '99 is a different color than the leather on the wood wheel for the '03+. If the '03 wood wheel fits, then the airbag cover and leather on the wheel would have the same two tone appearance as the dash. Has anybody had there steering wheel recovered or replaced?

Last edited:
There are places that can sell you the right thing, you change it out, and send yours back. Do a google search on "wood steering wheel" and see what you get. I'm thinking about this also, because I love the wood wheel in our 05 RX330.

There is a place called American Stitches that will convert the original wheel to a wood wheel for $400 with a 7-10 day turn around. The '99 is my daily driver and I don't have another vehicle to drive for 10 days. I would like to buy the wood wheel from Ebay, but I need to make sure that my airbag will fit the '03+ steering wheel. The wheel on Ebay is $299.

I saw that wheel on Ebay and was wondering the same thing, would it fit my 99.

Since nobody answered my questions, I decided to take a risk and I bought the wheel off Ebay. I will post pics if it fits.

The '03-'05 steering wheel off of Ebay will not fit '98-'02 Land Cruiser. I found out the hard way. The wheel I purchased looked great. The leather was much better than the stuff on my '99. I am not sure if the '99 even has a leather wheel. The '03-'05 have a dual stage airbag and the airbag from my '99 would not fit the wheel. I will try to find a wheel off of a '01-'02 Land Cruiser that is in better shape than mine or a wood wheel from a '00-'02 LX470.

99, thanks for the trial and error. Hopefully, you can get all your money back on that steering wheel. If you don't find another wheel and just want to recover it yourself, contact Allen. He can sell you the leather alone for you to do it yourself for about $70-80 or so. It's the labor that costs the bucks.

http://aglausa.com/

The Ebay vendor accepts returns. I told the Ebay vendor that the wheel did not fit my Land Cruiser. The vendor said that he could get me a wheel that will fit a '98 - '02. The vendor is getting it sent from Taiwan. I had to pay little extra for the wheel because it was not in stock and it was a special order. The total cost should be around $300. The cruiser is my work vehicle, and I always justify my expenses to my wife by telling her that it is a tax write-off and that I only pay 60% of the cost of the mods after the tax break. Hoser, thanks for the information. I would go that route if the leather was beefier than the stock leather. The leather wheel on my wife's old '00 Solara was nicer than the wheel on my cruiser.

Just wanted to mention that he has all different types of leather, even alcantara (sp?). If you want the steering wheel to be thicker, they can even put in thicker padding.

According to my FSM, that is a different (older) inner mounting bracket. My 4Runner has the same steering wheel as all the Toyota/Lexus suv's. I think that is a 00-02 LX470 wheel

Longhorn Cruiser, that wheel from the link should fit a '98-'02 Land Cruiser or LX470 with a gray interior. The inner portion of the wheel looks exactly like the one from my '99 when I pulled the airbag off. Nice to see another Austin member. I graduated from UT back in '00.

99Cruiser said:
Longhorn Cruiser, that wheel from the link should fit a '98-'02 Land Cruiser or LX470 with a gray interior. The inner portion of the wheel looks exactly like the one from my '99 when I pulled the airbag off. Nice to see another Austin member. I graduated from UT back in '00.

Yeah, I got the ivory interior so didn't even bother with it. Just posted it if someone else was interested.

Hookem.

steering wheel

Hey 99cruiser any luck on that steering wheel? I would like to get one for my wifes 2002

I installed the wheel last weekend. It is the sport model that is on Ebay for the '98-'02 truck. The sport model looks a little different than the regular wood wheel in the LX470. I don't know if the Ebay vendor has the regular wood wheel for the '98-'02 model, but he does have it for the '03-'05 model. I will get pics as soon as I have time to post them.

did you get pics? and what is the procedure for pulling the airbag off?

Sorry, I still don't have pics. I relocated with my new job and have been very busy. I disconnected the battery and pushed on the brake pedal to make sure there wasn't any stored energy in the system. I then waited for 10 minutes before I started to take the wheel off. You will need a torx screw driver to loosen the nuts on each side of the wheel. There are plastic covers that you can pop off to get to the nuts. The airbag then comes out and you disconnect the horn wire and airbag connector. After that, there are a few screws holding the cruise control arm to the wheel. I just pulled really hard on the wheel to get it off but you can get a wheel puller from Autozone. There are more detailed directions on clublexus.com. Just use the search feature, many of the members on the site have changed their wheels.

Good stuff man, thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom