Will Oil Cap???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sorry for this dumb question....but for the life of me, I cannot remember if my oil cap is a screw on type or the other type (like a radiator type cap). Can somebody help me. I'm in orlando this week and my 92 Cruiser is back home (Minnesota). I found an oil cap like this one in the picture and cannot remember if mine is the same style or not. Also, do you guys think $60 is too much for this cap?Thanks in advance.
-lispeej
0104060116050103112008040422b3a07db16af9f5c6001d5b.jpg
01020701030301160620080404a2de6c0b1ecc13519d005c1b.jpg

I do not like those snazzy caps.

The original caps are "plastic" for a reason.

Grabbing one of those snazzy aluminum caps, on a hot engine, will singe your sandwich clamps faster than you can say "Sonofabitch!"

I do not like those snazzy caps.

The original caps are "plastic" for a reason.

Grabbing one of those snazzy aluminum caps, on a hot engine, will singe your sandwich clamps faster than you can say "Sonofabitch!"
so it's not recommended?

What I'm saying is if you choose to use one you will need to carry an oven mitt with you so that you can get the cap off when the engine is at operating temperature.

Other than that they are very pretty.

What's wrong with the original cap? This seems like a part that needs no upgrade.

It's not pretty.....:doh:

It's the screw type but please put your $ to better use;p

OK--I have a plastic cap story.

Riding my bike home from work, sitting in the middle of an intersection is an oil cap. It's obviously Toyota, so I pick it up to keep it from being smashed by another car. At home, I realize it is the same cap that came on my 80 series. So I open the hood of my FJ60. The original cap is looking tired, so I try the foundling. It's a perfect fit. That cap today is still capping my FJ60. Cool that Toyota kept the same threads for at least 13 years. Whoever is missing the cap I found, they had a bad day at some point.

yeah,
I should put my money to better use. I think $60 is a little too much for the cap. There is nothing wrong with my cap, just that I came across this TRD (look alike) cap and thought it may be a good deal.
Thanks everybody who replied.
-lispeej

Yeah but that's a TRD oil cap. It will get you about a 5 HP increase if you buy it and put it on. I know that's not a lot, but believe me - you will really notice it in the seat of your pants.

Dan

Yeah but that's a TRD oil cap. It will get you about a 5 HP increase if you buy it and put it on. I know that's not a lot, but believe me - you will really notice it in the seat of your pants.

Dan

Incorrect. This cap will give you the true HP gain....:p

0220081215.jpg

Incorrect. This cap will give you the true HP gain....:p

0220081215.jpg

Not without the spark plugs, spark plug wires, drivebelts, etc! :D :flipoff2: :D

I didn't know oil caps gave you more horse power.... I always thought it was the # of stickers you had on your car.... or maybe that is just with rice rockets:D

I didn't know oil caps gave you more horse power.... I always thought it was the # of stickers you had on your car.... or maybe that is just with rice rockets:D

no, stickers on an 80 will give you fame far and wide and make people talk about you constantly, gossiping about your social and wheeling life, as was amply demonstrated by one of our own here... :D

tech note : I have to look at my cap, I guess, I thought it had a much bigger pitch...

Once I was adding oil and forgot to put my cap back in. I always put it on the battery. After a few weeks, I opened to hood and was frustrated because there was no cap. Fortunately it was sitting in the battery compartment. That's my cap story.

Don't spend cash on this cap. It seems way overpriced. I would give $20 max. You don't have a supra either so I think that these caps just don't fit the style of the truck.

I bought one for like $12 on ebay, it is the imitation TRD like above, took off the sticker, just like the billet cap, Dan is right you better have a oven mit to open the cap, aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, I do not add oil to a hot engine anyway.

I am digging the TEQ cap, that is the one to have.

I couldn't help but add this. Two of my friends and I were out running around in an Isuzu Trooper. My friend that was driving had his license for exactly 2 days, which puts around Feb of 1990. Anyways, apparently his father and he had changed the oil earlier that day and forgot to put the cap back on. Not a huge deal until we later decided to drive offroad and well..............into a pond. Haha, not funny at the time because the last words of my friends father were, "Don't go offroad!" Yeah, that was a bad day. We had to hook up a John Deere 4250 to pull it out and of course, the entire engine took on as much water as it could handle. Water was up to the seats in the front and the wind shield.

Good times, good times!

Tripper

:lol::lol:
I couldn't help but add this. Two of my friends and I were out running around in an Isuzu Trooper. My friend that was driving had his license for exactly 2 days, which puts around Feb of 1990. Anyways, apparently his father and he had changed the oil earlier that day and forgot to put the cap back on. Not a huge deal until we later decided to drive offroad and well..............into a pond. Haha, not funny at the time because the last words of my friends father were, "Don't go offroad!" Yeah, that was a bad day. We had to hook up a John Deere 4250 to pull it out and of course, the entire engine took on as much water as it could handle. Water was up to the seats in the front and the wind shield.

Good times, good times!

Tripper

:lol::lol::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom