WILL ANY COAXIAL CABLE DO ?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Beast II, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Beast II

Beast II

I'm putting a new 4 ft firestik on the ARB antennae bracket and have a question:

Will any type of coaxial cable work ? Or is one type better than the other ? Best place to buy it ?

Thank you -

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

This was covered in another thread if you're interested in searching. Buy it from a CB dealer. They're usually close to or in truck stops. There is an optimum length and construction. I can't remember the details but I belive 18' is the proper "quarter wave" or something like that.

Simmons found a good deal on a web site. The other thread will have the details...
    -B-

3. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

Check your radio and antenna to see what the impedance requirement for the cable is. Most CB's use a 50 ohm (52 ohm) coax, most commonly RG/58U, or some low-loss variant... as long it is 50 ohm.

The coax most commonly found around the home in TV/cable installations is usually 75 ohm and will mess up your radio, unless it (and the antenna) specifically requires 75 ohm coax.

R -

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Ron is spot on. Rg 58U cable is correct. 1/4 wave is optimal.(18 ft.) I believe one can skate either way in 3 foot incriments IIRC.

Right on, good buddy. ::)

5. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

Not that it will really make a huge difference for CB, but if you want 'the good stuff' have a look at some of the larger radio outlets like:

http://www.hamradio.com/

They will have high-quality coax and you can often buy premanufactured lengths with components already soldered on.

Cheers, Hugh

6. Beast II

Beast II

Gentlemen:

I just got the ARB antennae mount for my FZJ80 and have mounted it on the passenger side of the bullbar. &nbsp:Does anyone know the length of coaxial cable needed to run from the center console to the mount ? I ccould obviously measure it, but if anyone has already done it would certainly save some time.

Thank you,

Matt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.