SOLD WI - 1968 FJ40 w/ 1976 Drive Train & Correct 68 Hardtop - Price Drop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Color
rgba(61, 17, 17, 0.41)
I will try to list all the meaningful details below:
  • 1968 FJ40 runs and drives, clear 1968 title. (located in zip code 53406)
  • 1976 FJ40 drive train (factory disc brake front end and the 4-speed). Not sure if the rear axle assy is 68 or 76. I could take a look at the rear drive shaft flange to see if it is a large or small pattern.
  • This was a project that I picked up a while back assuming I would get around to completing it as another driver but I need to pick up the pace and finish my 67. To finish the 67 will take a load of cash so it's time to offload other projects and parts that are taking up space and diverting my focus from the 67.
  • Mid floor was replaced by a PO but they replaced it with thinner material that original. The floor is solid with the exception of the gas tank well which has rotted through. Back half of the tub inside and out, is solid, with uncut and unmolested wheel wells. Even the rear sill is solid. Front clip is solid (correct bib and split hood).
  • Cowl is solid including floor pans that angle upwards.
  • Original transmission hump has been butchered to accommodate the floor shift 4-speed and transfer case.
  • Original 1976 2F running and driving (with weber carb). Forgot to put the air cleaner back on when I took the pics. It is here and included.
  • Brakes are very spongy. Brake master was empty when I picked it up.
  • It will be multicolored as I am making it as complete as possible with extra parts on hand. Tub, front clip, half doors, and windshield frame are black, doors will either be green or blue but will be correct style and complete with good glass. Hanging doors this weekend.
  • Folding type roll bar is installed but no jump seats.
  • A PO welded the spare tire carrier hinges to the tub (and did a s*** job on top of it). No carrier, just the tub female hinges are present.
  • I drove it up and down the driveway, 1st & 2nd gear, then reversed it back into the barn, no issues other than the brakes.
  • I changed out the 75 hardtop which was wrong for this rig, to another 68 top from another vehicle so the backside is all correct now. The 75 top will be for sale in a separate ad. The top is just sitting on here, no bolts are in place and it is not fully seated on the tub so there are some gaps around the doors, etc...
What will it need:
  • Windshield glass (currently empty frame)
  • Replacement windshield hinges as a PO welded these hinges, not sure why. I will provide you with the replacement hinges.
  • Driver side seat.....I just bought a decent split bench for the passenger side and it will come with the truck.
  • Gas tank (I may have one spare but I will have to verify)
  • Bottom latch for the half doors (half doors have some rot on the outside bottom face)
  • One tire is not holding air (rim leak.
  • I have a set of 5, white & somewhat rusty 15 x 8 wagon wheels that can go with this if you want them (FREE).
  • Brakes need to be fully bled as the pedal is spongy but pumping it does firm it up.
  • One spot on the inside of the upper lip of the hardtop (passenger side) will need some work.
  • Back lift gate is solid but has a dent right of the outside handle. Handle works fine.
  • A good tune up. Starts right up with starting fluid and then will continue to idle and run but it run but somewhat rough. There is an exhaust manifold leak where the manifold meets the downpipe. I did blow a good size mouse house out of the tailpipe when I started it up, maybe some is still left in there and causing too much backpressure?
  • Gas is probably very old which probably contributes to the rough running.
  • Blue doors have some small holes and pinholes near the bottoms but overall solid structure to work with, should be a minimal issue to fix.
  • Fiberglass topper is in good shape. PO sanded it down for I assume a new gelcoat but never did it. Half the work is done for you already.
Well, that's all the details I can think of at this point. Please ask if you have questions.

Ok I tried to take pics (60+) and 2 videos. One video is of the engine running and the other video shows me walking around the truck with a magnet showing it sticks everywhere, fenders, rear sill, rockers, rear corners. etc....Overall great project rig.

Videos and all the pics are at the Google Drive link below.

$6000

Thanks
Drake

1639947231631.JPEG

1639947230458.JPEG

1639947232801.JPEG

1639947231272.JPEG

1639947238111.JPEG

1639947234410.JPEG

Last edited:
I’d love to see the hardtop sides, May be interested in those if shipping to NY isn’t in the stratosphere. And if they don’t end up going with the truck! GLWS

I’d love to see the hardtop sides, May be interested in those if shipping to NY isn’t in the stratosphere. And if they don’t end up going with the truck! GLWS
Hi there, I'll let you know if the top stays behind.

Pics & Google Drive link added if you want to see all the pics and video

More pics uploaded

Seems like a good price in this market, and a perfect restmod combo in my opinion. You get the better steel of the 68 body with the better, later drivetrain. GLWS
Thanks and I agree with you.

Bump

Exactly. What would I do with it. I mean maybe. Considering it
I tried to photo all the critical areas but if you need additional pics let me know. Did you check out all the pics at the Google drive link?

Drop to $6,000

Bump

Hey there, is there any car left from the original posting?
Hi there, not sure of your question. "Is there any car left"???

Well, you posted all those great pictures more than a month ago, and people started asking about the hardtop - just wondering how much has been parted out already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom