Will a 1980 - 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 FJ62 Steering Wheel work on a 1973 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve seen it before, it might take some jerry rigging but I’ve seen it before. My question is—why? It cheapens the look of the interior and makes it look worse. The plasticky toyota look just doesn’t belong in the interior of a 40 in my opinion.

I’ve seen it before, it might take some jerry rigging but I’ve seen it before. My question is—why? It cheapens the look of the interior and makes it look worse. The plasticky toyota look just doesn’t belong in the interior of a 40 in my opinion.
Because I don't want to spend $600 - $1200 for an OEM FJ40 steering wheel. I saw one today for $1700. Pure idiocy!

Because I don't want to spend $600 - $1200 for an OEM FJ40 steering wheel. I saw one today for $1700. Pure idiocy!

Last edited:
I can't recall when the spline count changed. I love my fj60 steering wheel and clearance to my body changes that have occurred in the last 20 years of this hobby. The 62 wheel has a slightly different dish. You will need to change the detents that cancel the turn signals. Pretty simple with a drill and new roll pins.

I looked into this a while back, and pretty sure they are direct swap as far as splines are concerned.

Steering column changed from 36 spline to the standard 33 spline 7/69.

Most I ever paid for any steering wheel was a leather one out of a 1994 80 series. Two years old cost $75 from a wrecking yard. Guessing around fifteen years ago I bought a gray FJ62 steering wheel for $7.50. This was on mud for a while and price kept dropping. Also when shipping was still cheap. It's crazy how much everything cost today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom