Will I hurt my motor by adding a super charger? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a 95 FZJ80 with 72k on the clock. Engine is in excellent condition/ strong compression. My question is it too late to add a super charger on a engine with this mileage and cause it harm? ANy thoughts guys?
thanks

It is never too late.

You can "harm" an engine without a supercharger, so you will certainly be able to harm it better with a supercharger.

Any increase in power delivered reduces the potential life of the engine. That is always the tradeoff.

If you are really asking, "What will be the likely reduction of engine life due to adding a supercharger?", I would be surprised if anybody can provide an honest and accurate answer. Toyota may know. Bet they won't tell you.

Others can share stories of engines breaking shortly after installing superchargers. I think those experiences are in the minority.

Rich said:
It is never too late.

You can "harm" an engine without a supercharger, so you will certainly be able to harm it better with a supercharger.

Any increase in power delivered reduces the potential life of the engine. That is always the tradeoff.

If you are really asking, "What will be the likely reduction of engine life due to adding a supercharger?", I would be surprised if anybody can provide an honest and accurate answer. Toyota may know. Bet they won't tell you.

Others can share stories of engines breaking shortly after installing superchargers. I think those experiences are in the minority.

My thoughts exactly....thanks for validating my feelings. Since I will keep my 95 after the next rebuild, I may do it then.

I would do a search here. I know some have been unhappy because of having to use Premium gas and others love theirs.

It's not to late to add one, but its not a cheap investment. Make sure you understand the whole package before you put that kind of mula down!

My blower went on at 76,860 miles five years ago. I am a bit past 131,000 miles now. As long as the maintainence record is sound you should be OK. Do remember that a supercharged engine will require close monitoring to ensure long term reliability and it will require premium fuel to prevent engine damage. In addition the cooling system must be 100% at all times.

thanks I will search more.

I love the power and the sound of the motor when its floored, but I always wonder how good it would sound force fed too.

Last edited:
Why not wait a little and spring for the Turbo that MAF is supposedly coming out with soon. a few on the board have said its a reality and will come true....plus i "think" the turbo would put out more power and believe me, a turbo'd 1FZ sounds sick....

I'm at 250k miles so obviously it woould be dumb but im just a freshmen in college, i hope to run the 1fz til about 300k then rebuild and shortly there after, turbo it....thats the plan.
5k for a rebuild + 5k for a turbo= my pocketbook hurts

I guess I'd add that "just" bolting on a s/c or a turbo and calling it good is most likely not a good idea. I know several people that have installed the s/c on LCs, 4Runners, Tacos, etc. have had some issues associated with not fully addressing the fuel delivery to accompany the forced induction. Dealing with it can easily go above $1K just in parts depending on how you deal with it. H2O/meth injection along with a higher output fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator are the most direct methods and adding a FMU (like a UniChip) have been done as well. The s/c also does it's share to increase under hood temps so some have added cooling fans, hood scoops, etc. Also, the exhaust is pretty restrictive at the junction of the Y-pipe just in front of the cats so dealing with that as well as adding a free flowing cat back exhaust might be considered.

All of this is pretty much the same with the turbo too. MAF has said their kit will have a higher flow fuel pump and rising rate fuel pressure regulator, FMU and cat back exhaust. I personally don't think that will be any cheaper than $6K when it's all said and done.

And as it has been mentioned you'll be obligated to run synthetics throughout, premium fuel and have the cooling system fxning better than new. None of it cheap to be sure. Sound like most mods????

Just my input. BTW, I put the TRD s/c in around 100K miles, took it out around 125K, installed a Safari turbo at 140K and have 155K miles on it now.

Good luck.

Mike R

In very basic concept, both force-feed more air into the combustion chambers than can naturally be drawn in (otherwise known as "natural aspiration").
The supercharger does this via a crankshaft-driven compressor and the turbocharger does this via an exhaust-driven turbine.

Of the two, the supercharger is thought to be "parasitic" in that it consumes some of the additional power it generates while the turbocharger is generally considered to use "free" power.

Thanks Dan,
Might end up with an 80 so I have to peck around this site to get educated.
So then the turbo doesn't eat the Hp a s/c does I would immagine?
Sounds better. But if a turbo is developed by MAF could it be trusted?

devo

I can not speculate directly on your question. I can speak from previous experience with both systems. At present I own a blown 80 and a turbo-diesel Dodge truck. My past vehicles include a turbo 20R 1980 4WD Toyota truck. My old 20R RN47 was an extreme hoot to drive but it ran on a knife-edge and liked to fall off of it on a regular basis. It was a pull-through and utilized a variable-venturi SU carburetor off of a Jaguar. It was extremely difficult to tune and keep running properly. When it was in top form it was a mind-blower but on the other hand when it was unhappy it was a screaming bitch.

My Dodge truck runs all day long on 24 lbs boost and pulls like there is no tomorrow and I do not have to baby-sit it. My 80 is very much like the Dodge in that it does not need to be coddled to run properly but it does care very much about the condition of the cooling system.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom