Will Pre obd2 1fz engine swap into an obd2 1fz 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have not found any information regarding compatability as far as the long block is concerned. Can any of you tell me if there are missing sensors or ?? for a plug and play engine swap. Going from an early ‘94 to a late ‘95. Thank you in advance!!

Preobd1 lacks the crank sensor. You'll need a later model upper oil pan, sensor, and iirc the sensor ring that goes on the crank.

Of course, you can swap the ECUs too. Than you don't need all the new stuff...if it were an LX450, you would have additional circuit considerations, but the Land Cruisers should be 1 to 1. Too bad it's not a Jan '95; they are closer to the '94 than the later models.

Of course, you can swap the ECUs too. Than you don't need all the new stuff...if it were an LX450, you would have additional circuit considerations, but the Land Cruisers should be 1 to 1. Too bad it's not a Jan '95; they are closer to the '94 than the later models.
Not really on the ECU. Different transmission, other sensors and wires changed as well. There were considerable changes electrically between 94 and 95. Underhood wiring harness changes from 94 to 95 also.

It is easier to install a 95 into a 94 than it is to swap a 94 into a 95, but if the engines are out anyway, just swap the necessary parts and get on with it.

You CAN pull the timing cover without pulling the head, but it's a PITA. It's a lot easier with the engine out of the truck, but it's still not easy.

IIRC, the ECUs and TCU are separate?

IIRC, the ECUs and TCU are separate?
True. The engine harness is different for sure. If mine was OBD1, I would keep everything OBD1.

Thank you for your direction! The crank sensor sits right in the middle of the upper oil pan near the crank. I guess not a big deal to swap when engines are out.

Thank you for your direction! The crank sensor sits right in the middle of the upper oil pan near the crank. I guess not a big deal to swap when engines are out.
But you must also move the sensor reluctor ring from the crankshaft on the 95 to the 94. This requires removal of the timing cover. Again, it can be done without removing the head but it's not easy.

ok, let me tell you how it works.

as for LONG BLOCK then yes. they are exactly the same. a "long block" is just a block and head. no manifolds or anything on it. all that stuff is different from OBD1 to 2. even the exhaust manifolds are different.

sounds like you have a running obd2 rig and found an OBD1 engine to swap... if so its not bad if you have both out.
yes the crank sensor is "in the upper pan" but you need to pull the timing cover to get to it. if you are doing a build and both engines are sitting on stands then its no big deal. just swap over the crank sensor and lower pan during the rebuild. if you have questions or need pics of anything shoot me a message and i can show you. i am currently in the middle of an engine rebuild for a customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom