Will 37"s clear 4" lift for DAILY driving?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dilemma: I have been waiting for 35" Toyo's for THREE months now...still can't get them. BUT, I can get 37" Toyos right now but I only have a 4" lift.
Question:
Can I run 37's on a 4" lift on the STREET ONLY until I get my 6" lift put on? Any rubbing issues with 37's on the STREET only ( I realize 37's will rub badly on a 4" lift offroad)
airlaird

I think Kumar put 37 inch Krawlers on his truck with J springs all around. IIRC, he ended up doing a bit of trimming here and there.
Are new gears apart of your build?

Toyo 37" run more then stated they measure 37.1" You will need more work then a 6" kit to wheel with Toyo 37". Drop your bump stops enough and they will work on the street.
Are you running 16" or 17" rims. The reason I ask is I talk with Toyo a week ago and the did not even make enough of the 35 x 17 to fill the existing back order. :mad:

I will be running 17" wheels...again I'm tired of waiting on the 35"s. Phil you're saying 37's even on a 6"lift won't temporarily work for daily street driving??
airlaird

You better have 4:88's on the plate too or you won't be able to pull the skin off of a custard.......

37's should fit with a 4" lift, fit a set of Christo's arms, to move the front diff forward, or ream the eye and fit a castor correction bush to the back eye, moving the diff forward 14mm, [see pic] and run 30mm bump stop spacers front and rear, as long as you have longer shocks to allow for the shorter up travel, you will gain what you lose in up, travel in droop.

I used to run 36" tyres with OME 850 and 860 springs, and 20mm bump stop spacers.

Last edited:
I already Christo's arms on the truck, etc.. and 4:56's I presume 4:56's should suffice for 37's???
airlaird

I'd go 4.88's for 36 and up. But what about adding a Truspeed and leaving the 4.56's?

-------------

ats4x4, you ran 36's with only 850/860's and less than an inch bumpstop spacer?? Did you also run packers, or coil spacers?

TY

4.56's wil be fine, as I used the 4.11's on mine, with 36"s, and yes Tyler I ran only the springs and no packers, front tyres touched just at full compression, though a BFH made some extra room in there, and the rears just touched at full tilt on the inner part of the rear fender, but I always found it good to be able to hear when you had reached full articulation thack thack thack thack as he swamper lug touches going around :flipoff2:

PS, Tyler, think shedguy, with new ID here :flipoff2:

airlaird said:
I will be running 17" wheels...again I'm tired of waiting on the 35"s. Phil you're saying 37's even on a 6"lift won't temporarily work for daily street driving??
airlaird

37" and a 6" will work for a DD no problem my guess is that you can run 37's with your present set up for a DD. Hell Tools r Us brother drove around a couple days with 35" with NO lift and no damage! If you are going to wheel 37's you need more than what a Slee 6" offers.

Toyo's 37's are true to size plus (37.1")...I run 2 different set of 37's and both measure a little under size.
HTH

I have 37" krawlers on 17" rims, 3.5" backspacing and slees 6" lift. After the lift, When the tires were installed, they hit on the body parts, had to trim a bit and remove plastic parts.
I think you might be ok if you did not go off road. but as soon as you go off pavement, I think youll rub and tear. Youll be fine with the gearing as long as you dont mind 6-10 mpg. So, as a dd, it will cost you 50 bucks to fill every 125-175miles. I have picts in another thread under picts of lift and tires.
-Ron

Last edited:
ats4x4dotcom said:
PS, Tyler, think shedguy, with new ID here :flipoff2:

:eek: :whoops: .. Hi Darren :beer:

TY

Project FJ80 said:
I have picts in another thread you can see.
-Ron

Bloody sweet pics too :D Beadlocks rarely looked so good .. nice job Ron.

TY

Tyler I have a truespeed with my 4"56's....I'm not sure what your'e suggesting? How is the Truespeed relevant in regards to 4:88's or 4"56's if I run on 37's??
airlaird

airlaird said:
Tyler I have a truespeed with my 4"56's....I'm not sure what your'e suggesting? How is the Truespeed relevant in regards to 4:88's or 4"56's if I run on 37's??
airlaird
I was just suggesting it because I remember it having two settings, and a few methods for recalibrating based on bigger tires, different gears, or both.

My reference wasn't in regards to 4.56 or 4.88, so much as suggesting Truspeed could help calibrate for gearing.

Best of luck,

TY

Project FJ80 said:
I have 37" krawlers on 17" rims, 3.5" backspacing and slees 6" lift. After the lift, When the tires were installed, they hit on the body parts, had to trim a bit and remove plastic parts.
I think you might be ok if you did not go off road. but as soon as you go off pavement, I think youll rub and tear. Youll be fine with the gearing as long as you dont mind 6-10 mpg. So, as a dd, it will cost you 50 bucks to fill every 125-175miles. I have picts in another thread under picts of lift and tires.
-Ron

This post is just text with no LINK :flipoff2:

I just wrote something on the older thread so it could be seen as new when you refresh...
Im too much of a noob to make a link... but if you want.. you can help me out and link it,, then tell me how so I can do it next time.

Project FJ80 said:
I just wrote something on the older thread so it could be seen as new when you refresh...
Im too much of a noob to make a link... but if you want.. you can help me out and link it,, then tell me how so I can do it next time.

Simply go to the link you want to use, cut and paste it here, and "wrap" the text, or click on the 'insert hyperlink" button in reply screen [little world with like 2 chain links in front of it which should put [ URL ]http:// you then add your link in here by hitting paste after cutting it from its location[/ URL ] < - and the link should be closed by this , when you click the hyperlink button in the reply window.

once linked your link should look like this <--- move mouse over colored text and click.

and the link you need for that post is https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=55686

hey Laird,

I would wait for the Toyo's or wait till you drop Slee´s coils....

4.56´s are going to barely push the 37´s but would work great on 35´s...

I run Slee´s coils on 37 MTR´s and they rub the body (specially in the back) all the time.... so with a 4'' lift even if you don´t trail it you're going to have tire rub going into slanted parking lots, etc.

I'm even considering downsizing to 36'' tires to get more articulation and gearing out of my rig.... and keeping the 37's for street....

Keep in mind that when you go bigger than 35'' on an 80 you cross a threshold were you start hindering it's performance (unless you are very careful and wealthy) more than aiding it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom