Will 40/55 brake fluid reservoirs fit on an 80 brake M/C? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
Planning on updating the brake master in my '74 FJ55. Sent away for City Racer's brake booster, went to Napa for a master cylinder. Got an 80 master, non-ABS, it was in stock! But it didn't come with a brake fluid reservoir. Got back in line and inquired about one. "We don't even list those". Hmmm. I kinda like the 80 series reservoir that feeds both circuits with one fill hole, but I also like the original twin reservoir look, and that you can see if one circuit is losing fluid and one is gaining...
So, I'm pretty sure I can find an 80 reservoir somewhere; but could I just use my current reservoirs on the new master?
I don't have any spare reservoirs to check fit. I'm going to assume (I know, I know) that the reservoir hold down hollow screw/bolt thingies are the same thread and such. Does anyone know for sure off-hand?
The 80 master is shorter that the 55 with the mountings for the reservoir(s) closer together. Eyeballing it suggests that both of the 55 reservoirs will fit without bumping into each other. Would anyone know if this is so as well?
Thank you as always,
Pighead

Well, shoot, not as easy as I had hoped.
Thank you Lil'John for the follow up and bad news. Let me eyeball mine (made in USA, not OEM) and compare. Make sure it's got the little tab and stuff.

Found another MC at 0reillys today, comes with a reservoir. cheap too at 67 bucks. Do not like. Made in China (nttawwt), not iron but aluminum (might not be a bad thing, not sure), has some kind of port at the forward end that I don't know what it does, it was not as pictured in their on-line catalog, probably gonna take it back.
Cast iron MC from NAPA (97 bucks) looks closer to OEM, has the tab for mounting reservoir. made in USA
Found a Beck-Arnley MC also at oreillys that looks closer to oem, comes with reservoir, but is special order and I'll find out tomorrow price & availability

20200409_164808.jpg

20200409_164735.jpg

20200409_164719.jpg

Oh, wow. I had no idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom