Will 285/55/20 spare tire fit under 2000 LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 2000 LX470 with bigger than OEM tires put on. They are hankook dynapro 285/R55/20s but the spare tire looks like the original at 265/75/16.

My guess is that you guys would recommend getting a spare tire with the same size (285/55/20). I'm wondering if that would be possible to mount under the car where the spare tire sits?

Thanks!

Measure the O.D.
A 33" tire fits with room to spare. Not sure about 35".
The 285 width is not an issue. It will be visible though, hanging down a little bit below the bumper.
Beats the crap out of me ,though, why someone would put 20" rims on a Land Cruiser........but to each his own I guess.

In theory, a 285/55R20 is 32.34” tall.

Considering that I have fit 285/75R16 (32.83”), 275/70R18 (33.16”), and 285/65R18 (32.59”) in the original spare location without issue, I suspect that a 285/55R20 should fit without issue.

You also might be able to get by with a 275/75R16 (32.24”) tire, on the existing 16” spare wheel, without having to spend money on another 20” wheel, although that might make the spare a temporary solution because the slightly off size might trigger VSC/ATRAC or behave a little differently with a taller sidewall.

it'll fit

I just bought a 2000 LX470 with bigger than OEM tires put on. They are hankook dynapro 285/R55/20s but the spare tire looks like the original at 265/75/16.

My guess is that you guys would recommend getting a spare tire with the same size (285/55/20). I'm wondering if that would be possible to mount under the car where the spare tire sits?

Thanks!
I'd recommend selling the set of hideous 20" wheels/tires on the rig and going back to the stock LC rim and tire size.

I'd recommend selling the set of hideous 20" wheels/tires on the rig and going back to the stock LC rim and tire size.
I run 20" wheels/tires and definitely not hideous. Here's my rig parked next to stock.

20210408_173549_HDR.jpg

Thanks guys. Appreciate your feedback.

I am new to all this. Taking my first offroading class tomorrow so I appreciate yall's feedback.

Curious why you guys think that the 20" Tundra TRD wheels are not as good for offroading? Coming at it from a place of curiousity.

Not gonna lie, I like how my LX looks with them

PXL_20210111_185401199.jpg

Thanks guys. Appreciate your feedback.

I am new to all this. Taking my first offroading class tomorrow so I appreciate yall's feedback.

Curious why you guys think that the 20" Tundra TRD wheels are not as good for offroading? Coming at it from a place of curiousity.

Not gonna lie, I like how my LX looks with them

View attachment 2726301
You will be fine for light off roading but the big boy league consists of small wheels big tires which allow you to air down without damaging wheel.

That makes sense. In that case, I probably shouldnt even upgrade my spare tire since long term I probably want to move back to 16 or 17 inch wheels right?

In the short term, would it be safe to use the smaller 265/75/16 spare in case of emergency (on or off road) to be able to get to a shop?

That makes sense. In that case, I probably shouldnt even upgrade my spare tire since long term I probably want to move back to 16 or 17 inch wheels right?

In the short term, would it be safe to use the smaller 265/75/16 spare in case of emergency (on or off road) to be able to get to a shop?
Sounds iffy for sure but for a last resort I would definitely try it and drive slow of course. What I do is carry a flat repair kit. Many to choose from.
Amazon product ASIN B08MKR17WC

Depends on how old your spare is too. Mine was the original, it was basically tash, I wouldn't even risk using it as it'll probably result in a blowout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom