Why won't this Tire Carrier fit?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I have a FJ40 production date 10/1972. It was missing the tire carrier so I recently purchased one on ebay:
Item number: 290014343497

My FJ40 still had the original hinges so I put it on today. It comes close to closing but will not clear some of the hinge bolts. I checked the hinges it came with and they look the same. Am I missing something here?? Here is the text from the one I purchased:

good used tire carrier from 67 40 fits all up to 74 or can mount on newer truck and carry 2 tires includes body latch and original lugnuts.

I *think* the only difference between the pre- and post-71 models had to do with the orientation of the hinge pins. The one you bought looks to have the later style, so I don't doubt that they are the same. On the early ones, the body half of the hinges contained the pins - pointing up with the castle nut at the top.

All that said, I don't quite get where you're having the problem? What is hitting? Which bolts are you talking about? Could you take a picture of the problem area?

Here's the fullsize one from the auction:
8a_1.JPG

77 spare carrier

Not really answering your question here, but does anyone know how big of a spare i can fit on a stock 77 swing out carrier. I would like to carry a 33x10.50 if i could.

maybey thats why there was no tirecarrier it may have been hit and didnt close right or the hinges are bent it may not be the carrier your not looking at the whole picture just the carrier have interchanged many of those with no problems other than bent body mounts then a come along or porta power usually fixes it good luck

Left or right side oriented?

Different models mounted the carrier on opposite sides of the tub. My '75 came with the mount on the passenger side, but it had holes with captive nuts on both sides. I have a carrier mounted on the driver's side right now, covering all of Toyota's pretty badging. I don't think the left-handed carrier mounts on the right, and vice versa.

I have a passenger side mount available from arizona for sale, you know what that means.

Mr. Toad said:
Different models mounted the carrier on opposite sides of the tub. My '75 came with the mount on the passenger side, but it had holes with captive nuts on both sides. I have a carrier mounted on the driver's side right now, covering all of Toyota's pretty badging. I don't think the left-handed carrier mounts on the right, and vice versa.

I'm with Toad on this. The OEM carrier I have (for sale :) ) came with my '76. It is the complete opposite of what you have there as it mounts on the driver's side...Yours looks like what mine did before I rotated the picture right side up :eek:

Pics can be seen here to compare with what you have...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=99844

New pictures of Tire Carrier not fitting

Here are pictures showing why the carrier does not fit. It is hitting on the bolts that hold the hinge to the body. When I purchased it the ad said it would fit a 1967 - 1974. I guess this is not the case. My production date is 10 / 1972
Can it be made to fit (probably not). Anyone have the right one that I need??

Last edited:
Pretty much anything can be made to fit...Question is do you want to do that. Pics are too small to see much detail...

As for one for sale, I have one for a '76 for sale but it appears yours is backward from mine...See above for the link to pics

Wadesters said:
Here are pictures showing why the carrier does not fit. It is hitting on the bolts that hold the hinge to the body. When I purchased it the ad said it would fit a 1967 - 1974. I guess this is not the case. My production date is 10 / 1972

I don't know why you are haveing this problem. I had the same problem with my 63 after I started putting it back together after my frame off. I couldn't understand why I was haveing that problem also

The solution for me was to get some thick rubber. I used some conveyer belt stuff.
It is about 3/8" thick. I put it in between the post and the body. In essence it's a shim. but by bringing the hinge out 3/8 I was able to clear everything else.

aw

to resize your photo's (windows operating system) right click the photo, then on the screen that comes up click edit, then window's paint comes up, click on image (at the top of screen) another window opens, click on the stretch/skew and another window opens, change the setting from 100% to about 35% (you may have to mess with the setting depending on pic size) and then click file (at the top) click save as, and give the pic a name or add a number or letter and now you can load the pic to mud.

hope this helps!

Last edited:
buying another carrier will not solve your problem try it on another toyota plus you did not use the hinges that came with the carier how do you know yours are not bent try to close it without those bolts and see if it lines up my geuss its your truck it takes a small bend in the body or mounts to make it not work good luck

Wadesters said:

Try hosting the original picture somewhere else (like photobucket.com or villagephotos.com), then link them here so they show up full size.

In the mean time, can you email me the full picture? fj40eric@comcast.net

I never had my OEM carrier on but I went out and measured the space between the hinge and the rear of the carrier. Only the top hinge would come into play (at least on mine) as the bottom hinge is below the bottom of the carrier.

Anyway, there is a good 1 and a 1/4 inches between the hinge plate and the rear of the carrier. Even with some real big honking bolts I can't see how the head of the bolt would come close to the rear of the carrier to keep it from closing...

I'm wondering...Did you by chance use the hinges for the rear swing doors to mount your carrier (if that is even possible...I looked at my '74 and it doesn't look like it would be...)?

Did you compare your hinges that you used to the hinges of the other carrier pic posted in this thread or to mine (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=99844)? I can't really tell but yours look small and with not near as much 'hinge' compared to mine and the other carrier posted.

HTH is so way and good luck! Like another poster stated...you may be able to shim it although from you pic and description it appears the carrier is hitting the hinge bolts so I don't know if shiming will help in this case...

Good luck :)

corsair23 said:
Anyway, there is a good 1 and a 1/4 inches between the hinge plate and the rear of the carrier. Even with some real big honking bolts I can't see how the head of the bolt would come close to the rear of the carrier to keep it from closing...
X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom