Will 35" tires work OK on stock 16x8 wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mud,

I am planning on a set of 35" (315) tires on my 80, using the stock 16x8 rims. Will this be a problem? I'd rather nor spend $$$ on 16x10 wheels. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks guys!

--Lindsay

Works fine, done everyday.

Her's a wicked great idea... search. :doh: So many times people have posted up about running 35s. Running 35s these days is almost standard.

Thanks Cruiserdrew!

Hey Junk...ever heard the one about assuming? Do a search with --35" tire wheel--and see what comes up. Nothing, zip, nada. Then --tire wheel size--nothing helpful. Then --35" wheel--figuring the two words would be together in a post. Nothing. Then --35" tire wheel size--nothing again. Just so you know, I did search. I always search. But thanks for your helpful answer...:rolleyes:

--Lindsay

The only reason I even was wondering was the tire is listed as 12.5 inches wide, which seems a bit wide to mount on an 8"-wide rim. That's all.

tire section width x .66 = good rim width...

12.5 x .66 = 8.25...close enuf.

Isn't it the general concensus that one must (or should) have at least a 2" to 3" lift to run 315s without problems?

Eddie

mason said:
Isn't it the general concensus that one must (or should) have at least a 2" to 3" lift to run 315s without problems?

That wasn't his question.

-B-

Lindsay-

I went with a 16x10 just because I had them in the garage and I would rather beat up steel wheels than my factory 40th alloys. However, I have found that 12.5" tires stay on the bead better with the narrowerer rim when they are aired down for off roading. (i.e. the tire won't come off the rim.) I would recommend using a 8" wheel with a 315 and possibly an 1" wheel spacer for more stability, if you feel so inclined. I hope that helps. :cheers:

Beowulf said:
That wasn't his question.

-B-

Well, Lindsay is a she, and she only got her 80 3 months ago, and while she may know about lifts, she hasn't posted anything about her truck being lifted yet (that I've seen).

I'm posting in the hopes that if she didn't know of potential problems, that she'd become aware of them if her truck isn't lifted before she sticks 315s under an unlifted rig.

Not an expert here, but I've benefited from and appreciated all the help that's been thrown my way, asked for or not.

So, is it the rule here that one can only answer directly the question that was asked?

Eddie

Great info! Thanks guys! I'm planning a 4" lift, actually. I'm going with the 35's on my stock rims, steel if I really get motivated so I can weld them if they break. And when it happens, i'll post it WITH PICS cos I know from many weeks of lurking on Mud that I can't stand to get the TTIWWP line! :)

--Lindsay

LindsayInCali said:
Hey Junk...ever heard the one about assuming?

Yup, apparently I gave you too much credit there sparkie. You could also go to the CruiserGarage and look at all the 80 series running 315~35s.

Your comment about welding your 'broken' steel rim has me puzzled though lol. I've seen 'em bend, but breaking a steel rim? :confused:

All the tire manufacturers publish acceptable rim widths for each of their tires. I give more weight to the manufacturer's recommendations than the many "I did it and don't have any problems" reports one can find on the web. See what the manufacturer has to say about the specific tire you have in mind.

35 are fine i am going to try 37's thats a little risky i kno but i like to live life on the edge

LindsayInCali said:
The only reason I even was wondering was the tire is listed as 12.5 inches wide, which seems a bit wide to mount on an 8"-wide rim. That's all.

Seeings how I got 35x12x15 on a 7" wide rim (stock 91 FJ80 rim is 15x7) on my daily driver, the 8" will work for you.
I was skeptical about mounting the tires on the rims but now that they are on there and months later, I REALLY like the setup. I can air down to 10 PSI with no problems at all. I like that...

STeel Rims tend to bend more than they break. Bent one up at Gorman a while back. Beat it back into shape and held air, but use it as a spare now. if you're buying steels, make sure you have a nice jr. sledge to match

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom