1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wife...Cancer...need a Miracle

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by scottm, May 3, 2018.

1. John McVicker

John McVicker SILVER Star

Houston. MD Anderson, one of the very best in the world. Good to hear you are considering this option. MDA treats me so I am biased, I just left there 2 days ago...I know you will do what is right for your family. Many consider MDA to be not a last resort, but a 1st resort.

Good luck in this important decision.

stevezero, dieseldog, 1911 and 4 others like this.
  2. 4mydogs

4mydogs

Media:
    Albums:
    Encouraging report. Said a prayer for you all on my morning walk and will continue to offer them up. Also for what it's worth MDA treated a friend of mine for a "terminal" rare blood cancer over 10 years ago. I spoke to him last week and he's continuing to do just fine.

stevezero and John McVicker like this.
  3. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

Glad to hear there are signs of improvement. I'd still recommend that you get her to MD Anderson as quickly as you can, it's an amazing place.

stevezero, dieseldog and titanpat57 like this.
  4. CJF

CJF

Don't debate. Just go. Sure it's inconvenient as hell, but the upsides are unlimited.

^^^
    This is exactly the sh*t that won't happen down there.

5. snobdds

snobdds Ridin Dirty SILVER Star

The Mayo clinic in Minnesota is also very good. Closer to home as well...

Cancer treatments have come a long way in the past 10 years. The key is getting to a facility that does nothing but this stuff and getting treatment early.

My mom had Breast Cancer and I took her to the Huntsman Medical center in Utah, another fantastic facility, and she is still cancer free 6 years later.

Keep up the hope, there are very good treatments these days. She was a healthy person so her chances are very good...

6. titanpat57

titanpat57 Bigfoot?!...never heard of him... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Please....as Curtis just stated....

DO NOT trust the welfare of your most precious thing in life to anybody but the best....I beg you to please go to a world class clinic.

Every single moment you wait, waiting for someone that is an alleged expert, is a moment you can't get back....just go.

When I went to MSK....ALL my testing was finished in under 3 days, and a clear path of treatment in less then a week...IT'S ALL THEY DO.

7. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

This is TRVTH. Don't wait--not on numbers, or anything else. Get you both down to MD Anderson, Scott. It's what you can do for your beloved Debbie. I will get in my truck and pick you both up at the airport if need be and personally deliver you. Just say the word.

8. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    MD Anderson is saying we need to complete some more chemo rounds before they will see us. I guess they prefer to work on people who aren't dying. I'll see if I can get some strings pulled, check Mayo as well.

Franz, 76FJ40, LINUS and 1 other person like this.
  9. LS1FJ40

LS1FJ40 GOLD Star SILVER Star

Everyone is different. I went to MD Anderson and had an awful experience. (Felt like an assembly line and first question I was asked was “do you have your affairs in order?”) You are in middle America? Where? The Mel and Bren Simon Cancer research center at IU in Indianapolis is incredible. Had great experience with them. Mayo in Minnesota is incredible as well. My doctor was out of Philly at Thomas Jefferson University. Administered everything from there depending on where I was living.

Two things matter: 1) the doctors and nurses must give a s*** 2) Debbie must feel confident in them.

stevezero, SMG, scottm and 1 other person like this.
  10. titanpat57

titanpat57 Bigfoot?!...never heard of him... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sure that all these places offer overnight/multinight stays in multiple places around these clinics (either at a very reduced rate or sometimes sponsored by someone else)...many, many people travel from the world over to be treated there. There is also forums much like this that will help you to understand the process, share moment by moment experiences and actually talk with people that are going through what you're going through.

You are never alone. Anytime you think you're in a bad place...there's always someone that is 10x worse off then you...and they're not giving in..and not giving up. You'll understand that once you spend hour upon hour in some of these waiting rooms.

" I guess they prefer to work on people who aren't dying"......I'm not quite sure what you mean by this....but your wife IS NOT dying, and you guys will make it through this nightmare once things start to fall into place.

stevezero likes this.
  11. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    No, she's not dying, thanks. The docs have all been kind of negative about her odds, and said if this chemo didn't get results in the first round they might stop it. So it seems like if they are going to wait until four rounds of chemo, they will know the chemo is working and she will live. Doc says she has two months without treatment, so four rounds of two weeks each would put her at dead, or well on her way to recovery.

Right now she is not dying, she is clearly improving, and I'm pretty happy and grateful for that. But it sounds like MD Anderson won't be an option if she stops getting better, and our local docs seem ready to pull the plug as well.

12. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    True. I was having a pity moment in the oncology waiting room one day. Until I overheard the 7 yr old across from me (bald and wearing a surgical mask) planning his make a wish trip. Knocked me the hell out of my pity party.

SmoothLC, stevezero, ff347 and 3 others like this.
  13. txgringo

txgringo

Very sorry to hear this, but it sounds like you're taking the bull by the horns. My 34 year old sister is fighting breast cancer and is getting treatment through MDA. The "people factor" will vary doctor by doctor anywhere you go, but the way they handle things like lab results seems to be consistent across the provider organization but as you have seen will vary from one organization to another.

One thing you might consider adding to your treatment plan is CBD oil. CBD oil extracted from male plants has zero THC and is legal to purchase/possess/consume in all 50 states. Most vitamin/supplement stores will carry it.

Your doctor cannot advise you to take it because it is not an FDA approved drug. I'm not suggesting that you change or discontinue anything else the doctors are recommending, but just that you consider adding this to your toolbox.

This video explains how CBD helps combat cancer. Of course the cancer explanation is near the very end, but it's just 3 minutes long. I have yet to hear a single documented risk/issue with taking CBD for cancer, and I've heard many success stories.

14. AimCOtaco

AimCOtaco ...---... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Stay strong man, you're doing everything right for her, you, and your family. Keep it up!

Weedhopper, titanpat57 and UltraFJ40 like this.
  15. mrsleeve

mrsleeve

Scott you have our well wishes and prayers as well. I am posting this from a waiting lobby at mayo in MN as they are trying to figure out what is causing my wife sudden onset Neuro symptoms at 34...

I am with everyone else don't delay get your wife to the very best place you can no matter what. We flew in with nothing but hope of getting somewhere and it's happening. There is much to be said for going to where the people care, and know they are the best at what they do.

stevezero, Keowee, 4mydogs and 2 others like this.
  16. spdwaver1

spdwaver1

Media:
    Albums:
    It also helps to find that some purpose and some meaning beyond all the heartache (that is a natural byproduct of this terrible thing) is effecting others' lives for good. While my kiddo shares the same brain cancer as John McCain - glioblastoma - she inspires many others in their fight and also brings about the best in people.

It's not the cancer that inspires, it's the person smiling against it that truly inspires.

Speaking of which, Scott, Sarah is aware of your Debbie and is also interceding on her behalf.

upload_2018-5-17_11-52-10.png

SmoothLC, stevezero, MoJ and 22 others like this.
  17. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Patients have to be their own strongest advocate. If a hospital or a physician, or an insurer put up an obstacle, it MUST be within you to knock those obstacles down and bulldog through them . . . as NO ONE cares for you or your loved ones as YOU DO. Sometimes it’s the squeaky wheel that gets the “grease”, Scott, and if MD Anderson doesn’t immediately open arms to you, you keep hammering home your message. You must be prepared to do some of your own research and find out who to talk with and specifics about the case that will make it become a priority. Though I have not had to deal with cancer, I assure you that through the six-and-a-half years since my crash, my wite and I have had to be the guiding hand behind the direction my case would take. Passivity as a patient does not work and doctors sometimes need a wake-up call. Be prepared to deliver same.

Never give up; hold hope and strength and prayer in all situations. You are not alone, though no one else can fully comprehend the deep emotion and particular challanges that you and Debbie face, there are those who have walked their own difficult paths. Trust in the Lord, and trust in your own advocacy on Debbie’s behalf.

SmoothLC, stevezero, BMThiker and 7 others like this.
  18. 4mydogs

4mydogs

Media:
    Albums:
    You guys are giving me a lot to pray for. Thank you.

stevezero, Keowee, UltraFJ40 and 5 others like this.
  19. Cuerno Largo

Cuerno Largo SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Scott, MD Anderson and a lot of other centers are awesome. A little insight into smaller centers is that they also follow the treatment protocols developed by those centers. There may be outliers, certainly. Find a center in your sphere of possibility and go with it. Even if it is your local center. Ask good questions. Ask if they are following the same treatment protocols for type and staging. Every member of your family is involved in this fight. Including your MUD family. The closer you can keep all of them, the better in my opinion.

UltraFJ40 likes this.
  20. kiley7483

kiley7483

Media:
    Albums:
    Prayers from Arkansas. Keep ur faith it wouldn't be the first miracle I have seen but you got to believe

spdwaver1 and UltraFJ40 like this.