Will 3/4 cup of brake fluid hurt my power steering system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Despite my wife's explicit instructions, the driver topped off our power steering system with brake fluid. Any idea if it will hurt it enough to justify flushing the system?

Cheers,
Rich

I hate when my driver does that........Tell your driver to ask your mechanic........

Last edited:
personally I probably wouldn't flush it but I would probably suck out the reservoir with a turkey baster and refill with ATF...unless I was due for a flush anyway......

get it out of there immediately. brake fluid is a very aggressive anhydrous fluid, the seals in your power steering system are not compatible and it will cause significant problems.

Will 3/4 cup of brake fluid hurt my power steering system?

It was nice for you to measure it before putting it in..

Yes get it out...easy thing to use is a turkey baster.... find cheap at a 99c/$1.00 store.... AND once you get it out and and new fluid in...THROW THE BASTER AWAY...As I hope you do with the measuring cup you used to put the "3/4 cup" in...

Maybe it was measured in liters

I actually have no idea how much he put in (I'm estimating) but I've been driving the truck around for three days since it was topped up so I imagine it has circulated throughout the system. I'll have it flushed. Thanks for the advice. It never ceases to amaze me how great the mechanical literacy challenges are here. I started taking creepers apart in my dad's shop when I was 8 or so and have owned and serviced dozens of old cars over the years. I bought the LJ so I could start teaching my 12 yo son some mechanical basics. He knocked out his first oil change on the cruiser last night with some assistance. I didn't realize I'd be locked in a constant struggle to protect it from the guy that drives my son to school.

Cheers,
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom