wierd "air-release" sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well, this has to be the strangest sound ive heard yet, but when i get in my rig to start it up...this load "PFFFFFFFTT" goes off. the only way i can describe it is, it sounds like a beer bottle is being opened. i cant figure out where its commin from. any takers on this one? -other sean

Right when you start it? Or on it's way up to operating temp?

when im trying to start it. i cant seem to narrow down where the sound is comming from, because its so speratic. its sounds like gas fumes venting or sumthn... im soooo sik of all of this. 1st its my vacuum problems, then i cant shift into second, now this... -sean

SOMETIMES I CAN HEAR MY heater core filling up.
otherwise its my fat butt deflating the seat! ;)

i had my office partner listen, and we think its comming from the rear of the vehicle. like maybe its comming from the "fuel seperator" in the passenger rear 1/4 panel....

I was gonna vote - compressor...

I know you have an ARB compressor...but without pressurizing first (I know you'd hear the compressor kick on) and the fact it's coming from the rear...I'm retracting my compressor idea.

Did you plug your EGR?Maybe it's related to that?

when you pull the interior panel to look at that separator thing...is it more audible? Can you smell fuel?

not much help, I know....

the noise is made when the car is cold or hot or both? and if it smells like fuel and is coming from the back by the fuel tank then you are on the correct path!!

you did say you have vaccum problems?

gas cap?

also check the condition of your gas cap? maybe it's releasing from there?

Is it possible that the sound is coming from under the passenger side dash? If so this is a small explosion from inside the dizzy. The stock distributor has two tubes running into the cap. One runs under the dash to suck in dry clean air. The other runs to the aircleaner. Fuel vapors can build-up inside the dizzy cap when sitting and be ignited by a spark inside the cap when you try to start it. The resulting "beer bottle" sound is the expanding air exiting through the tube under the dash. It doesn't hurt anything, but can be annoying if it does it all the time.

humper99 said:
Is it possible that the sound is coming from under the passenger side dash? If so this is a small explosion from inside the dizzy. The stock distributor has two tubes running into the cap. One runs under the dash to suck in dry clean air. The other runs to the aircleaner. Fuel vapors can build-up inside the dizzy cap when sitting and be ignited by a spark inside the cap when you try to start it. The resulting "beer bottle" sound is the expanding air exiting through the tube under the dash. It doesn't hurt anything, but can be annoying if it does it all the time.

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!!! we listened closer, and it IS comming from the dash area. whats the fix, and is this an issue?

Looks like you should put comprehensive on it & park it on the street hoping it gets struck by lightning.

But really, there's a solenoid valve by the charcoal canister that controls the evap line from the tank - can't remember what it's supposed to do & when. Pull the rear passenger panel (use a putty knife & be careful, the masonite gets soft over time - the clips are available so don't worry about breaking them) & have your office partner start the truck while you lay back there. You might have to invest in a mechanic's stethoscope to narrow it down.

My dad would make us kids ride in the trunk to listen for noises. I think we were the ones he was trying to quiet down.

stethoscope...

Hullendersauce...I've got one if you want to borrow it...stethoscope thingie, that is

Check the VCV valve on the driver side fender.It might be stuck close causing the fuel vapors to buildup in dizzy.

that is exacatly what it is! drove me nuts when my 60 did the same.

humper99 said:

I experienced the same situation too and this thread has helped to understand it. I just changed dizzys to a DUI so theoritacally, I shouldn't hear this sound again. Thanks.

same thing happens to me. i hear a little "explosion" sound from under the pass dash.
funny thing, it only happens when the temp. outside is under 50 degrees. as a matter of fact, my idle is always much better when the temp is lower outside.
hammer

There should be a funny multilegged valve thing ( I know, Hi Tech Terms)
under passanger side air cleaner housing.

Valve allows suction from passanger comartment ( filter above/behind A/C fan),
through dizzy to intake system (where the vacuum is...)

Little valve supposed to not allow crankcase/carb vapours to be drawn ito dizzy...

Mine seldom does,,,on really hot days i might get 'phhhht' & smell like a cap-gun...

toyman317 said:
I experienced the same situation too and this thread has helped to understand it. I just changed dizzys to a DUI so theoritacally, I shouldn't hear this sound again. Thanks.

DUI? and can this be fixed? seems like mine is harder to start when that PFFFFT happens....and i smell gap guns/gas too! w/in the last 2 months, i tuned up with ALL Toyota parts, and ND plugs. -other sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom