Will a rim with a 1600lb max load capacity work for my FJZ 80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not the best at maf, but if I takes 4 1600 pounds I gets 6400 pounds.

MUD sez stock weight is 4850 pounds. It also sez various members have taken their 80's to the scale and approached 6900 pounds fully loaded.

If it were me I would go with a stronger wheel. I think that's what you were asking. Personally I like to go way under capacity on every component if by some chance you get into an accident an some wise ass like me does maf.

The Load Range C tires I have show a load rating of 2405 pounds each.

Some Load Range E Tires are capable of 3750 pounds per tire. In any case I would not go under the capacity of your tire.

Last edited:
Thanks, I know the truck weighs less than 6400 but I was wondering if that was still to little.

I am no expert in this but it seems to me that a 5,000 lb suv could create more than 8,000 lbs of dynamic force when driving, especially over washboard or other rough roads.

But maybe they take that into account with wheel max loads. Is it as simple as 4 wheels need to have a max load more than the weight of the vehicle?

I am no expert in this but it seems to me that a 5,000 lb suv could create more than 8,000 lbs of dynamic force when driving, especially over washboard or other rough roads.

But maybe they take that into account with wheel max loads. Is it as simple as 4 wheels need to have a max load more than the weight of the vehicle?
Yes, then add in your payload, then service factor.

I do recall the Toyota 80 rims were designed to hit a 4" kerb and not sustain any damage at 40 MPH, I run mine at max weight most of the time, (I have the weighbridge tickets somewhere) not had an issue yet on or off road, and I have done some s*** for sure!

Regards

Dave

Will a rim with a 1600lb max load capacity work for my FJZ 80.
Hi James. I don't know much about the FJZ80, but I will comment regarding an 80 series LC. You can follow my guidance here. I believe that a 1997 unloaded 80 series Toyota LC with add-ons (winch, roof rack, tire carrier, etc.) is approaching 5700 pounds. You must factor in passengers and payload to make this final determination, but 2 adults plus 2 kids plus a fully loaded ice chest and tool box is approaching 600 additional pounds. So let's say 6300 pounds/4 = 1575 pounds, so you are getting a little close regarding the rim load capabilities. Factor in some jumps, and you are over the limit for an 80 series LC. You may want to consider forged rims ($$$) and/or bead-locks (not for street in CA). Good luck. Gene.

Here in Oz the GVM for an 80 series is 2.96 tonnes (6526 lbs) so any wheels you use must be rated to support the maximum legal load but ideally you'd want a good safety margin. Also remember it's not just the wheels but also the tyres that have to be considered.

You can roughly divide the gvm by 4 and that tells you (inaccurately) when each wheel/tyre will nominally by carrying if the vehicle is fully loaded (including the towball download of anything be towed).

Loaded for a trip to death valley with two kids.
6900lbs.

20220218_083805.jpg

There are plenty that are heavier.

Does anyone know what the factory wheels are rated for?

I do not know the actual figure, but can say they would obviously cover an 80 that is fully loaded and allow for a safety factor. As an aside, they look good, they have an offset that allows for safety in fitment and the way the suspension/steering loads are not compromised.

Regards

Dave

Does anyone know what the factory wheels are rated for?
Do a search for posts from @Golgo13 as he is an engineer for Toyota and has dealt with the wheels for these trucks. (No they are NOT forged wheels)

I think he may have stated in one of his posts what the ratings are. Do the search, as he has a lot of posts related to wheels as well as other things.

If you use the word "forged" in your search, you may find what you're looking for faster, but there is still a lot of reading because they are not dedicated threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom