Wilderness training this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
The place below is holding a two day intensive wilderness and first aid safety course this weekend in Cedar Crest. I'm signing up 'cause I need some serious training when I'm out in the boonies! I'm wowfully inadequate on my CPR training and don't think I'd actually know how to use all the first aid stuff I have in my rigs in an emergency.

CURRICULUM:
This is a 2-day intensive training from Outside Medicine. Appropriate for all levels of experience (we find that everyone from ER doctors to day-hikers finds this course worthwhile). A majority of course time will be spent in hands-on learning through labs and simulations.

SYLLABUS: below

(This is the 3-day syllabus. The 2-day version is an "intensive" & is modified slightly but covers the same topics).
Outside Medicine™ Standard Wilderness First Aid Syllabus

(3 days, 24 hrs)

Day 1 - 8 hours

Course logistics

Introduction to the Patient Assessment System
Medical Legal considerations
Primary Assessment
Basic Life Support (BLS)
BLS Simulation Lab
Shock
Head injury
Bleeding control
CPR certification

Day 2 - 8 hours

Secondary Assessment
Spine management
Trauma simulations
Sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations
Splinting lab
Wound cleaning lab
Hypothermia and cold injuries
Lightning
SOAP Note documentation

Day 3 - 8 hours

Bites and stings
Allergies and anaphylaxis
Epinephrine auto-injector
Environmental simulations
Drowning
Heat illness
Dive injuries & altitude illness
Evacuation plans and considerations
Medical problems
Medical simulations

RECERTIFICATION INFORMATION:

This course may be used to recertify WFR or WEMT. Your WFR/WEMT must be current or in the grace period from an approved provider. There is an additional requirement of passing an online Recertification Test. Testing fee of $25 may be paid during the course by cash or credit card. Click here for a list of currently approved providers for recertification through Outside Medicine.

How was it?

It was quite good, but was like drinking from a fire hose. Hopefully, I'll retain the basics and be useful when needed. There were lots of patients/rescuers role playing that took place that allowed us to practice what we learned. There were 14 people, few of them from the forest service, some were retired and couple like me, just wanted to know what to do while out in the boonies.

The presenter/owner of Outdoor Medicine, Patrick Noble says he'll do a class for a small group, just send him an email through his website listed above. He lives in SF so not too far away. We got certs for CPR and Wilderness first aid good for three years.

1664314197107.png
1664314214262.png
1664314238046.png

Next time you see this advertised, let me know please. There was one at UNM this weekend as well, but it was full, and I had made other commitments when I saw your post. Thanks
I'd suggest contacting Patrick through FB or his website in the link that way you don't miss it. That way you can get on his list. He says he does the one in Cedar Crest same time annually. Let me have a link to the UNM class please, was curious about their curiculum.

I'd suggest contacting Patrick through FB or his website in the link that way you don't miss it. That way you can get on his list. He says he does the one in Cedar Crest same time annually. Let me have a link to the UNM class please, was curious about their curiculum.
They took the class down now that it is passed. But I found some info here: International Mountain Medicine Center | School of Medicine - https://hsc.unm.edu/medicine/departments/emergency-medicine/programs/prehospital-care/immc/

Thanks for the link, Ron. I'm going to be taking their WFA course next year because i really need repetition in order for this stuff to sink in. @evanz80 who teaches your WFA or WFR courses for Cibola SAR?

I learned couple of things about myself last weekend. I don't like role playing and I am not comfortable getting into another person's personal space, especially of the opposite sex. I realize I need to get over this if I want to be an effective WFA person, probably why I didn't get into medicine ;) If someone is laying there incapacitated, I'm sure I'd feel differently.

Here's the course that I'm after through UNM:

Foundational & Community Courses​

Wilderness First Aid
A quick and essential introduction to the basics of medical care for the ill and injured in the backcountry, our Wilderness First Aid course covers the most basic knowledge to provide first aid far from a city center. This 16-hour course is completed partially online with one, full-day field session. Alternatively, we also offer a 100% online course with self-paced and live video sessions.
Who is this course for?
Whether you lead groups on wilderness outings or are an avid weekend warrior, adding a basic level of medical training to your preparedness will help you manage the first moments, minutes and hours of an emergency in the backcountry. We are a group of mountain rescue paramedics and physicians, and we know that bystanders and group leaders often have the opportunity to act early and effectively to prevent emergencies from spiraling out of control.
What will I learn?
This is our most basic mountain medicine course that we teach. We cover the essentials of life saving techniques to help correct problems with a patients airway, breathing, and circulation. We address commonly encountered illnesses and injuries in the backcountry, like hypothermia, bites and stings, injuries to bones and joints, and spinal/head injuries.
How is this course taught?
This is an online and practical hybrid course or a purely online course with live video sessions
  • 2-year certification
  • Half online/half in person course is Approved by the American Camp Association
  • No pre-requisites required
  • Course cost: $250 per person
When is this course offered?
We run Wilderness First Aid courses throughout the calendar year. Email us to enquire.
Have a group that needs WFA training? We commonly teach WFA courses on contract with organizations hoping to train personnel in Wilderness First Aid. These groups are commonly SAR teams, summer camps, and field researchers. We can schedule these courses based on your availability. Email us to schedule a WFA for your organization.

Ali - you asked about who teaches WFA or WFR courses for search and rescue. In my experience, the courses have been limited to only search and rescue personnel, but if I hear of any for the general population, I will post the info here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom