Will 2866 springs work with stock shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdfern

SILVER Star
Threads
I just installed an ARB rear bumper on my 2003 100 series LC. I lost about an inch from the weight of the bumper. If I install OME 2866 springs will the stock Toyota shocks be ok until I can replace the shocks in the future?

Yes. The 866 are a full inch shorter free height than the factory Toyota coils. Lots of us run OME coils that are longer with the OEM Tokico shocks.

Yes. They are Constant rate spring . 2865’s also work with OEM shocks. A lot of guys use them on this forum

Yes. They are Constant rate spring . 2865’s also work with OEM shocks. A lot of guys use them on this forum
So do 860, 862, 863, 864, 866, and 868. The only ones that could cause an issue are the 863J springs. Everything else works fine with stock shocks.

The 2866 is a progressive rate spring.

Reactions: jLB
2865 is not heavy enough of a spring for a rear carrier. IMO the OEM shocks are not sturdy enough to be safe with that kind of weight in the rear. They don't have enough dampening.

2865 is not heavy enough of a spring for a rear carrier. IMO the OEM shocks are not sturdy enough to be safe with that kind of weight in the rear. They don't have enough dampening.
I agree that the 865s are a poor choice for a rear carrier, but not because they aren’t “heavy enough”. Their spring rate (220 lbf/in) is sufficient for a rear carrier, albeit on the low end, but the 865s are a full inch shorter than factory coils, causing the rear to sag terribly under any weight.

Paired with a proper coil spring, I don’t see why OEM Tokico shocks won’t work with a rear carrier, as you suggest. Plenty of folks run them with rear carriers without issue.

I agree that the 865s are a poor choice for a rear carrier, but not because they aren’t “heavy enough”. Their spring rate (220 lbf/in) is sufficient for a rear carrier, albeit on the low end, but the 865s are a full inch shorter than factory coils, causing the rear to sag terribly under any weight.

Paired with a proper coil spring, I don’t see why OEM Tokico shocks won’t work with a rear carrier, as you suggest. Plenty of folks run them with rear carriers without issue.

It's my opinion, but also from experience having the 865s in the rear (with trim packers) with my rear bumper on for a few weeks - they weren't enough spring. I did crank up my adjustable rear shocks with the 865s and was managing okay.

I had stock shocks on without the rear bumper but with the 865's and they road pretty well, but still didn't feel like they dampened enough to be safe during higher speed driving such as up and down passes at 60-70MPH, definitely felt unsafe during any evasive maneuvering, trailering, when loaded down for camping, turning into or up a road or driveway at speed where compression and turning was happening at the same time, washboard roads, etc. The spring certainly carries most of the weight, but the shock played a big part in controlling roll, rebound, impacts, etc. and I think a heavier shock is important for a taller spring and more weight.

I think the Tokico shock is a fantastic shock, I don't think it is valved for the kind of weight many of us are putting on their vehicles - especially after its broken in.

Ok resurrecting this bit older thread....
Started having a squeak after my recent trip to Hurricane, UT back in March. Finally got a chance to diagnose and it is coming from right front shock for sure. Bolts/nuts are all tight but in an effort to try and diagnose I realized that the shock is leaking and thus in need of replacement.

I have always felt like my 865s rode a bit on the hard side even comparison to the old suspension I had in my 60 series. Now that squeak is getting constant and really annoying so debating on just replacing the shock with another OME (like $120 from Summitt Racing), or if I should upgrade.

Suspension already has full OME setup with 1.5" light/medium lift (with the 865s) and dont plan to go much higher than that (maybe to 2" sometime in the future). So I don't have any extra weight at the moment but will eventually save up for a rack (debating between Prinsu and Gamiviti Expo++) with an awning up top. So question becomes, upgrade to something like the Tough Dogs or Ironman Foam Pros (about $200+ a corner) or should I just go with the OEM Tokico's for now until I upgrade everything down the line with real weight coming when I eventually do a bumper (aluminum Dissent is current thought).

Oh yeah... truck is DD with the occasional wheeling trip with the club or if I am somewhere that requires like going to Hurricane (which will be happening more often). So maybe call it 70/30 usage for on-road vs. off-road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom