Will OME spring recenter rear wheels in fender opening? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi.
I'm reverse engineering, and correcting, a previous owner's very poorly constructed lift.
So far I've removed 8.5" long shackles with more conservative 4.5 (f) and 5.5" (r) shackles. I also installed shims to bring the caster and driveline angles closer to proper numbers.
After replacing the shackles (lowering the vehicle by 1.5"), the 33" tires sit dangerously close to the rear fenders, on the front side. I can barely squeeze my fingers between the tire and sheet metal.

My next step, now that the caster and driveline angles have been corrected, is to install new springs, to center the tires in the wheel-well and provide a little lift. I've read about running 60 series springs, but it seems like you need to source older springs (difficult in my area), flip the rear hangers, possibly re-drill the axle perches . . ..

My goal in this build is to keep the 40 looking fairy stock, but with slightly larger proportions (ie. 33" tires and a small lift). Basically, I'm wanting to build my interpretation of how toyota "should have built the 40". It's being built to drive with the family, weekend camping, and mild off-roading.

To that end, I'm considering running OME fj40 springs. Will OME springs recenter the rear tires in the wheel wells? If not, what other spring combination will provide approximately 2.5" of lift, ride comfortably, and be a fairly straight forward, original-looking installation?
I don't mind fabricating, but want to keep it looking fairly original.

What else should I consider? Thanks in advance!

IMG_0096.jpeg

Last edited:
Because the shackle is in the rear, as the spring flattens under load that end of the spring moves towards the rear of the vehicle while the front end of the spring is pinned relative to the frame. As the spring travels rearwards with the swing of the shackle, so does the axle so your wheels will travel more or less on an arc towards the back of the vehicle as they get stuffed up into the wheel wells.

Because the shackle is in the rear, as the spring flattens under load that end of the spring moves towards the rear of the vehicle while the front end of the spring is pinned relative to the frame. As the spring travels rearwards with the swing of the shackle, so does the axle so your wheels will travel more or less on an arc towards the back of the vehicle as they get stuffed up into the wheel wells.
This is all true, but doesn't answer the questions. My goal is to add a little height, and center the tires in the openings.

This is all true, but doesn't answer the questions. My goal is to add a little height, and center the tires in the openings.
My point is that I dont think your wheels look abnormally forward, just larger in the opening. I am not sure aftermarket springs will center it and you may end up in the same place. OME springs do not change the wheel base, but more lift will move the tire down and thus away from the opening. If you want to move the axles back there is a way to do that, especially for people looking to get a longer wheel base or you could have Alcan make you custom springs, but watch your drive shafts. To Drill it or flip it....whats better?

I installed the CCOT 2.5 inch lift kit into my 78.

The springs on that kit do address the issue and center the rear wheel in the wheel well as well as having extra length so the shackles have the correct angle.
I just like the looks better.

I put 2.6” OME on and thought the tires sat a little too forward, so I redrilled the perches and moved the axle back about an inch or so. I thought it made a pretty good difference.
E3821ED0-1DED-4DB8-B73B-E9EF8146CDF9.jpeg

I installed the CCOT 2.5 inch lift kit into my 78.

The springs on that kit do address the issue and center the rear wheel in the wheel well as well as having extra length so the shackles have the correct angle.
I just like the looks better.
How do those springs ride?

I put 2.6” OME on and thought the tires sat a little too forward, so I redrilled the perches and moved the axle back about an inch or so. I thought it made a pretty good difference.View attachment 1967659
That makes a huge difference. Any complications, or secondary issues, when drilling the perches? I’m assuming that small amount of stretch wouldn’t affect the driveshaft length too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom