Why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is built no a taco platform

All sorts of goodies will be available for it immedately.

I say if you want a NEW FJ40, get an Icon. That thing is cool..

I dont kow how much of this was BS but the nice blond lady* with Toyota said from her very own mouth, that they "almost" imported the Prado here.... :eek:
She was pulled away before we could aks more, I dont know if it came up again at the party or not?

Just a little of the fun topice alot missed at the show :cheers:

*the one wanting a limited name for said FJC

The Prado is here, it is called the GX470 and the 4runner (with slightly different body).

I can see both sides of the IFS/SFA arguement. Did anyone ask why they didn't make the top removable? I think that would made a huge difference in its acceptance but the cruiser comunity. Yeah I know they are targeting the xterra crowd, but with body on frame design (shouldn't weaken the body) Why not?. That option could make a huge difference in someone's decission to purchase one or the other. They could have hit 2 separate target groups with that one option.

Last edited:
green73 said:
I can see both sides of the IFS/SFA arguement. Did anyone ask why they didn't make the top removable? I think that would made a huge difference in its acceptance but the cruiser comunity. Yeah I know they are targeting the xterra crowd, but with body on frame design (shouldn't weaken the body) Why not?. That option could make a huge difference in someone's decission to purchase one or the other. They could have hit 2 separate target groups with that one option.

The question was brought up about a removable top, We were ho hummed about it, So they got the big cheese design guy from Japan and all he did when asked about it was laugh.... :rolleyes: Not to mention he didnt speak very good English. The other guy, said there were plenty of aftermarked sunroof vendors that would love to put one of there's in.

Vitesse_6 said:
The other guy, said there were plenty of aftermarked sunroof vendors that would love to put one of there's in.

Does that mean someone has heard from Toyota that a sunroof is a no go?

Granger said:
Does that mean someone has heard from Toyota that a sunroof is a no go?

Not that I have heard, It was probly something to tell us just for the sake of telling us something....Its hard to say, They didnt even say for sure there will be one down the road.

In talking with one of the FJ team members for about an hour at the party, I was told...

1. Everything retro was a huge battle with Toyota Japan.
a. TOTOYA spelled out on the grille was a major battle and one TMS guy took on Japan to get it. Japan just didn't understand.
b. The white top was an issue.
c. SFA was not even considered by Japan.
d. The offset of the spare tire all the way to one side was wanted by TMS as well but they didn't choose that as a battle to fight too hard about.

From years of talking to my friend Will Carroll, (Master Tech and now Regional Trainer for TMS)....

Toyota Japan is very difficult to deal with trying to get them to understand what we "need" in the US.
Example, after years of TMS asking for a full-size truck they finally said, OK, we'll design one for you. The T100 was the answer. TMS again asks for a real full-sized truck, the Tundra was designed. Again, TMS says we need a REAL FULL-SIZED truck, we'll see what we get here soon.

So what I'm seeing, is that TMS did the best they could to answer our pleas with the constraints of Japan. After experiencing the FJ in person, I'd say they did a good job and I applaud their efforts. If I had the $$, I'd be on the list and buying one ASAP. I've owned several Cruisers (40s, 60s, 80s) and minis/runners for the last 20+ years and I think that the FJ is a quality vehicle that I would not hesitate to take anywhere I'd want to go, including 3rd world expeditions.

Why does anyone want a pre-built "J**P Rubicon" type vehicle anyway? I would rather build my vehicle how I want it, starting with a spartan, rugged, bullet-proof platform (old Cruiser)! Of course I'd love to have a 70 series troopy or pickup, but until the US reverts into a rugged wilderness requiring one, they're just not going to be imported here by Toyota.

Darren Webster
Salt Lake City
TLCA 4061
Wasatch Cruisers 104
93 FZJ80
72 FJ40

cruisermon said:
In talking with one of the FJ team members for about an hour at the party, I was told...

1. Everything retro was a huge battle with Toyota Japan.
a. TOTOYA spelled out on the grille was a major battle and one TMS guy took on Japan to get it. Japan just didn't understand.
b. The white top was an issue.
c. SFA was not even considered by Japan.
d. The offset of the spare tire all the way to one side was wanted by TMS as well but they didn't choose that as a battle to fight too hard about.

From years of talking to my friend Will Carroll, (Master Tech and now Regional Trainer for TMS)....

Toyota Japan is very difficult to deal with trying to get them to understand what we "need" in the US.
Example, after years of TMS asking for a full-size truck they finally said, OK, we'll design one for you. The T100 was the answer. TMS again asks for a real full-sized truck, the Tundra was designed. Again, TMS says we need a REAL FULL-SIZED truck, we'll see what we get here soon.

So what I'm seeing, is that TMS did the best they could to answer our pleas with the constraints of Japan. After experiencing the FJ in person, I'd say they did a good job and I applaud their efforts. If I had the $$, I'd be on the list and buying one ASAP. I've owned several Cruisers (40s, 60s, 80s) and minis/runners for the last 20+ years and I think that the FJ is a quality vehicle that I would not hesitate to take anywhere I'd want to go, including 3rd world expeditions.

Why does anyone want a pre-built "J**P Rubicon" type vehicle anyway? I would rather build my vehicle how I want it, starting with a spartan, rugged, bullet-proof platform (old Cruiser)! Of course I'd love to have a 70 series troopy or pickup, but until the US reverts into a rugged wilderness requiring one, they're just not going to be imported here by Toyota.

Darren Webster
Salt Lake City
TLCA 4061
Wasatch Cruisers 104
93 FZJ80
72 FJ40
Darren! Welcome...Way to go on the first post....I guess its all downhill from here :cheers:

Kinda makes you wonder where Japan is getting their information, specifically the SFA.

You would think TMS would do the marketing research, and if their research would say it would be a positive, the only thing that Japan would have to offset it would be a perception of the US as a soft-road market.

The whole T100 thing should have taught them that, when designing a vehicle that's solely going to be a US market truck, it's in their best interest to listen to the US market.

But I agree, the FJ is a great vehicle. It's not perfect, nor has there ever been any vehicle that was.

Um hate to burst your buble but toyota did offer sfa to neiche markets and has done for over 15 years, namely australia. up untill recently we have had sfa 100 series cruiser's and a litany of other models here with a solid front axle's. toyota seems to be moving ahead though to ifs for all 4x4 but im wondering why they didnt borrow the same system in the 100 series we get here that had a sfa it would require little to adapt to a smaller platform, hell a troopy or 75 ute would be easy to use parts they have already developed.

but if the fj comes down under i pray it has an sfa but i doubt it since now all cruiser's and prado's are ifs and the new troopy is due soon and even it may lose its sfa

tim

Landpimp said:
here ya go
http://www.sor.com/SOR_82BJ42-LX.html
013.jpg

Queensland truck - RACQ sticker!

timespast said:
Um hate to burst your buble

but if the fj comes down under i pray it has an sfa but i doubt it since now all cruiser's and prado's are ifs and the new troopy is due soon and even it may lose its sfa

tim

Me too. The FJC is a Northern US vehicle only...so they said.
:cheers:

timespast said:
Um hate to burst your buble but toyota did offer sfa to neiche markets and has done for over 15 years, namely australia. up untill recently we have had sfa 100 series cruiser's and a litany of other models here with a solid front axle's. toyota seems to be moving ahead though to ifs for all 4x4 but im wondering why they didnt borrow the same system in the 100 series we get here that had a sfa it would require little to adapt to a smaller platform, hell a troopy or 75 ute would be easy to use parts they have already developed.

tim

Who's bubble you think you're bursting?

TMS = Toyota Motor Sales = North America. This is a North American vehicle, hence the North American specific discussion.

At this point, I don't see the FJ ever being offered with SFA in any country as I'd bet it would require a different frame to support it, much like the 100 and 105 series.

shocker said:
The whole T100 thing should have taught them that, when designing a vehicle that's solely going to be a US market truck, it's in their best interest to listen to the US market.

Strangely enough the resale value on the T100 is very high. I like them :).

timespast said:
up untill recently we have had sfa 100 series cruiser's

You still do have 105, which is the 100 series with the solid front axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom