Will engine run with MAF and cleaner hose removed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Thinking about spraying some cleaner in the throttle body the next time I have the air filter off to see if that will clean things up a bit without having to take the throttle body off, just a quickie, taking the air cleaner hose off and exposing the TB opening. Of course, then the MAF would no longer be functional.
Would the engine run with the air cleaner hose / MAF off - in case I decide to do this also with engine running to suck the cleaner in there as far as it'll go?
(Or is this a stupid idea? Yes, I'll admit I still think like a carb guy...)

Yes, I'm also aware that it's better to remove the TB, but this would be a quick attempt at cleaup without any real additional work besides taking the air filter off.

I may do the SeaFoam PCV bit later too.

(any new developments on the MAF cleaning PM?)

TIA

If you pull off the MAF the car should fall back to fueling off of manifold pressure and run that way. It will run poorly though. I wouldn't drive it that way but it should idle enough to suck down some cleaner.

landtank said:

OK, but no what? no running ? not a good idea?

Not a good idea. I don't think I'd try it.

cruiserdan said:
Not a good idea. I don't think I'd try it.

not try to run or not try to spray?

Not running the engine.

cruiserdan said:
Not running the engine.

OK, good to know. Dang, it's all opened up ready to go. Why do you think it would be bad to run the engine without the MAF?

It will have no idea what it is doing. In addition the heated wire could be damaged because no air is being pulled across it.

What will be happening is the engine will try to run but the computer will not see any air movement and won't know what to do about fuel.

Why don't you try it and see what happens. You have my number and I can supply whatever you fry....:grinpimp:

cruiserdan said:
It will have no idea what it is doing. In addition the heated wire could be damaged because no air is being pulled across it.

What will be happening is the engine will try to run but the computer will not see any air movement and won't know what to do about fuel.

Why don't you try it and see what happens. You have my number and I can supply whatever you fry....:grinpimp:

He should unhook the MAF entirely. The hot wire won't be damaged because it won't be powered.

Dan, is there a MAP sensor on these trucks?

No MAP on the 1FZ.

unplugging the MAF will throw codes that will need to be cleared, do remember that.

After removing and cleaning my TB once a time ago, I forgot to reconnect the wire harness for the MAF. Turned over, but immediately ran very sluggish and proceeded to die. And as Dan said, through a CEL MAF code. After taking a look-see, saw my mistake, reconnected the MAF and it started up and ran fine.

:beer:
Rookie2

OK, I didn't run it without the MAF. Took your advice to heart guys. Just sprayed everything with this NAPA stuff. Worked great. Loosened up all the gunk. Now spotless at least for what I can see. Used Doug's trick. I jacked up the side of the rig so that most of the crud flowed out. Good thinking that Doug!
Started fine with no smoke.

NO as in answering the question posed in the title of this thread. If you disconnect the MAF, the engine will not run. It will start and then stumble and die.

Straight forward question with a straight forward answer.

landtank said:
NO as in answering the question posed in the title of this thread. If you disconnect the MAF, the engine will not run. It will start and then stumble and die.

Straight forward question with a straight forward answer.

Thanks. Well, I didn't try to run it cuz I didn't want to take a chance on a problem and also possibly have some weird codes in there before taking a smog test. However, from what I've read elsewhere and what was mentioned above, I am guessing that it would have probably run if the MAF is disconnected.

e9999 said:
from what I've read elsewhere and what was mentioned above, I am guessing that it would have probably run if the MAF is disconnected.

?? who said that it would?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom