Builds Wife just bought a BJ71, I have many questions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First just let me say what a blast this little BJ71 is to drive!! The wife is loving it, here are a few pics to show how much she really like this thing!

IMGP2588-XL.jpg

This was from a quick ride tonight up the canyon, she's still smiling!!
IMGP2603-XL.jpg

Anywho, on to the questions. First I plan on installing a converter and a stereo tomorrow. How do I hook up the converter or the stereo so the headunit will shut off with the ignition? Is there an accessory wire on the ignition that will work with a 12 volt radio or are all wires on the ignition 24 volt? Can I somehow wire in a relay or something?

Next, there is a really weird rattle in the rear window behind the passenger. It only starts to make noise if the windows are down and at about 30 kph. I think I have it narrowed down to something to do with the weep holes in the window channel but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

Third is cup holders. What are you guys doing for cup holders? I have seen a few threads with custom cup holders or improvising, but I was wondering if Tuffy has ever made a replacement for the center console that included cup holders? If not I might have to get creative and make something work. I'm even considering losing the rear heater and throwing in something with more room in the center console. Thoughts?

Lastly I will leave you guys with not a question but a mystery. While tearing apart the dash in search of a hidden converter (which I found BTW), I noticed a gold spot of the fan for the heater in the passenger foot well. Looking closer it appears to be a medallion of some sort taped to the side of the fan. Here are a few pics:
IMGP2597-XL.jpg

IMGP2600-XL.jpg

IMGP2601-XL.jpg

Any thoughts on this one?? The vehicle was purchased by Land Cruisers Direct in Japan and imported to the US. Any ideas?? I'm kinda stumped on this one. The wife told me to put it back because it might be a good luck charm of some sort???

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. This site has been a great help already and will continue to be into the future!

Cool! I can't say that we are superstitious or even religious but I guess it can't hurt to have it there. I wonder who put it there and how long it has been there??

Great Looking rig,
On the subject of your noise issue, no idea,
Regarding cup holders, I use a twin cutlery holder that came with a dish rack, a pure accidental find, it holds cans, bottles, and coffee, and no spill no date, it's a ripper, & it just sits & leans against front of console

cup holders on my pzj77...
made from organizer bins and bicycle cup holders. attached by velcro.

DSC_0416.jpg

Cool! I can't say that we are superstitious or even religious but I guess it can't hurt to have it there. I wonder who put it there and how long it has been there??

Catholicism is big in Japan. Seeing as though Catholicism is close to witchcraft,they know other forms may try to take over their subjects,hence the medallion LOL

Third is cup holders. What are you guys doing for cup holders? I have seen a few threads with custom cup holders or improvising, but I was wondering if Tuffy has ever made a replacement for the center console that included cup holders? If not I might have to get creative and make something work. I'm even considering losing the rear heater and throwing in something with more room in the center console. Thoughts?

!

If I owned a little gem like that I would ban eating and drinking in it,thus negating the need for cup holders. Original BJ71s dont grow on trees any more.

Tibbs stereos have all sorts of options. I found a converter behind the glove box on mine. Easy install. Just had to run a tap for the memory.

As for the rattle the slide windows get hard. Use good quality cleaner and then amoral or restore or mother's to soften them up. Then check hardware is tight.

Finally I haven't found a cup holder I like yet. I have another inverter in that spot that is right behind the stick shift.

Call anytime I'd love to help out.
80182450 nine nine

Thanks for the offer Micah! Today we tackled the stereo install and had to take a little drive to test it out up AF canyon.;)

I'm looking into the cup holder situation. I have considered losing the rear heater and installing a Tuffy console, but I think we need to go through a winter first and see if the heater is needed. I did find some options on AU, but the prices are a little scarey!!

I'll look into treating the rear slides and see if that helps the noise. I can honestly say that installing the stereo helped out a lot with the noise! Lol

Thanks again for the offer! The offer swings both ways, the wife and I are more than happy to help out if you need some help on your rig!:)

do a proper 24V to 12V converter
keyed 24V relay
24V in and out
24V to inverter
12v out to bluesea fuse box
fuse box to each accessory
takes a bit of time but in the end you will be much happier.
i had a little good luck charm that came in on of the Land Cruisers, i left it there not because i am suppersticious or anything, just cause it was a cool addition that came across the sea.
congrats on getting a real truck.

nothing like boiled balls in the morning ....:crybaby:
<of course for the wife that wouldn't be the issue>

You know Charles the HZJ77 comes with not one but two cup holders right from the get go.

I think I noticed that difference between my BJ70 and HZJ77 before I noticed one was RHD and the other was LHD.

You know Charles the HZJ77 comes with not one but two cup holders right from the get go.

I think I noticed that difference between my BJ70 and HZJ77 before I noticed one was RHD and the other was LHD.
Surprisingly enough, knowing that a Cruiser I can't have comes with the ever elusive cup holders doesn't make me feel better. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom