Will OME 861/862 with N70/N71e installed "break in"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from Costa Rica.

Last week I finally had the matching N70/N71e shocks installed to go with my 861/862 springs on my '94 daily driver. To my dismay the truck still rides very firmly/jarring on bad pavement, :bounce: which is everywhere down here. It does flex nicely, though.

Before the Emu shocks I had installed new factory Toyota Tokico ones. They felt nice at first, but after a couple of months they got harsh, too. :bounce2:

Will the Emu shocks/springs "break in" and soften up some? Would replacing the Emu poly shock bushings with new OEM rubber ones help?

My tires are 245/70/16 poor quality 2 ply sidewall with street tread and inflated to 29 PSI. Maybe taller/wider new AT tires would help?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Last week I finally had the matching N70/N71e shocks installed to go with my 861/862 springs on my '94 daily driver. To my dismay the truck still rides very firmly/jarring on bad pavement, :bounce: which is everywhere down here.

Any idea if they are riding harsh because you are bottoming out the suspension while driving or because the shocks have too much compression dampning? I am not sure at all how the 70/71 shocks compare to the 73/74 shocks in terms of valving.

You've got the softest valved shocks that were ever offered.

How many miles are on your truck? Maybe it's such a drastic change, and it feels "like it should" to a lot of other people, but you're just not used to the change? I've got 850/863's with N73/N74E shocks and I wouldn't call it harsh at all.

I swapped some Iron Man 2" front coils into my rig (formerly your same setup) and the ride comfort improved greatly plus I gained a level lift stance. It was a win/win.

FWIW when I went from the 861/862 lift to the 850/863 lift my rig rode much better. I had the 861/862 on for about 3 years and it always seemd a little harsh on rough roads.

Putting some larger tires under yours should help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom