Wildwood Brake proportioning valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, i just installed a 95 toyota truck booster and master. Works great other than the rear locking up, so i need a proportioning valve. Rear has drums still btw. Here is one from this website. Scroll down to the bottom and you will see it. However it has npt 1/8 threads, but mine are 10mm metric. They sell adapters, can someone tell me how many and which adapter fitting i need, thanks alot.

Hi All:

When I installed the Wilwood proportioning valve in the rear circuit of my FJ40's brake system I used the metric to NPT adapters that Summit Racing sells.

DSRTRDR (aka Claudia) had mentioned in her ROTW using these pieces - below is her PM response to my query for part numbers.

Regards,

Alan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DSRTRDR wrote:

Re: Brake Fittings.

Here goes: Basically, we went from metric to National Pipe Thread (which is what my Wilwood prop valve came with for 3/16 standard brake line thickness, but you want to connect to Toyota brake line metric) via AN, meaning each side of the prop valve has an adaptor NPT to AN, and the AN fittings adapt tp metric. Depending on your space, you might want to think about getting the NPT to AN fittings angled (like 90 degress); race car shops will have those or can source them for you. So from the Master cylinder [10mm - AN] connects to [AN - NPT] in the prop. valve, the out the prop. valve [NPT - AN[ connects to [AN - 10mm], anything in [] is an adapter fitting. Just need to make sure what the thread is on your prop. valve.

here are the numbers I used to purchase (the race shop I went to locally sourced one of them from a different supplier, but they were able to do so with these numbers):
you need two of the 1/8 NPT male to -3AN female adapters (EAR 916103 ERL stands for Earl's)
you need one of male 10mm to male -3AN
(EAR 592032 ERL) this goes into the master cylinder
you need one of 10mm female inverted flare to -3AN male
(EAR 989538 Earl's) this connects the prop. valve to the brake line.

We found them via Summit catalog website that connects to Earl's, but it took some doing since the pictures are sooo small (that's why we went to the local shop to confirm, otherwise you might be able to order on-line).

Cost is approximately $8 each. No flaring (we figured it needed to much training on our part), and we were able to keep the brake fluid mess to a minimum. We put teflon tape on the threads, pipe sealant works as well (our hardware store didn't have).

Hope this helps. You'll figue it out as soon as you see the fittings.

I used the NPT on the prop valve and the 10mmx1.0 on the other end. Why the adapter?:confused: The brake line will accept either fitting. BTW, do not run youur brake line ABOVE the master like I did, difficult to bleed. D'Oh
4WDB 001.jpg
4WDB 002.jpg

yes, you will still need a proportioning valve to tune the relative braking of front relative to rear - you want the front to lock before the rear (unless you want to drift your cruiser :lol:)

best to test on a dirt road, by the way

Sean,
I have done exactly what you are doing. I solved this with a Summit/Willwood adjustable proportioning valve and two Swagelok fittings I bought at a local Swagelok distributor in Pelham.

here's their contact info:
Alabama Fluid System Technologies Inc.
237 Cahaba Valley Parkway Phone: 205-988-4812
Pelham, AL 35124 Fax: 205-988-3852

You will need two "S-300-1-2". Call me and you can come see mine if you want. Here's some pictures. You can buy a propo-valve locally at Seco but expect to pay more.

Part Number Search Results
Part Number : SS-300-1-2
Description : SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Male Connector, 3/16 in. Tube OD x 1/8 in. Male NPT
Unit Price : Login to see pricing
Availability : Login to see availability
Quantity :

Stainless Steel Brakes A0707 - Stainless Steel Brakes Brake Proportioning Valves - summitracing.com

Summit SUM-G3905 - Summit Brake Proportioning Valves - summitracing.com
97 LX470 80 series a.jpg
S-300-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Downey carries Swagelok fittings,1/8 npt to 3/16 tube.

Brake Fittings

Yea Downey has them. They're a great company and I have spent lots of $$ with them...all positive.

BUT, these are 3-4X more expensive than buying locally from a stocking distributor, plus freight from the left coast and if all that weren't enough disincentive, we have to wait 5-7 working days for them to arrive!

Last edited:
Sean,
I have done exactly what you are doing. I solved this with a Summit/Willwood adjustable proportioning valve and two Swagelok fittings I bought at a local Swagelok distributor in Pelham.

here's their contact info:
Alabama Fluid System Technologies Inc.
237 Cahaba Valley Parkway Phone: 205-988-4812
Pelham, AL 35124 Fax: 205-988-3852

You will need two "S-300-1-2". Call me and you can come see mine if you want. Here's some pictures. You can buy a propo-valve locally at Seco but expect to pay more.

Part Number Search Results
Part Number : SS-300-1-2
Description : SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Male Connector, 3/16 in. Tube OD x 1/8 in. Male NPT
Unit Price : Login to see pricing
Availability : Login to see availability
Quantity :

Stainless Steel Brakes A0707 - Stainless Steel Brakes Brake Proportioning Valves - summitracing.com

Summit SUM-G3905 - Summit Brake Proportioning Valves - summitracing.com

Thanks David i ordered the wildwood proportiong valve from manafre last night and it will be here thursday, but wouldn't the one manafre sells be a 10mm fitting designed for cruisers or am i just asking for too much?:grinpimp: Either way i can go buy the fittings locally, thanks man.

Thanks David i ordered the wildwood proportiong valve from manafre last night and it will be here thursday, but wouldn't the one manafre sells be a 10mm fitting designed for cruisers or am i just asking for too much?:grinpimp: Either way i can go buy the fittings locally, thanks man.

it's an American company :doh: apparently, yes, you are asking too much :flipoff2:

if you go to their site and try to find the vehicle land cruiser, you get this:

"Thank you for your interest in Wilwood Disc Brakes.

We apologize for not having a Bolt-On Brake Kit listed for your vehicle. For the most up to date information on our products please call our Sales department Monday-Friday from 7:30am-4:30pm. pst. @ 805-388-1188." :lol:

good luck with the install :cheers:

You can also order Swagelok fittings at the Swagelok website and they pass the order on to the closest distributor. I've been ordering that way for a number of years. In my case, living in Tucson, AZ my order goes through Arizona Valve and Fitting in Tempe, AZ. If you go to their website you can find what fittings and material they have. I just ordered 3/8"OD tube by #6 JIC to convert the reservoir low pressure return on my saginaw PS pump to #6 JIC because I'm changing the low pressure line to SS braided hose and #6 JIC fittings from the steering box to the cooler and back to the reservoir.

Swagelok Product page

Why do people make this more difficult than it has to be? The standard 3/16 nuts cost you a couple quarters at NAPA, and they'll work just fine on the stock hard line. I do recommend a couple practice flares before doing the real one, especially since the stock lines are so hard, but this isn't rocket science here.

In my personal experience, it could not get any easier, simpler or less expensive than two three dollar Swaglok fittings available in Anytown, USA.

I paid $100 for a flaring tool at Napa and it was a piece of poo & it couldn't even hold the tubing without sliping for the first of the two flares. Maybe I got a piece of junk or I'm just too stupid to us it correctly. These fittings are a one banana job and work.

There's nothing difficult about it.

Why do people make this more difficult than it has to be? The standard 3/16 nuts cost you a couple quarters at NAPA, and they'll work just fine on the stock hard line. I do recommend a couple practice flares before doing the real one, especially since the stock lines are so hard, but this isn't rocket science here.

I agree 100%. But I did replace all my brake lines, so I have no experience trying to flare any of the OEM stuff.

In my personal experience, it could not get any easier, simpler or less expensive than two three dollar Swaglok fittings available in Anytown, USA.

I paid $100 for a flaring tool at Napa and it was a piece of poo & it couldn't even hold the tubing without sliping for the first of the two flares. Maybe I got a piece of junk or I'm just too stupid to us it correctly. These fittings are a one banana job and work.

There's nothing difficult about it.

My double flare was $28 from OTC and has not been a problem. There is a trick to the sequence of tightening the clamp.

Ed

...My double flare was $28 from OTC and has not been a problem. There is a trick to the sequence of tightening the clamp.

Ed

Got a link or contact info for them? What/who is "OTC"? I'd gladly spend $28 for one that works.

Got a link or contact info for them? What/who is "OTC"? I'd gladly spend $28 for one that works.

Owatonna Tool Corporation, up by Poser. If I can do it, you can:beer:
Bought it at a CarQuest store.

WHOOPS! Not OTC, but another one made in USA, and it was only $26.xx
The trick is to tighten the wingnut closest to the tubing first. Never had one slip.

GL

Ed
flaringtool 001.jpg
flaringtool 002.jpg

Swagelocks make double flaring tools a thing of the past. Even with a dbl. flaring kit, you still need the skill, they're not exactly a no-brainer.
The reason we no longer have the 10mm swagelocks is that Swagelock made them special order only, crazy big price, and a zillion year lead time. Sorry guys!!!

Swagelocks make double flaring tools a thing of the past. Even with a dbl. flaring kit, you still need the skill, they're not exactly a no-brainer.
The reason we no longer have the 10mm swagelocks is that Swagelock made them special order only, crazy big price, and a zillion year lead time. Sorry guys!!!

10mm x 1/8npt SS is a stock fitting
Part Number : SS-10M0-1-2
Description : SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Male Connector, 10 mm Tube OD x 1/8 in. Male NPT
Unit Price : 7.58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom