Why your 80 is heavy.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While doing the HG work last month, I removed the hoods on the trucks to make the work and lighting easier. I don't know how many of you have had occasion to pick up the hood of any car, but this was by far the heaviest hood I have ever moved. That includes some hefty mid 60s American iron.

It was fine for the two of us, but required 3 to put it back on due to the need to hold it precisely for realignment. It surprised me the thickness of the metal and I'd guess it weighed right around 100lbs. While working on the engine, other parts would strike you as heavy also. The 3lb cast iron EGR valve comes to mind, the extra thick exhaust manifolds, and other things go a long way to explain why my 7yo daughter exclaimed "Wow, Bessie's a pig!" when I told her what the dump scale read. We were running errands together after school and one was to get rid of used oil.

And yes, I got a kick out of her use of the word Pig so I showed her the cool enamel emblems on the fenders I got from a forum member last year. These are the ones that have a chrome pig in the center and "Cruiserhead Forever" in the old Cruiser font. She enjoyed it and now is calling the garage our pig sty with a pair of pigs in it.....

DougM

You are weakening in your olde age Douglas. Shipping weight on the hood is 52.6 lbs....:D

cruiserdan said:
Shipping weight on the hood is 52.6 lbs

Painted or unpainted?

-B-

Primed, in a big cardboard box which weighs more than the insulator and washer nozzles and finish paint that aren't there yet......;)

Oh, and the hood insulator clips too.....:flipoff2:

It's not that bad. I was able to do it myself. Same with the hatch in the rear.

Uhhh, I think it was wet from rain. And, uhhhh I had the gas struts still on it, and the bug deflector. And, uhhhh............

Seriously - you took one off alone? Clearly your Preying Mantis Ninja Hood Stance is superior to my Geisha Girl Hostess Tray Carrying Position. I bow in your general direction.

DougM

02-07-06 07:13 PM
IdahoDoug Uhhh, I think it was wet from rain. And, uhhhh I had the gas struts still on it, and the bug deflector. And, uhhhh............

Seriously - you took one off alone? Clearly your Preying Mantis Ninja Hood Stance is superior to my Geisha Girl Hostess Tray Carrying Position. I bow in your general direction.

DougM

Man,

No matter what I try...The only mental image I can formulate (Preying Mantis Ninja Hood Stance) is Ralph Macchio on some dock piling in Karate Kid 2.

:rolleyes:

LOL, I'm glad other people are bagging on you, I put mine ON by myself, with the help of a prop rod. Of course, if you ever saw my truck, you'd realize I don't have much respect for bodywork... :D

-Spike

Indeed Doug-san I practiced my hood discuss throwing while it was off. Now I'm working on tire rotations without a floor jack.

cruiserman said:
Indeed Doug-san I practiced my hood discuss throwing while it was off. Now I'm working on tire rotations without a floor jack.

I believe that is the first bit of humour we've seen out of Eric in over 4 years on these 80's forums. :D

-B-

IdahoDoug said:
Uhhh, I think it was wet from rain. And, uhhhh I had the gas struts still on it, and the bug deflector. And, uhhhh............

DougM

ROTFLMAO!!

Everything on the 80 is built heavy. formed steel wheel well liners, heavy duty construction everywhere, metal latches instead of plastic clips... if it weren't for 1990 rubber seal technology, the 80 could probably run 300,000K without ever changing anything except fluids.

Too bad that almost everything great about the 80 cannot be quantified in a sales pitch to today's consumer. I would love to see a 2006 version of the 80 but I know this is the last of it from any manufacturer, which is why I got it.

Agree that Eric is clearly in a good mood today. Must have been spring-like in Southern Idaho as well, then?

DougMsan

45*F and sunny today. Excellent soccer weather.

Nice....

Should be road riding this week.

-Spike- said:
LOL, I'm glad other people are bagging on you, I put mine ON by myself, with the help of a prop rod. Of course, if you ever saw my truck, you'd realize I don't have much respect for bodywork... :D

-Spike

LOL, now thats funny. Kevin told me once that you have more disregard for body panels than I do. I just covered all my dents and scrapes with durabak, while that front fender of yours...

cruiserman said:
It's not that bad. I was able to do it myself. Same with the hatch in the rear.

I took that same hatch in the rear off by myself and it was a PITA, much worse than the hood I thought. I think Eric has been chewing on some energy bars or something? The only Hercules moment I've had lately was lifting a 1/4 tank of gas in the 80 tank. There was quite a bit of moving around to get that thing out. I was just glad I didn't have to put it back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom