will my cruiser tip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 80 series and i was flexing it out today and it think it started tipping on me. I have a 4 inch lift on it and 35 dose any one have any idea on the angles that i should stick with. I think some where around 25 degrees when traversing.

Whilst riding in someone elses 80 i watched the bubble type stuck on the glove box go over 30......but I dont know that I would tell you to do it.

If you feel like your about ready to get out and run....thats a pretty good indication you should stop.

Nope

borg_roll.jpg

do you know the angle you were flexed at when it tipped or do you have any more pictures of it tipping

Drive your truck for a couple wheeling seasons and your butt-flex o meter will be spot on.

jaxcruiser said:
do you know the angle you were flexed at when it tipped or do you have any more pictures of it tipping
I would bet he wasn't looking at a gauge when that happened. If you thought you were about to tip, you're probably looking for a way to get out of danger, not what angle your at :eek: :doh:

jaxcruiser said:
I have an 80 series and i was flexing it out today and it think it started tipping on me. I have a 4 inch lift on it and 35 dose any one have any idea on the angles that i should stick with. I think some where around 25 degrees when traversing.
It's different for every situation, is the slope perfectly lined up, are there ruts in certain places, how much fuel do you have, how much cargo, are the tires going to slip before it tips, do you have a passenger, what is your center of gravity, do you have some momentum or are you essentially stopped, is there anything on the roof rack? Too many variables for me, to try to determine a specific angle that is safe.

firetruck41 said:
It's different for every situation, is the slope perfectly lined up, are there ruts in certain places, how much fuel do you have, how much cargo, are the tires going to slip before it tips, do you have a passenger, what is your center of gravity, do you have some momentum or are you essentially stopped, is there anything on the roof rack? Too many variables for me, to try to determine a specific angle that is safe.

firetruck nailed this one again :beer:

OEM wipers and oil filter will get you out of most tippy situations.

-Spike

If your ass sucks up into the top of your head and you don't tip...push the envelope next time. Keep doing that until you tip over- but seriously you'll get da feel of it. Best advise is to not watch a "levo-crap"-dey don't mean notin.

Go slowly for the first couple of seasons in your truck,
First real wheeling trip in my 91 resulted in a roll over on the way down from Moab Rim trail.
The best advice is if the pucker factor gets too high if you are heading up hill get off the gas, if you are heading down hill get off the brake.
Dave.

If you service her well, she might tip ya.
Cheers,
Sean

If you have time to look at the tilt meter, you are probably not tipping. I've been real close several times and the tilt meter had nothing to do with it. Those things are cool gadgets, but are nearly worthless in real life.
I've used vehicles ranging from fast desert bajas to slow 4X4's, and have learned to tighten the seat belt and wear the vehicle like a snug pair of jeans. With practice, your instincts will tell you when you might be in trouble. It's all just high school physics in action.

As a good friend of mine told me "put him on his roof"

Then he'll understand.

I have tipped once, not in a cruiser though. firetruck asked the right questions. But some answers to those questions are "yes" and some are "no". As he said: "It's different for every situation". I can tell you from my experience that if you are top heavy and/or lifted to a point where any thing you are carrying becomes your head weight (or close), you will tip, or want to tip at a very low angle. Best solution I have experienced so far is fitting the biggest tire possible with less possible lift. And the most important thig is: practice makes any thing perfect.

I think someone need training wheel outriggers:)

cruisers are very flexy with the right suspension, but when you consider how top heavy they are, your butt hole will be able to give you the best indication of where "too far" might be. You know you've reached the limit on roling over if your checking your underwear when you've come off an obstacle.:eek: thats why i carry an extra pair in my rig. :)

i wouldn't worry too much about clinometers either, i've seen them lie before when it comes to breakover angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom