THREAD CLOSED _ MODS PLEASE DELETE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Welcome to my Land Cruiser 100 Series VX Limited build thread.

Recently I made the decision to sell my old faithful - my 1997 Toyota Surf KZN185. It was a truck that did pretty much everything I ever needed. It got me to most fishing and hunting spots, and was very reliable over the time I had it. However, after some recent trips with a few more people in the truck, I started to realise how small it really was. Also, when loaded up, it definitely felt like it was struggling. I needed more room, and more grunt.

So, I’ve bought a “Hundy”. Supposedly the best truck ever built. I picked it up a couple of days ago from Nelson, from an elderly couple who have had it from new. To give you an idea of the truck:

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series VX Limited (HDJ100R)
  • Gun metal grey
  • 159,000kms since new
  • 1HD-FTE engine
  • New Zealand new (not imported)
  • Limited model, so heated seats, leather interior, memory seats etc
  • Fastidiously maintained with receipts throughout it’s life

The plan is similar to my last truck: to build it into a comfortable daily driver, but also a weekend adventure wagon. We do a lot of South Island road trips, so I was looking for a cushy, smooth open-road driver, which is exactly what the 100 Series is.

The planned mods list is as follows:

• 2" suspension lift
  • Maxxis AT980 285/75r16
  • 16" black steel rims 0 offset
  • MCC Winch bar
  • Snorkel
  • Roof cage
  • Light bar (42" flood beam)
  • Spotties (LED, spot beam)
  • GPS tracker
  • Alarm/immobiliser
  • Auberins EGT gauge
  • RAM mount for iPad
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Drawer/storage system
  • LED interior lights
  • Straight piped exhaust

DSC00132.JPG

747205227.jpg

747213864.jpg

747204543.jpg

DSC00148.JPG

RIMS AND TIRES FITTED!

After driving the truck around for a few days to get a feel for it, I decided to start the modifications.

The first thing on my list was to get the new tires and rims put on. As is often the way, spare cash flow is a bit tight, so I am not lifting the truck right away. So, having ordered a set of 285/75r16's I shopped around for advice on the "best" offset to run. I decided to go with 0p.

A lot of my touring is done on gravel/shingle roads, hard rocky riverbeds and dirt - not so much mud (although I will encounter some!). With this in mind I decided I should go for an All Terrain, in order to keep the Cruiser nice to drive with decent road manners for everyday use. I settles on five new Maxxis AT980's and I love them so far!

After I fitted them I noticed a bit of rubbing and also noticed the 20 year old suspension has sagged a bit, causing the truck to sit pretty low. Hoping to wind up the factory torsion's a bit until I can lift her properly with new suspension.

Photos coming soon

Can't wait to watch this build. My dream rig!

WINCH BAR ON, SNORKEL FITTED, FACTORY TORSIONS WOUND UP!

Some great progress recently! I have fitted my MCC front winch bar, along with a snorkel.

We have deep rivers here in New Zealand, and with very unpredictable weather they are prone to rising rapidly, so a snorkel was a must.

As mentioned in my previous update, the tires rubbed a wee bit on full lock, so I decided to wind up the torsion bars. Also, as it is currently sitting on factory suspension, it's now 20 years old and sagged a lot most likely - so I am considering lifting it sooner rather than later.

What are peoples opinions on the following suspension brands:

- Old Man Emu
- EFS
- Dobinson

So far I am really loving the Cruiser. Whilst it is more sluggish off the mark than my old KZN185 4Runner (1KZTE Intercooled), it's low-end power/torque is really there which I love, in addition to the following:

- Cruise control is amazing (how have I never had this before!)
- The roominess of the cabin (muuuuch better than my old truck)
- The great centre console storage
- The flip down tailgate
- Plus much more!

post image link

ROOF CAGE AND TIDYING TIME!

Today was a day to tidy a few things up: I cleaned and vacuumed fastidiously, and gave the outside a decent wash too. Then it was onto the next thing.

I found a second hand roof cage (full length) for relatively cheap, so I bit the bullet and bought it. Considering that I have a sunroof, I was initially wanting a 3/4 length cage, but with $500+ difference between new and used, this will do me in the meantime. It seems nice and sturdy and in decent condition, and it will be a great platform for mounting various things: awning, hi-lift jack, jerry cans perhaps, lightbar, etc etc.

Heading on a trip soon....so stay posted!

35560597_10213659698740280_8956522497528823808_n.jpg

35682202_10213659698580276_8777600598133440512_n.jpg

Photo 17-05-18, 10 01 52 AM.jpg

Photo 18-05-18, 9 53 09 AM.jpg

Hey, really nice rig. What kind of bracket is that for the ipad? Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom