Wife wanted a Jeep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Newbie here but have bought and restored Mopars all my life. Here's how the '77 fj40 came about. In an effort to get my wife interested, I asked her if she could pick something old to restore and drive, what would she want? She said an old Jeep! Well, at least it's a Mopar I thought. An old CJ won't set me back too bad. So... I did an Internet search and found a few. This is where it gets interesting! After showing her pics, she said "No! Not that kind of jeep!... " What? What other kind is there? I told her that's all there is, but she still disagreed. It's just "prettier" than that. Yes I told her. That's because your thinking about a restored one. As usual, she was confused and I kinda put it in the back of my mind as an idea that was unlikely to come to fruition. I mean she didn't even know what she was talking about. A week later she sends me a text with some pictures. I should have known. She's a princess and has expensive tastes. (Good tastes but expensive none the less). It was a seafoam green fj40. Oh! You mean that kind of "jeep"! ? Told her that was a Toyota. Well get me one of those, she says... (I always liked old cruisers ;) but they were expensive. Fast forward a week. Telling a friend the story and laughing about it, he says "well I know where one is. I think you could buy it". Three days later I own a tan (re-painted reddish) '77 cruiser. Mostly original. 78,000 miles. Usual rust. Solid frame. Already I have it mostly stripped down. Gas tank boiled out and lined. Radiator flushed and pressure tested. Radiator shroud replated to original yellow zinc. Front bib off. Soooo... I would like to. Get the frame sandblasted but I don't really want to pull the engine and start disconnecting wiring. I'm open to suggestions and ideas from the experts. Also best place for all rubber weather stripping? Thanks and I'll post pics soon.

I'd not pull the motor... but a lot depends on what shape it's in. Body comes off easy with only a few things to disconnect... pics would help.

Id pull the tub, fix rust, mechanical, paint and drive... keeping length to a minimum so she can drive it before she sees the new Fiat and wants it instead.

Welcome to MUD. This forum is filled with very knowledgeable folks. Post some pics so we can see the new (to you) rig. What rust problems are you facing?

Congrats with one of those ! Welcome to the madness !!

:cheers:

Welcome. Several 77 restoration threads with great detail. My build thread is linked in my signature. My go to thread was Another 77 FJ40 resto .

I stripped mine all the way down and did a complete restoration. Condition and expectations should be the guide as to how far you want to tear it down. All it takes is time and money. I would recommend using OEM weatherstripping. Several places to get it. I bought stuff from most every vendor on the forum. No issues. Do a lot of reading and try to get your head around how you want to build it.

Start a build thread with pictures. Best of luck.

No need to start a new thread... Just add to this one... It's got a great start... You can change the title later

Welcome to mud :)

image.jpeg

Thanks all and will do. Laid up right now after surgery for a ruptured Achilles....

your wife has good taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom