Will anyone help this old man see? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been trying to figure out what is the easiest way to get better headlights on my 2001 LX 470 with glass lens (not plastic). After reading the threads here, I am more confused than ever.

From what I can gather, my LX 470 has H1 as low beams and 9005 as high beams. I still don’t know what it has for fog lights.

I don’t want to wire up external ballasts because I did this on my 1998 Tacoma and I seemed to be replacing at least one Chinese ballast every 6 months. I also don’t think I would like any bulbs with fans on them because it just seems to be a way to suck dirt into the headlight housings.

I don't care what the bulbs cost but, I would like for them to be as long lasting as possible.

I don’t care what color the lights are as long as I can see further down the road.

Lexus LX 470 Pictures #1.jpg

I think it's basically two proven options—

HIR Bulbs. Trim a tab on the bulb itself, and they fit right in. Easy, cheap(-ish), a little more light. I found it to be a slight improvement at best.

Full HID setup. Tons of info here: LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET

I've done both, in sequence, and got my entire setup from Lou in the thread above. Other than one flaky igniter ($20 I think from Morimoto, and would have been free if I pursued a warranty claim), the system has been totally reliable.

I got Lou to build a set (yeah, I know: $$$) because I wasn't sure of the process at all. The baking and cutting and...seemed like too much for me to handle at the time. Then a rock broke out the brand new glass lens :censor: on my first road trip, and I had to take it all apart and do it anyway to replace the glass. If you're handy, it makes sense to get the brackets from Lou and wait for a sale at Morimoto.

Edit: I always forget LED. Some say they work, some don't. I haven't seen any proof that they don't scatter light all over the place and blind other drivers in traffic.

First part of your problem was the use of cheap chinese ballasts. You will need to go with something from TheRetroFitSource or HeadlightRevolution such as the Morimoto Mini D2s or something similar. Secondly, there is a member on the forum here that has created an adapter to allow for HID/BiXenon bulb fitment to the stock housing, just will take a bit of digging.

Ultimately, you aren't going to get a huge upgrade by simply changing the halogen bulb in the stock housing. If you go with something like an Osram Nightbreaker or Philips Nighthawk you may get some better visibility, but if you are having a hard time seeing at night you may also want to get your eyes checked for night blindness.

So spend the money on doing a retrofit conversion to allow for HID/LED conversion housings, which will require a ballast, or go with a higher end brand name like the OSRAM or Philips.

The fans on LED help cool the heat sink in the rear of the light. It is not open to the inside of the head lamp

I have been trying to figure out what is the easiest way to get better headlights on my 2001 LX 470 with glass lens (not plastic). After reading the threads here, I am more confused than ever.

From what I can gather, my LX 470 has H1 as low beams and 9005 as high beams. I still don’t know what it has for fog lights.

I don’t want to wire up external ballasts because I did this on my 1998 Tacoma and I seemed to be replacing at least one Chinese ballast every 6 months. I also don’t think I would like any bulbs with fans on them because it just seems to be a way to suck dirt into the headlight housings.

I don't care what the bulbs cost but, I would like for them to be as long lasting as possible.

I don’t care what color the lights are as long as I can see further down the road.

Ddm tuning hid’s in the lows and h1 in the high beams, have them in 2 lx’s identical to yours

Ddm tuning hid’s in the lows and h1 in the high beams, have them in 2 lx’s identical to yours
Do you have a parts list or a link of what I need?

Running the standard reflector housing or did you install a new projector? Stock housing in the LXs is more reflector based and installing LED/HID bulbs without proper housing is a good way to blind oncoming traffic.

Standard LX housing/projector, just go to DDM's website and select the bulb type.

LED technology has come a long way, but not sure which brands fit in the housings on the LX projector. The cutoff should stay the same as stock, just more light output. HIDs are great too, but the cheaper ones aren't very reliable as you've already seen. (The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades sells very nice HID kits)

For LEDs, I've ran Auxbeam LED drop-ins in my Taco housings for a couple of years now with good success. The highbeams will likely spill light everywhere as the reflectors are designed for halogen. That may not be an issue depending on how picky you are with that.

~Daryl

Last edited:
Another vote here for Morimoto components from The Retrofit Source. I've had them in my truck for +/- 3 years with no issues.

They have excellent customer service as well. If you call them and tell them the truck you have they can set you up with a good kit. I have Morimoto D2S HIDs in my truck using Acura TSX projectors and couldn't be happier. The brackets sold by the forum member in the link above are great and I'd recommend going that route for the easiest installation.

The cutoff should stay the same as stock, just more light output.

I’m a novice here but everything I’ve read from experienced people has been the opposite if this, thus all the trouble to find good upgrades. I’m pretty sure this isn’t true; actually, cutoff is lost if LED bulbs are just swapped in. Maybe I’ve misunderstood. Can anyone verify?

This...

HIR or HID retrofit.

HID retrofit is easy, just take your time. Will set you back $400+ as a DIY by the time you by the parts.
Upgrading your bulbs will set you back $120+ between lows and highs. Email this guy, Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply for the latest best bulb.

I think it's basically two proven options—

HIR Bulbs. Trim a tab on the bulb itself, and they fit right in. Easy, cheap(-ish), a little more light. I found it to be a slight improvement at best.

Full HID setup. Tons of info here: LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET

I've done both, in sequence, and got my entire setup from Lou in the thread above. Other than one flaky igniter ($20 I think from Morimoto, and would have been free if I pursued a warranty claim), the system has been totally reliable.

I got Lou to build a set (yeah, I know: $$$) because I wasn't sure of the process at all. The baking and cutting and...seemed like too much for me to handle at the time. Then a rock broke out the brand new glass lens :censor: on my first road trip, and I had to take it all apart and do it anyway to replace the glass. If you're handy, it makes sense to get the brackets from Lou and wait for a sale at Morimoto.

Edit: I always forget LED. Some say they work, some don't. I haven't seen any proof that they don't scatter light all over the place and blind other drivers in traffic.

Another vote here for Morimoto components from The Retrofit Source. I've had them in my truck for +/- 3 years with no issues.

They have excellent customer service as well. If you call them and tell them the truck you have they can set you up with a good kit. I have Morimoto D2S HIDs in my truck using Acura TSX projectors and couldn't be happier. The brackets sold by the forum member in the link above are great and I'd recommend going that route for the easiest installation.
Many recent reviews of Morimoto's say they've gone downhill in quality. You might've gotten the last good batch.

I’m a novice here but everything I’ve read from experienced people has been the opposite if this, thus all the trouble to find good upgrades. I’m pretty sure this isn’t true; actually, cutoff is lost if LED bulbs are just swapped in. Maybe I’ve misunderstood. Can anyone verify?
In a non-projector housing that can be correct. But often in a projector housing, the LED does just fine.

In my experience, the quality has gone up, from a wiring standpoint. (what they supply) TRS
I feel like I might have wrote too many times that I don't like their wiring. While true, I did see differences in it/them over 3 years for the better.
The d2s 5 assemblies are pretty stellar. Igniters not so much. (get the pink ones, amp ) Ballasts are up to the consumer. What else is there? Bulbs, I use their XB brand. Haven't had any failures except dropping one and breaking it (bulb) and hylux ballasts going strong far as I know for years and my personal XB ballasts have- I think 19 months on them.

headlight splitters are a shot in the dark, really they cost pennies from china and they all come from there. To get the best costs money taht not too many of us would pay.
the ones that I make, and Lou makes and sells are better but not foolproof. I think I'm rambling.

To be clear, the amount of supplies you get if you use their relay set up is a good deal. You won't be able to better it looking elsewhere unless you have your own supplies.
What you should have/order is two sets of them. OR, two of the same sized relays to fit the waterproof housing.

EDit, I just went to see waht prices are and see that they raised the twin relay to 30usd. I wouldn't buy that.
d2s 5 pojectors, 145
bulbs 35w 50
amp pink cords 15
XB 35w ballasts 110 =320, make your own relay. or not use one. Better headlights than any car out there today.

Last edited:

I have had LED bulbs in my stock LX projectors before and the cutoff was even more crisp and noticeable than with halogen bulbs. The only minor issue were the original "squirrel finders" cast some light in a few squares up higher than the cutoff, but it was minimal. Some people have blocked off the squirrel finders, most people leave it alone.

In my experience, the quality has gone up, from a wiring standpoint. (what they supply) TRS
I feel like I might have wrote too many times that I don't like their wiring. While true, I did see differences in it/them over 3 years for the better.
The d2s 5 assemblies are pretty stellar. Igniters not so much. (get the pink ones, amp ) Ballasts are up to the consumer. What else is there? Bulbs, I use their XB brand. Haven't had any failures except dropping one and breaking it (bulb) and hylux ballasts going strong far as I know for years and my personal XB ballasts have- I think 19 months on them.
The complaints seem mostly on the quality control of the Morimoto ballasts and/or igniters. They don't last or don't work from the start. I have no experience with them. I am still using Hella/Philips 35w ballasts from 14 years ago. Not a single problem.

I went outside and dug up an older amp ignitor, they are Soo much better it's laughable. I have no idea why they go with the tin covered rectangle ones with the m logo on it. They could have got a logo on a custom one with the regular round 90 degree amp pink. They really are good. Straight up copy from hid back in the day I believe. @3$ a pair

So the 9005 LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics are the easiest to wire up and don't require an external relay and battery connection?

Sorry guys, I understand some basic mechanics and a lot about stereo stuff. My only experience with upgrading lights was on that Tacoma because my 16 year old son wanted them and that was 9 years ago. So you all are talking over my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom