Wilderness Full Length Roof Rack?? Anyone got one??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

Anyone running the Garvin Industries "Wilderness" (Sport or Offroad Series) full length roof rack?

I see that 4x4 Connection is having a great deal on them and i was thinking of picking one up for my upcoming Baja trip! Any thoughts?

Here is a link to the racks and the sale info:

http://www.4by4connection.com/garroofrac1.html

Thanks
Kevin

I think Pimp has one. You should definitely buy one from Asti.

Dale Sr said:
I think Pimp has one. You should definitely buy one from Asti.

Thanks, Stupid question, but who is Asti?

I thought Asti sold LC connection now 4x4connection? James Asti owned maybe still does own 4x4connection. He had a nice silver 60 in the late 90s.

I always wanted the Garvin for my Jeep... looked like quality stuff.

I'd like to know too. I had the Garvin/Wilderness rack on the 79 FJ40 that I had, which it seemed pretty stout. But I would still prefer the ARB 80 rack, I just have not convinced myself it's worth $300 more?

LukeO said:
I'd like to know too. I had the Garvin/Wilderness rack on the 79 FJ40 that I had, which it seemed pretty stout. But I would still prefer the ARB 80 rack, I just have not convinced myself it's worth $300 more?

$300?

Arb with rain gutter mounting = $1242
Wilderness Full Length SPORT rack = $490
Wilderness Full Length OFF ROAD rack = $646

The big + for the wilderness racks are they are UPS shipping saving big time on shipping costs! The ARB's are not and need to be shipped by truck.

I am leaning heavily towards the Wilderness rack as it will only be used on long trips and wont be on the rig unless i am going on one.

Just curious about the fitment and quality. Sounds like a few of you like the quality, thats good! :D

Anyone else?

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:
Just curious about the fitment and quality. Sounds like a few of you like the quality, thats good! :D

I had one on another kind of off road vehicle (that starts with a J) and was very pleased with the strength, cargo capacity and features. However, in a wet climate (not a problem in your case) all the fasteners and any scratches in the paint will rust quickly, which is just a cosmetic concern.

Also, they are waaay heavy - if you carry stuff in Baja, be sure it is lightweight camping gear, luggage, coolers or food. Don't plan on overburdening the roof with 20 gallons of extra gas and two spare tires, or the handling will be severely affected. Because of the bulk and weight, you will need an adult friend to help you mount and dismount the rack, unless you can rig up a pulley system.

The Hi Lift and shovel brackets work fine, and keep the tools immediately at hand, though you need a 3/4 inch wrench to dismount them.

For ocassional use, I recommend the rack. I would not do so if you planned on keeping it mounted year round on a daily driver.

John Davies

ed97fzj80 said:
Specter carries them as well, and they are close enough that you could drive there if you wanted to.

Yeah, i noticed that they only have the small version though, not the full length, i need the full length one for sure!

Thanks

John E Davies said:
For ocassional use, I recommend the rack. I would not do so if you planned on keeping it mounted year round on a daily driver.

Thanks John!

Yes, this will only be for ocassional use and be removed when not in use!

Thanks

ginericfj80 said:
I thought Asti sold LC connection now 4x4connection? James Asti owned maybe still does own 4x4connection. He had a nice silver 60 in the late 90s.

I believe James still ownes the company. James Asti is an awesome person and the growth of his company is proof! :thumbsup:

Uncle Ben said:
I believe James still ownes the company. James Asti is an awesome person and the growth of his company is proof! :thumbsup:

Great! I have dealt with Them (4x4 Connection) in the past quite a bit for lighting and such for my jeeps and have always been pleased! Now that i know he is a trusted member of our community, i will be going there even more!

Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom