WILL ANY COAXIAL CABLE DO ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting a new 4 ft firestik on the ARB antennae bracket and have a question:

Will any type of coaxial cable work ? Or is one type better than the other ? Best place to buy it ?

Thank you -

This was covered in another thread if you're interested in searching. Buy it from a CB dealer. They're usually close to or in truck stops. There is an optimum length and construction. I can't remember the details but I belive 18' is the proper "quarter wave" or something like that.

Simmons found a good deal on a web site. The other thread will have the details...
-B-

Check your radio and antenna to see what the impedance requirement for the cable is. Most CB's use a 50 ohm (52 ohm) coax, most commonly RG/58U, or some low-loss variant... as long it is 50 ohm.

The coax most commonly found around the home in TV/cable installations is usually 75 ohm and will mess up your radio, unless it (and the antenna) specifically requires 75 ohm coax.

R -

Ron is spot on. Rg 58U cable is correct. 1/4 wave is optimal.(18 ft.) I believe one can skate either way in 3 foot incriments IIRC.

Right on, good buddy. ::)

Not that it will really make a huge difference for CB, but if you want 'the good stuff' have a look at some of the larger radio outlets like:

http://www.hamradio.com/

They will have high-quality coax and you can often buy premanufactured lengths with components already soldered on.

Cheers, Hugh

Gentlemen:

I just got the ARB antennae mount for my FZJ80 and have mounted it on the passenger side of the bullbar. &nbsp:Does anyone know the length of coaxial cable needed to run from the center console to the mount ? I ccould obviously measure it, but if anyone has already done it would certainly save some time.

Thank you,

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom