Wilbur - build of the snorting HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the project will never end, time consuming ideas keep coming to me. The list right now is like this.
- Install a water tank (footwell 11 gallon) behind front seats.
- Make a cargo net to hang up high in the back for chairs and roll-up table storage. I put the steel mounts in already - sticks out of the headliner.
- Finish Tuffy center consol to hold my tablet for maps - Tallon brand. USB and cigarette lighter socket already in.
- Another swing away for the rear bumper to mount diesel can, high lift, antenna. Another optional mount to switch out on that arm to hold bikes.
- Build out the rear with a cabinet/drawers (as light as possible), electrical panel for power for the fridge, amp, inverted 110 power, compressor. Design it to have a deck above the fridge, sleep on the deck - no more tent until someday I cut the roof out for a quick set-up tent. I mounted a 2500 watt inverter inside the left front fender while I had it off. Seems fairly protected there, gets cooling air, and very out of the way/space saving. Need to wire it to a relay and get outlets installed up front and in back.
- Remove the rear side glass and make aluminum doors to replace them. Easy access to gear. Use the glass as a pattern for the panel and curve it a little. Cut out the center part to make the door from.
- Install a Toybox for double low gearing.

These projects should keep me busy for a few years, and give me time to dream up new ideas...

Looks really great. How many coats of single stage did you shoot?

2 coats. It laid on thick though. Wish I could have put more, but just the 1.25 gal of ppg was over $700.

Nice rig with a different approach!
What else did you do to the engine? Exhaust? IC? Gauges to monitor?

I put in a 2.75 exhaust with an un-baffled muffler. With 16lbs of boost, I haven't worried too much about gauges but would like to put some in the upper console. I put in a digital temp gauge/audible alarm (24v Engine Watchdog off ebay) that connects externally on the head. I am so happy with the power right now and don't have plans to pull much weight that I think I will stop here.

IMG_6467.JPG

IMG_6466.JPG

IMG_6468.JPG

Recently made a dual purpose swing-away. One bolt on part holds 2 bikes upright with the front wheels off. The other holds diesel, water, and high-lift jack. Added a petcock on the water jug for quick pour.

IMG_6465.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

IMG_6456.JPG

Made a storage cabinet/sleeping deck for the back. As it sits, it still has the rear seats in. Those come out and the fridge sits behind the passenger seat, a 11 gallon water saddle tank goes in, a frame for the deck and wah lah, a sleeping deck over the fridge! Inverter, sub, amp, 24v to 12v converter, 12v battery charger, and all wiring is on the sides. Drawers slide on teflon strips. made of baltic birch 1/2". Stainless handles off ebay for $16 from a commercial glass door. Not all switches/breakers are used, but have ones for LED lights, inverter, charge ports, fridge, testing of voltage for 24v bank and 12v bank. Still working on a complete and legible wiring diagram.

It is a cheap one off ebay. Search under marine rocker breaker switches. I found that the LED lights in the switch don't handle 24v very long, if you use it that way. Some come with the common ground wired up already. I used relays and solenoids for heavier loads like the inverter.

So, I read that my stock pistons would be worn out by 250,000 miles and I could wreck the motor if a ring broke. Runs and sounds fine, but... I ended up tearing it down while in the truck to put Alfin pistons (they have steel inserts to reduce wear) in because the ringland wear was as it turned out, huge. While there, sent out the turbo for rebuild, the head for valve work (minimal) and check the injectors. Only issues in the whole thing was valve seals. Communication with the machine shop was I guess bad, where I waited for them to tell me if they needed any parts for my big order from Engine Australia while another guy in the shop just fit some wrong valve seals. When I got the head gasket set in, it had much better seals like the original. Running it with the wrong seals made it use a whole lot of oil, even leaking out of the muffler seems. I tore it down again and replaced the seals myself, and everything was good. Crazy to do all that work and it still runs the same. I did add in a pyro gauge in the exhaust manifold so now I no longer pull hills like I did before (knowledge can increase your fear factor). Will need to set up an intercooler soon.

Last edited:
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG

The seal on the left is correct

IMG_0647.JPG

Last edited:
I also decided to take some weight off the front and remove the winch to make it optional. Also changed from steel to aluminum. The winch now can go front or rear. Mostly relied on a spool gun for my MIG but I used a TIG a few times for the structure ( i learned that TIG is like playing an organ, 2 keyboards up top, and your feet working below. I suck) I also went with a little bit wider bumper from my old steel one to give more protection. I like the way the front end rebounds on rough roads now that it is lighter. I only plug in the winch now if I go on harder trails. (Sorry jeepers, the rest of the time it will be just strap and pull.)
IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom