Will a '78 radiator fit a '72 FJ40?

I ordered a new 4 core radiator for my '72 FJ40 the other day from Arrowhead Radiator for $165. A lady from there called me today and told me that even though it had showed in stock, they are not and that she couldn't find me one from any of their sources. She said the closest thing was one for a '78 and that wouldn't work for me. There's obviously got to be differences in them, but would the one for the '78 work fine in my stock '72?

miker

My experience is that it will work fine. Could be some minor differences in the drain plug, overflow nipple, and perhaps what radiator cap will fit. For that matter, any aftermarket radiator for a Land Cruiser may not take the stock cap. No big deal, just get one that fits with the same pressure rating as stock.

I think you'll have to drill 2 holes in the flange on the side of the radiator to match up with the holes in the 72 shroud.

I have a 78 rad in my 74 and that's what I had to do.

Kevin

miker

Toyo FJ40 said:
I think you'll have to drill 2 holes in the flange on the side of the radiator to match up with the holes in the 72 shroud.

I have a 78 rad in my 74 and that's what I had to do.

Kevin
Or just attach it with the 4 corner bolts?

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer

isn't the top of the rad where the rad hose connects on the other side . f engine rad has it on the passenger side 2f rad has the hose connect on the drivers side . ?? who knows i have one of each and the top rad hose connects to the top of the rad on different sides unless one of mine is a diesel rad ??

Top Bottom