Wife's 80 needs new alloy wheels, what's compatible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
My wife's OEM alloys have begun to corrode badly. No steel wheels for her, and refinishing the stock ones sounds too expensive and inconvenient. She wants shiny new wheels. Tire Rack only lists one option, cheaper than refinishing the OEMs. I see the 40th wheels on eBay list quite a few Toyotas they're guaranteed to fit - maybe. What am I looking for to fit her truck? What other vehicles can I type in at Tire Rack to see more options that'll fit correctly?

Scott

OEM rims are 16 x 8 alloys with 4.5" backspacing with 6 bolts on 5.5" pattern. All other toyota trucks with 6 bolt pattern will fit but no other Toyota truck has 8" wide oem alloy rims in 16" AFAIK. For up to 265/65/16s tire size you can use 16 x7 alloys (or you can exceed the tire manufacturer's recommendation on bigger tires as some do). That would open up the tundra and 4runner rims but you would need to confirm the backspacing. Another option would be 17" tundra rims if you are ready for new rubber. I believe that 4" or more of backspacing would work fine. You will want to pay attention to getting a set with the centrecaps as they are farily pricey and yours likely won't fit other rims. You can also use Chev 6 bolt rims if you find something you like, but Toyota centrecaps will not fit.

Toyota alloys are forged and have reinforcements at the lug holes. Not all aftermarkets are as well made.

Thanks, I put new Mich SUV tires on last fall, sounds like my options are fairly limited. The Tire Rack set isn't bad.

You aren't limited at all. There are tons of 16x8s in the aftermarket world that will fit. Because Toyota, Isuzu, GMC, Nissan and Chevy share the same 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern there are lots of options. You cannot fit the 98+ GMC/Chevy rims or the aftermarkets made for them as they have too small of a hub hole. Look in the magazines almost anything you see is available in a 16x8.

depending on condition, I will take the 80 wheels off your hands. Seriously

Check out the new American Racing teflon wheels. not too bad, not too much bling.

:bounce: :cheers: Hay Scott m2c here are my rims I just put on last week.. PS may be to flashy for most , but us Canadians like shiny things... Les schwab is the place to go and check them out for prices and if they well work...

What about 07 tundra rims?

the earlier Tundra etc wheels do indeed have a 4.5" BS and fit fine.

Watch out for the center hole size bizness with hubcentricity etc. May be an issue with aftermarket.

Refinishing the OEM ones is not that difficult if a bit of work. You could sell that to your wife as the opportunity for her to get the color she really wants (pink etc? :D)

The hard part is getting center caps that fit over the big 80 hubs. I have a set of '05 Tundra alloys for Tonya's winter tires but haven't mounted the new tires or trial fit the rims yet. I'm hoping over the summer I can fabricate and paint some type of attachment to them to make them fit. I don't like the look of the exposed axle tips. Most of the wheel makers won't make a center cap setup that will fit the 80, so you should be asking who on here has alloys with the center cap that fits as most people don't care about the center - especially after finding no wheels that fit the cap on 80s. Dunno if it matters but if I know your wifey it will matter that a hunk of black steel is sticking out uncovered on otherwise nice looking new wheels.

DougM

After deciding I was going to move up to 35's, I decided I wanted different wheels. I would of liked to have the factory alloys but my 80 had some chrome AM rims that I wanted to change. So I checked out my aftermarket wheel choices. After much research, I came to the following conclusions and personal preferences:

1) I want to fill up the fenderwells (come out to the flare) without having to use spacers (personal preference - I know they work fine).
2) I want something with the factory 4.5 backspacing so again I can avoid spacers.
3) I wanted an appropriate width wheel for the size tire I was running. Tires are manufactured and designed to fit a range of wheel widths. Again, you can squeeze down a 35 or 37 on a 7 inch rim and many do. IMHO I want to fit tire manufacturer specs. (I worked for Goodyear back in the day and am opinionated) So...I wanted an 8 or 9 inch wide wheel.
4) There isnt jack on the market for Landcruisers unless you buy some Hotchkiss (?) wheels for big $$$. (They are sweet, though!)
5) The main challenge on fitment is a "straight-through" 108mm bore going all the way through the wheel front to back. I found many wheels labeled as a 108 bore but really only has a 108 mm lip that was machined in only about 1/4 of an inch which fits all the many other make/model rigs out there that are hubless (Tacoma, older 4wd Toya, etc) and dont have that monster hub sticking out several inches! The 108 bore on those wheels narrow down in many cases to a small 92mm ish size front side bore that a wheel cap can snap into.
6) I needed a wheel that wasnt going to cost so much that I would not want to scratch/gouge it up on the rocks w/o wincing.
7) Wanted a center cap to cover up the hub and make it look "finished".

My wheel purchase was going to be determined on the above criteria plus the fact that I was able to get my hands on a set of 35" BFG's in the 17" size.

The wheel I chose wasnt mainly based off how I liked the "look" of the wheel actually but rather that I was able to find my criteria: A 17 wheel with a 9 inch width, it had a back space of 4.5 inches, and a 6x5.5 lug pattern. Once I researched all the wheels that had these dimensions I went shopping and ran across a smoking deal on some American Eagle wheels. Again it had a 108 bore that didnt go all the way through. I was able to obtain one wheel and take it to a machine shop that specialized in wheel boring. I verified with them that the design was appropriate to bore all the way through without any structural issues. Once I got the green light from the machinist, I bought 4 and had them bored at the 108mm spec all the way through for about $40 a piece. About the same price as spacers(?). They snugly slide over the hub just right.

I bought 4 of the standard large chrome center caps that push through from the back (plentiful and available from any wheel distributor). These caps fit nice and snug in the 108 bore and dont move or rattle. The tire wheel combo ride great and have zero vibration. :)

I see this question come up often ~ SO....dont limit yourself. Do some research and explore this option. You will come out with an unique wheel you are happy with.

These rims also nice and rare in the U.S - 6x139.7 P.C.D. (6x5.5)

Rare Bradley 9 JDM Truck Rims 16x8" Wheels multipiece
Brad_01.jpg
Brad_02.jpg

Damn, those are nice. You don't see many 2 or 3 piece truck wheels. Good style for the 80 as well, I bet they would look really good.

Who the heck dredged this nugget up? I sanded, primed & painted the painted areas, cleaned up the corrosion nicely. After letting it dry very well, I lightly sanded the clear and color paint, and gave it a nice clear-coat. They still looked great when I sold it a little over a year ago:
100_3813.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom