Will 4Runner rims fit on an FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any 4Runner rims that will fit onto an FJ80? Or are the 4Runner rims not compatible at all on FJ80's?

Thanks!

Depends

Some 4Runner rims are 15" (older ones) and some are 16"

I know that the 15" rims usually hit the rear calipers.

The bolt pattern is the same, not sure on BS though

And since everyone complains to me about it, i might as well reciprocate, use the search! :D

Back spacing is diffrent, allthough 3rd gen and up will fit because they are 6lug. The 15" wheels hit the rear calipers. But it can be done.

All runners, 1984 to current, have 6 lug wheels. 16 inch appear in the 1996 model year. None of them have the "correct" fitment for an 80.

Try Tundra/Sequoia rims -- they're 17", but will fit IIRC.

If the Sequoia/Tundra wheels fit, than the 2003-2005 4Runner wheels will also fit. So there is a various selection of 16-17" wheels there... the older 4Runner wheels will look "pushed in" too far on the LC.

The older 4Runner guys like using 80 alloys b/c they stick out a bit and look good.

You guys missed it, he said FJ80 and his sig line says 92. I've run 15x7 steel 4Runner rims on my 91 FJ80 without any ill effects, I even ran the really old 84/85 SR5 4Runner steel chrome 15x6s on my 80 for awhile. Which because of backspacing actually widens the track of the 80 even though the rim is narrower. A friend of mine ran 16x7 4Runner alloys on his 94 without ill effects. Backspacing can be different on these, but I haven't found that to be the issue. The issue is the rim width. By sticking with the same backspacing and going to a 1" narrower rim you effectively narrow your track 1" on a FZJ80. I don't like this. Especially on a lifted 80. On the FJ80 you are staying the same as the 91/92s came from the factory with 15x7s. As matter of fact, the SR5 4 runners came with the same rims but with different lugs for several years as 91/92 FJ80s. I can't recall the exact difference but the rims are the exactly the same with a different lug.

I am dredging this one up from the archives because it was a question I recently had. I bought a 4Runner 15x7JJ-8 wheel. It has the same outward appearance as the 15x7JJ(10) wheels on our 1992 Land Cruiser. However, it is designed for use with flanged lug nuts, while our Cruiser has conical nuts that fit onto countersunk steel inserts in the stud openings. Perhaps the steel 4Runner rims use conical nuts and will work, hence ginericfj80's post. If you are considering swapping factory alloy wheels between a Land Cruiser and a 4Runner, it probably will require different lug nuts at a minimum.

Does anyone know what the JJ(10) and JJ-8 portion of the rim castings signify? The 4Runner rim with JJ-8 also has a cast OFFSET 8 marking.

I had a spare set of 92 4runner alloys with studs I ran all last winter with no problems. Planned on keeping them as my winter wheels for the cruiser, but maybe I shouldn't until I get different lugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom