WILL a LEXUS 1997 LX 450 steering wheel replace my Toyota 2000 Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I would appreciate some expert advice. I want to buy a used w/ airbag 1997 LX 450 steering wheel and put it on my Toyota 2000 Land Cruiser. I want to do this b/c my hands have worn the leather completely off in parts of the wheel and I know with the LEXUS wooden steering wheel that will never be a problem. But before I buy this expensive part I would like some reassurances from you all if this switch will work or if it will not. TO clarify I have a working w/ airbag leather Toyota 2000 Land Cruiser and want to remove it and replace it with a Lexus 1997 LX 450 wooden steering wheel w/ airbag. The wheel is an original wheel and NOT a knock-off from Taiwan, etc. It is straight from their Lexus dealership. I would really appreciate your advice and/or recommendations on this issue. THANK YOU In advance!
CJ Johnson
Semper Fi
HooYah
cj007sd@me.com

As far as I know, the US version of the LX 450 never came with a wooden steering wheel? Do you have a pic or link to the wheel you're considering?

Last edited:
I have a 97 LX450 and it does not have a wooden steering wheel. I agree with RND1 and don't think it ever came with one. The LX470 got them starting in 2001 I think.

OK - Thank you guys. I am just trying to replace my Toyota 2000 L.C. with a wooden Wheel. Any ideas or I will continue to check classifieds. I would be very surprised if I am the first that wanted a wooden steering wheel for their Land Cruiser
Thank you!!

Why not a wood sttering wheel from a 2000 LX470?

I own a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser and no one has told me yet IF that will swap = toyota vs Lexus AND more importantly a brand new wooden LEXUS Steering wheel I believe is around $700 new. Just checking but Toyota did NOT make a 2000 w/ a woooden wheel - CORRECT?? THAT is way more money than I am willing to spend on a steering wheel. If i can find one that someone is selling b/c their SUV was totaled or find a used one some other way I would buy it. I just need an assurance that it will switch over and then I need to find someone that is selling one. EBAY has FAKE owns from China, Taiwan, etc for about $300-$500. Out of principal I would prefer NOT to buy a fake one and I would prefer not to buy from CHINA when given the chance. I don't need to hear a rant from someone else that almost everything is my house is probably from CHINA but when I can knowingly make a difference I DO. ANY help would be greatly appreciated in finding a USED Wooden steering wheel with a Tan/Beige leather part at 3 O'clock and 9 O'clock and I could care less about the wood color at 12 and 6. I can't believe I am the 1st person that has done this or researched it. I would ask for any Land Cruiser expert out there what their advice is. It is looking like this is too expensive of an upgrade when that money can be better spent on many other Overlanding modifications but at the same time my leather wheel is almost down to no leather. PLEASE help and any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you guys
CJ
Semper Fi
HooYah

You live in SoCal - the center of the universe for classic car restoration! Google or Yelp upholstery shops in your area and have them rewrap your factory wheel in new leather! Prob run you $100.

The problem is I don't want to have the same problem in 10,000 miles. I would rather spend more now and know that my hands are not able to grind though wood. But thank you for the idea

Maybe don't grip the wheel so tight? Sounds like you need kevlar not wood. :eek:

Ooooh kevlar steering wheel, may be on to something sdnative.:hmm:

The problem is I don't want to have the same problem in 10,000 miles. I would rather spend more now and know that my hands are not able to grind though wood. But thank you for the idea

Well, my stock wheel has 11 years and 90K miles on it and it's not peeling. If it's done right, it should last you 100,000 miles.

Well, my stock wheel has 11 years and 90K miles on it and it's not peeling. If it's done right, it should last you 100,000 miles.

+1 I just had my '03 wheel recovered only because the PO had put a big scratch in the top of it and it finally started to bother me. 150,000 miles on it. My guy did a beautiful job. About $300 here in Dallas.

Keep your truck out of the sun and/or use a sun shade in the windshield while parked and the leather will last a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom