(wife with caveman tone) Baby seat no safe in Flintstone vehicle! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The whole Knee in seat, back pressed to ceiling, pop a hernia while yanking belt thing is eliminated with the mighty-tite. Dragged two kids all over the NE and VA in mid 90's trucks with those things holding the baby seat bases down. When you shake the base to see if it's tight, the whole truck rocks. They turn your seat belts into ratcheting cargo straps.

Throw a couple of these guys at it and it'll become part of the vehicle.
images

I have this universal LATCH plate fitted in my '72 02 bmw. I ran bolts thru the metal back and secured with a metal plate on opposite side- this allows the LATCH to successfully secure it's self. The kiddo seat attachments attached just like a modern system between seat back and bottom cushion.

images

I'm assuming you may be able to render a similar config by bolting to the back of the seat.

Stop at your local fire department and ask for assistance to install the seat. They can show you how and even do it for you.
I concur. I also had a wife that believed the 80 was a death trap. Luckily, my local fire department had a car seat install program and I made her go (I drove the 80 and she brought my 2000 V70R, which didn't have anchors either) with me so the "professionals" could tell her it was in the truck and secure. I did have a slight backpedal when the dude looked inside and made a comment about not having the anchor points but he then proceeded to install tight as anything.
Get you one of these. It takes all the play out of the seat belt when it passes through the base of the baby seat.
They are awsome! It makes the seat one with the truck.
Amazon product ASIN B0049C3WTQ
They are available for a lot less than that price if you look around.

I did not know about these or would have purchased. What my wife failed to realize is I would frequently pull the car seat (out of either vehicle) to lay the seats down and it never occurred to her that I was the one putting the seat back in and not the FD guy:rofl: .

I also had a wife that believed the 80 was a death trap. Luckily, my local fire department had a car seat install program
Yup- similar story here- one of mine is still in fwd facing and we use the ol pull the belt out all the way to lock the ratchet and then play a game of hop in kidseat while pulling out any slack to get it super taught (FD gave me thumbs up)- almost as tight as the std LATCh system is in my merc...

I went through this as well. And it wont change much for a while. My wife was po'd about the seat belts. Po'd about the lap belts. Po'd about the lack of latches. Po'd about lack of overall safety etc. It was difficult at times. However, they are valid concerns. We all survived it.

BTW, the baby is now 18 and driving the Land Cruisers. One of the only kids in his class that knows what a clutch is. In fact, the principal at high school gave him a Land Cruiser ONLY parking spot up front....no more bitching from Momma...:cool:

Me: '92 FJ80

1. Wife wants me to sell my LC :(
2. Says it's not safe with the way the baby seats have to strap in instead of clipping in.
3. I suck at welding, and my wife knows this, soooo out of the question.

Will the rear seats of a newer FJ (with baby seat clips) fit into my '92?
Please have your wife review Car Seats For The Littles web page or feel free to join and ask for advice on their Facebook group. It is filled with volunteer CPSTs. It clearly instructs on how to use the T clip for non retracting / locking seat belts, let alone seat belts that DO retract.

There is nothing unsafe about this when properly installed. She just doesn't know how to properly install them. My guess is she also isn't aware of the weight limits on quick connects / LATCH system. Most aren't, and I frequently see them incorrectly used.

Do not sell your vehicle for the 3 - 4 years children need to be rear facing. Learn how to properly install, instead.

Also if she pitches a fit tell her it's okay to be wrong because it means her child will receive an even safer setup once everyone is fully knowledgeable. If she stomps at that you can let her know I'm A.) A woman B.) Used to install car seats and C.) An absolute neurotic freak about safety in moving vehicles.

Also don't go blindly trusting the fire department to install. Most of them don't know, either.

Also also the LATCH system in vehicle has its own weight limit separate from the car seat manufacturer's LATCH system weight limit and varies vehicle to vehicle. Both these and child's changing weight need to be included in calculations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom