Wifi Question

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by gorister, Aug 15, 2005.

1. gorister

gorister

Currently I have 802.11b running in my house. I have 3 meg cable service. Would upgrading to 802.11g make any difference in speed? Thanks in advance.

2. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    UMM, What are you talking about? Whats a WIFI?

3. gorister

gorister

Puptlam....maybe at some point you should just take a stroll around Best Buy. Take a look around. There have been some cool advances lately. For instance...there are now computers that are portable and dont require their own air conditioning unti :rolleyes:

Just kidding...wireless networking is often called WiFi.

4. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    I am not a stupid man, untill we talk computers. Mine is blue.

5. gorister

gorister

WIFI is about as technical as a term as I can get with computers.

Truth be told...I dont even have wireless...I just learned the term WIFI and wanted to sound fun and intelligent.

With all seriousness I was just curious if the "g" is a lot faster than the "b"

For work I generally download a lot of por....errr....instructional videos so I was just curious if upgrading would make it any faster.

6. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

802.11b is 11mbps

Until you get very low signal quality, you aren't losing anything.

7. mabrodis

mabrodis

As CruisinGA said you probably aren't missing anything. 802.11b tops out at 11Mpbs (mega bits per second), if your internet connection is 3 Mpbs then you are probably fine. The catch there is the wireless numbers are a bit iffy, they vary with distance, signal strength, interference with your phones, etc...to where it'll work, and work fine, but you might not be getting anywhere near 11Mbps from it...

The best way to check is to plug a computer into a router directly, so on a 10/100 wired ethernet connection, then go to some website and download a large file, see the continous speed and more importantly how fast it finishes, then using WiFi, go to the same site and do the same file, see how fast you get it. You want to download a pretty good, errr, long instructional film to get a real feel for speed though, short downloads can be more bursty, so download something big to really test it.

Good Luck...

8. JimmyK

JimmyK

I was unfortunately a Programmer and still am a HUGE IT geek, so it takes an extraordinary effort for me not to geek out on such questions and leave a long discertation.

1 Megabyte = 1024K
    1 Megabit = 128k

now your 802.11B as stated by Mark, is 11 megabits which translates to about 1.3 megabytes a second, and in real world performance on a pretty damn good connection to your wireless router you wont see more then 500K transfer.

Now its important to ascertain if your high speed internet connection is 3 megabits or 3 megabytes, but for real world browsing and audio/video streaming 400K a second is MOOORE then enough.

I would only upgrade to G if I was transferring files or streaming movies from another local computer on my network, ie my desktop to my laptops.

G will not give you more range just bandwidth and throughput.

Furthermore! I would NOT spend any money on wireless technologies right now unless there is a serious problem and G is only a $30 upgrade investment, wimax and other wireless technologies are right around the corner another few quarters. Im talking about gigabytes worth of throughput and miles worth of range...

9. gorister

gorister

Thanks for the info Jimmy.

I had no idea there was a difference in megabit and megabyte. Damn, no i wish i would have beat on puptlam for not knowing what wifi is.

I have Charter Cable and what they call their 3 meg service. I dont know if it is megabit or megabyte. How can I figure that out? It is suppose to be the fastest they have.

10. mabrodis

mabrodis

LOL!

A single item of value that can be a zero or a one is called a bit. You put 8 together and you get a byte. If you only have 4 instead of 8, guess what you have? That's right a nibble (no I'm not kidding), a nibble is half a byte. Cute huh... :D

Your service will be 3 megabit, which is plenty fast and should do you just fine...I agree that the official desination of megabit/megabyte is 128/1024, etc...but any speed test that shows you have 3000 kpbs (kilo bits per second) will call it 3 megabit.

Good Luck..

11. Outback

Outback

Your wireless network IN your house is "b" now and upgrading to "g" will only increase network speed BETWEEN computers on the network IN your house.

"802.11b" and "802.11g" network hardware has nothing to do with your ISPs upload/download speed, only the speed within the network on the home-side of the cable modem is affected by b/g hardware.

If you transfer files between computers IN your house often, and they are large files, then "g" may be for you. Otherwise, keep your "b" hardware and spend the extra money on your 'Cruiser.

Jody.

12. mabrodis

mabrodis

Incorrect...send it to me.. :D

13. gorister

gorister

I realize that the wifi doesnt affect your internet speed but I was just thinking that the "g" might make it faster when I download things from the net. I didnt realize it only affects the speed between your home computers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.